Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
I know it's coming down to 'semantics', but it does make it a lot easier for everyone reading and especially for all those with the same issues and/or any who might potentially help you if you use the same terminology as everyone else, so there's just a few things that are worth clarifying here Columbia....

In this Post of mine, one of 11 or so in the Thread so far, I've quoted your Post #7 above. A collection of Posts all on the same subject and following one after another make a Thread, cos the discussion follows the same thread & the posts all string together. We try very hard to make sure that all the Threads here go into the most appropriate sub-forum (in this case, Spyder ST - Sport Touring ) under the applicable section (in this case, Spyder & Ryker Discussions ) so that both now and into the future, it'll make it easier for anyone looking/searching on the subject. But do note that most regular readers/Members use the provided 'New Posts', 'Today's Posts', or 'What's New' searches (see the menu lines above the scrolling Sponsor's banners & below the Spyder Community line ) to see what's happened on the Forum since they were last here, so they may not easily see what Section or Sub-Forum you've put your thread into - which is why we try very hard to encourage posters to briefly state their question in the Thread Title of any New Thread they may start!

Other media &/or sites may have different Rules, conventions, and might even use different terminology, but the conventions above have been around and used in Internet Forums pretty much since Internet Forums were invented... and altho it does make me feel old to admit it, I was around & involved in the industry when that happened! Anyhow, that's the basic housekeeping stuff, now on to the ST Specific stuff....

With regards to your ST, there really isn't all that much that's MAJORLY different between it and all the 998 powered RT's, except for the final fit & trim stuff ahead of the seat and the rear Panniers & Trunk alongside/behind the seat. AND once again, apart from the final fit & trim, there's also really not all that much difference between your ST & all the GS & RS/RSS's out there especially the later model Spyders. So apart from some relatively minor differences that are largely cosmetic, all the threads that refer to changing the plugs and leads on any similar year/model Spyder (especially those since 2013) with the same V-Twin 991 model 998cc Rotax motor, will apply equally as well to your ST in MOST respects, altho there may be some (relatively minor) differences in the way you have to remove the tupperware, which may have some (relatively minor) differences in appearance depending upon the year/model Spyder of any ilk - GS, RS, RSS, or RT that it is. Sure, there are SOME differences, but having worked on them all, they really are relatively minor, especially once they hit the 'Upgrade Models' in 2013, cos from 2013 on, the RS's, the RSS's, the ST's, and the RT's regardless of which trim level within that particular model were very much the same bikes underneath with only minor tupperware & fittings differences!

So I can tell you for a fact that they're ALL a pain to work on, but if you want to swap the plugs and leads on your 2015 ST, a Spyder that has the same 998 cc V-Twin motor as my 2013 RT and any 2013 & on RS, RSS, or ST Spyders, then apart from the (relatively minor) differences in the appearance and way you actually remove some of the tupperware, the mirrors etc, and apart from a few minor bits inside (that you & your ST generally get somewhat easier than the RT owners/techs do! ) you'll still hafta do pretty much everything I hafta do to change my RT's plugs & leads; and on either Spyder, in factory trim, it's a right pain, largely because of all the bulky Ait Box & the 'pre-air filter' air inlet trunking!!
Your paragraph on the ST is right on the money Peter. There is absolutely no difference between the RT format and the ST format regarding engine components. It's all the same engine and components. The ST was a way to buy a "stripped down" RT...such as the GS and RS were before the introduction of the RT. You could get the "bare" ST which took the RT back to the GS/RS version or you could add accessories such as saddlebags, windshield etc. to dress it up. I never figured out the reasoning for that one...add bags, and a windshield, might as well get a basic RT.

Mechanically, a Spyder with a 998 engine is just that. Most are finding out that plugs will last up to 50,000 miles or more. It is usually the "wiring" that gets screwed up. That happened to me on my 2008 GS. Wiring got a bare spot and would short out if I drove in the rain.