Hybrid View

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just took another look at my gas numbers from June 1 to September 31 for both 2016 and 2017. Both summers were similar driving habits and conditions. In 2016 I rode 8171 miles and used 275.81 gallons of 91 octane. In 2017 I rode 8155 miles and used 274.92 gallons of 87 octane. So, for 2016 I had 29.625 MPG on 91 and for 2017 I had 29.663 MPG on 87. 87 octane gave me 0.0375 better MPG! That was a whopping 0.13% improvement! Virtually all of the gas was ethanol based.

Ron's numbers are for a 998 engine and mine for a 1330 engine. I think engine design is a factor in why Ron, and other 998 owners, have experienced better mileage with 91 octane.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Ron's numbers are for a 998 engine and mine for a 1330 engine. I think engine design is a factor in why Ron, and other 998 owners, have experienced better mileage with 91 octane.
    There is that!

The 998 engines are designed and tuned as high revving high performance engines with a fairly tight (& high) power band in a wide rev range, peaking well up into the 8000's; while the 1330 engines are designed and tuned as slower revving high torque engines with a pretty wide & flattish torque band in a shorter rev range, peaking in the 5,000's.... I can't recall if there's any difference between the two in compression ratio as well, and I'm not anywhere near a ready source of that info, but I suspect there'll be some difference... With any luck, someone here will be able to chime in & tell us all what the compression ratios are and if there's any significant difference?!

Still, given the above it's not all that surprising that the 998 engine's notice the difference in octane rating more than the 1330's - high revving high performance engines and their 'higher/tighter' state of tune generally means that they are more critically reactive to any changes in the things that let them work at their best; while slower revving 'lazier' engines tend to run a less critical/more forgiving state of tune and so are far more tolerant of any variations in any/all of the variables like octane rating, altitude, fuel temperature, ambient temperature etc...

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-07-2023 at 06:41 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I just took another look at my gas numbers from June 1 to September 31 for both 2016 and 2017. Both summers were similar driving habits and conditions. In 2016 I rode 8171 miles and used 275.81 gallons of 91 octane. In 2017 I rode 8155 miles and used 274.92 gallons of 87 octane. So, for 2016 I had 29.625 MPG on 91 and for 2017 I had 29.663 MPG on 87. 87 octane gave me 0.0375 better MPG! That was a whopping 0.13% improvement! Virtually all of the gas was ethanol based.

??? I average 34 MPG +/- tenths regularly with 87 octane. And I like jacket rabbit starts and going vroom vroom, and when not doing that I run on CC.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.