Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jjc54 View Post
    What was the viscosity?
    13.7 @ 100 degrees C

Spyder Garage

Like watching Nascar, waiting for a wreck. But not with Amsoil!!!!
    Last edited by Mikey; 04-21-2024 at 04:21 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting the analysis, it is difficult to read but the comments in the upper part is where they talk about the oxidation number and not the TBN (total base number) which usually indicates how much protection against acid formation the used oil still retains. It might be helpful to ask the lab how or if oxidation relates to TBN? Amsoil usually has a higher TBN to combat acid formation.
    The second comment is about minor fuel dilution which is at 3.? percent and the viscosity being reduced a bit. The cst reading converts to a 30 SAE wt. so definitely in the 10-40 range.

Did you take this oil sample after a long ride or just after a short warmup? The reason I ask is for me its unusual to see fuel dilution in a gasoline oil because it would tend to evaporate once the oil is up to temperature. If the oil was hot you may want to resample at a shorter interval and see what the analysis shows? Maybe you have a leaky injector but that is just a SWAG not a reason for concern if the engine is running well?

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this analysis?
    Last edited by AndysF3S; 04-21-2024 at 03:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AndysF3S View Post
    Thanks for posting the analysis, it is difficult to read but the comments in the upper part is where they talk about the oxidation number and not the TBN (total base number) which usually indicates how much protection against acid formation the used oil still retains. It might be helpful to ask the lab how or if oxidation relates to TBN? Amsoil usually has a higher TBN to combat acid formation.
    The second comment is about minor fuel dilution which is at 3.? percent and the viscosity being reduced a bit. The cst reading converts to a 30 SAE wt. so definitely in the 10-40 range.

Did you take this oil sample after a long ride or just after a short warmup? The reason I ask is for me its unusual to see fuel dilution in a gasoline oil because it would tend to evaporate once the oil is up to temperature. If the oil was hot you may want to resample at a shorter interval and see what the analysis shows? Maybe you have a leaky injector but that is just a SWAG not a reason for concern if the engine is running well?

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this analysis?
    The sample was taken after a 30 mile ride after a 15 minute off period while I jacked up the bike and removed the underbody splashpans. The lab uses 5 levels from 0-4 with 0 being normal and 4 being critical. Fuel dilution was 2.4% considered by them level 1. Iron was 173 or level 2. Oxidation was 37 level 4 critical. The previous sample the oxidation number was 10 normal. Iron was 173 level 2 last time 44 normal. Viscosity was 12.3 level 1 last time 8.7 critical. Tin was 1 considered normal last time was 3 level 2. There is a column just left of oxidation labeled Base No. D4739 with values in mg KOH/g. The value is 5.87 considered level 0. The previous sample was 4.00 considered level 0. You can read their comments on oxidation from my post #42. Thanks for your time.
    2016 Spyder RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

Interesting about your fuel dilution results. I was surprised to find that my dilution was 3% at my first oil change. I took it for a run of serval Km and it was fully warmed up, but maybe I should have run further. Will know when I change it again later this year. Amsoil 10w40 in it now.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2022 Spyder RTL- dark trim
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S Fastback
    1969 Barracuda, 6.1 Hemi restomod, convertible
    1970 Plymouth Superbird, 440-6bbl

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

For folks with fuel concerns on their oil samples, you might consider that if the Spyder has a remapped ignition, that could be a source.

Greater power output requires more fuel to make the power, even running rich of peak to keep valves, pistons, etc from becoming damaged.

Also, a poorly working or failed fuel tank purge system could introduce raw excess fuel.

Ambient temps also require fuel adjustments to obtain proper trims. In higher heat areas, the greater intake temp will cause a rich condition and significant power loss. Simply another possibility.

Not saying that is the absolute reason why, just areas of concern I would have.