Spyder Garage

Default GBPS Initialization Reset Failed TIMEOUT - Help?

2016 Spyder RT

Had a faulty GBPS. Replaced sensor. New sensor wasn’t happy so went to perform the GBPS Reset. Thought it was in N when I started the process and it wasn’t. It thinks it’s learned N and R and then software crashed. What it learned was wrong and 1-6 isn’t learned at all. Now it won’t restart the GBPS reset.

When I click the reset button (key on and bike off) it pops up the message about being in N and then hit okay. Then once I hit okay it gives the error:

GBPS Initialization Reset Failed TIMEOUT

Checking the faults page it says not all the gears are learned correctly. When you click more details it says to run the GBPS Reset which as I stated fails or run the ECM Initialization. I have run that which runs cleanly but doesn’t help the GBPS Reset issue.

I’ve disconnected the battery for 15 minutes as a last ditch effort and that didn’t change things. I’ve also unplugged and replugged the sensor in hopes that would do something and it doesn’t.

I’m at a loss. Any insight anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Were you able to confirm that the transmission was actually in neutral before starting the reset procedure? I would raise the rear wheel, release the parking brake, then spin the rear wheel by hand and attempt the procedure again. You MAY have to do all that and then completely start over with the ECU initialization, and then go to the GBPS learning. Read the other posts here:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...resetting-GBPS
    Last edited by Jetfixer; 08-15-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Were you able to confirm that the transmission was actually in neutral before starting the reset procedure? I would raise the rear wheel, release the parking brake, then spin the rear wheel by hand and attempt the procedure again. You MAY have to do all that and then completely start over with the ECU initialization, and then go to the GBPS learning. Read the other posts here:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...resetting-GBPS
    I can confirm I mechanically placed it in N and verified the resistance change with the wheel off the ground and spinning it. Also, I’ve read up on that thread and almost posted this there but didn’t want to muddy that one or take it over.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Circling back to update this post in case someone ever comes along with something similar.

1) New GBPS Sensor wouldn't run the Reset but old one would. Seems like it's either a bad "new" sensor or the "wrong" new sensor.

2) When running the Reset with the old sensor in play - I couldn't get it to shift out of 1st. Came to realize this bike (not mine) has a big wheel conversion - and when they did that they moved the rear wheel sensor to the front right wheel with an adapter. TERRIBLE idea - cheating the nanny. Should the rear tire ever slide the Spyder won't know and can't correct for it. BUT, worse than that - the speed is now reading off the big front tire. Running the bike in gear up in the air the RPMs would go up but speed never did which is why it wasn't shifting. Grrrr.....

3) Apparently if you start the GBPS Reset Learn - you can then disconnect the bike from the computer and go for a ride and it will learn the rest of the gears. Interesting....
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black