Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    I got back from my ride a little bit ago, and am just now getting on the computer. It was a wonderful ride, and a pleasant lunch at a hole-in-the-wall pizza place in a town I'd never been too before.
    I got some advice from my friends about the best route to take home, which was better than letting the GPS direct me, since it helped me avoid a long construction zone.
    I’m trying to focus on this right now too. Last weekend I rode to my local little dinky airport and had breakfast at a most excellent food truck while watching parachuters drop out of the sky. Then went for my first canyon ride, including some nice twisties, and it was wicked fun. I love my RTL more every time I ride her, and the lack of ACP is f’ing annoying (I could really have used some good navigation) but it’s not what I got this bike for.

That said, I’m going to the dealer this weekend to pick up some parts and will ask everyone there whether they know anything about ACP.
    2024 Spyder RT Limited, Petrol Blue Metallic
    + Akrapovič exhaust, awww yeah

Spyder Garage

Been reading the posts on this topic every now and then.
    Our 2014 RTS does not have anything more than the old school Speedometer, Tachometer, Fuel Gage, and Water Temp. For navigation, it is a Garmin GPS.

In all sincerity, I truly felt bad for folks that bought Spyders a few years ago and expected the BRP app to work, and also other devices, plus apps to integrate and work.
    Sadly, many were disappointed and ultimately gave up. Those folks never truly got what they paid for.

Seems the marketing team at BRP pushes stuff to the consumer well before it is actually ready.
    Apple Car Play is mimicking the previous trend of the BRP app that was released in 2018.
    Again, truly bummed for folks that essentially got “ripped off” by the dealer and BRP.
    Possibly they will resolve the issues for 2025, but the past says no.
    Good luck though.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2024 at 09:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

So, my salesperson responded to my email.
    And - I'm not happy, but also, I am starting to think BRP/CAN-AM just likes to kick the can down the road without trying to actually fix anything.

In part the response said:

"You should receive an email from BRP and a letter in the mail when any kind of software update/recall that applies to your unit. At the point that the software is available, you will be able to go to any BRP certified dealership and have the update/recall performed to your unit free of charge!

I will also make my service department aware of the situation so they can be on the lookout for an update and see if they can call you as well!"

So Can-Am says check with the dealer, and the dealer says Can-Am will notify me when there's an update...

- visualizing a finger in Canada pointing at Tennessee, and a finger in Tennessee pointing at Canada -
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2024 at 10:00 PM.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

Your mention of a canyon ride and you being in Colorado brought back a childhood memory from the early 1970s.

We had an aunt that lived in Loveland, Colorado who we visited on an extended family driving vacation, and they convinced us to drive up to Estes Park, Colorado.
    I still remember the twisty road through the canyon, with the road paralleling a lovely stream.

Oh, and stopping at one point near a pool in the river, and feeding some very hungry trout, who would fight over the food we tossed onto the water.

I could enjoy riding that road on my Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 09:47 PM.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Your mention of a canyon ride and you being in Colorado brought back a childhood memory from the early 1970s.

We had an aunt that lived in Loveland, Colorado who we visited on an extended family driving vacation, and they convinced us to drive up to Estes Park, Colorado.
    I still remember the twisty road through the canyon, with the road paralleling a lovely stream.

Oh, and stopping at one point near a pool in the river, and feeding some very hungry trout, who would fight over the food we tossed onto the water.

I could enjoy riding that road on my Spyder.
    Memory unlocked! That sounds beautiful. You may have driven through the Big Thompson canyon, where the (you guessed it) Big Thompson River winds along the road. Geography nerd side note: that river begins as snowmelt in the Continental Divide, through Loveland, and becomes a tributary of the Mississippi River, where it flows all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. A ride from the headwaters to the gulf might be fun if one had unlimited time and $$ - just sayin'

Anyway. I am not far from Loveland; and can confirm that the trip to Estes Park is still stunning. I have only driven it in the car so far, but I’m planning a day trip up there next month; and I will do it on the Spyder if weather permits. The challenge will be trying not to target-fixate on the views. Would be great to have ACP for navigation by then!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 08:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikesister View Post
    ...and can confirm that the trip to Estes Park is still stunning.
    You might add this to your itinerary, should you have the time:

http://stanleysteamcarmuseum.com/

I am personally invested in hearing about your trip, although I think it needs a bit of an explanation.

My mother's maiden name was Estes.

If you asked her, she was told as a child that Estes Park was named after one of our ancestors. The family story went something along the lines of the Stanley Brothers, of Stanley Steamer fame, traveled to the mountains of Colorado on the advice of the doctor of one of the brothers. The brother had tuberculosis and it was recommended that the mountain air would be beneficial to him. The family story was that Joel Estes was a traveling companion of the Stanleys, and they named the area after Joel.

But history intrudes. Joel Estes arrived in the area now known as Estes park in the 1860s, and in 1866 sold the entire park, and moved back to St. Joseph, Missouri. Joel Estes died in 1875.

The Stanley brothers arrived in the Denver, Colorado area in 1903.

So while the park was named after Joel Estes, he didn't know the Stanley brothers.

racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Well yesterday my '24 RT had a senior moment, if you can call it that since it's so young.
    I unlocked my iPhone and plugged it in; turned on my headset; started my spyder; and was waiting for the screen to show connected to iPhone... Well, nothing; looked at my iPhone and it was not charging, altho it showed connected. Checked the screen and it was not connected to the iPhone. I forced it to connect, and it would not; but my iPhone showed it was connected. I did the normal things like unplugging the iPhone; plugging it back in; turning BT off and back on; and turned off the Spyder; nothing! Lucky I was just going home, since my battery only had 30%.
    As of today, this morning, everything worked perfectly; I had three notations on the screen, WiFI connected, iPhone connected, and head set connected.
    This is the second time where I could not connect BT; and the phone would not charge.
    I hope this update makes these connections more consistent.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2024 at 09:06 AM.
    2024 RT limited Petrol Blue
    2018 RT limited pearl White
    2017 RTS pearl White

Spyder Garage

A user posted this on the Apple forums about a recent call with BRP:

I’ve been calling BRP and today the lady told me she didn’t know when or IF it would be available this year. She said there’s too many bugs in the software

So as this is hearsay and people get different answers from BRP all the time, but this is not very encouraging.

I just put a deposit on a C6 Corvette Convertible for a toy. If ACP isn't out for the Spyder by the end of May I will seriously start thinking about selling it and cutting my losses. Not sure I need two open-air fun machines and all the Spyder does right now is make me regret buying it every time I see it in the garage. Yes, it runs fine, but this whole experience with BRP has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

At least the Corvette will have ACP because I am going to upgrade the head unit to have that feature. Something I cannot do on the Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2024 at 10:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Well, we don’t know for sure as that could be hearsay, but if it turns out to be true, I sure hope Can-Am will compensate everyone for the delay. Many will say most knew of this issue when purchased, which might be true, but to advertise it as a feature than not have it available for the entire year is unacceptable. It would really be nice if Can-Am would just come out with a truthful explanation for the delay and expected delivery or compensation as a result. Too much guessing as to what the issues are and expected fix dates. By not issuing a truthful statement, Can-Am is just causing more frustration and buyer remorse which will only hurt the brand in the future. It’s okay to make a mistake, but not ok to be up front and honest about it. Hopefully, Can-Am will issue some sort of update on this so we can all get on the same page and have a clear understanding of what is going on. Working in IT quality control myself, I know our company would never release a feature if it was not working and would certainly issue an update about it prior to the release of the product to set everyone’s expectations. Doing anything else would drive customers to other competitors. I do know dealerships are also extremely upset and frustrated with Can-Am’s lack of communication on this as I have talked to 8 of them about it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2024 at 10:05 PM.
    2024 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Those of you upset with BRP/Can Am for not delivering, imagine how the tech from Apple is reacting, trying to clean up a mess he did not make.

Quote Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
    A user posted this on the Apple forums about a recent call with BRP:

I’ve been calling BRP and today the lady told me she didn’t know when or IF it would be available this year. She said there’s too many bugs in the software

So as this is hearsay and people get different answers from BRP all the time, but this is not very encouraging.

I just put a deposit on a C6 Corvette Convertible for a toy. If ACP isn't out for the Spyder by the end of May I will seriously start thinking about selling it and cutting my losses. Not sure I need two open-air fun machines and all the Spyder does right now is make me regret buying it every time I see it in the garage. Yes, it runs fine, but this whole experience with BRP has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

At least the Corvette will have ACP because I am going to upgrade the head unit to have that feature. Something I cannot do on the Spyder.
    Enjoy your Corvette.

If time and money is a minimal concern, lemon law your Spyder back to the dealer. Those dealers that blow sunshine will be raining tears if these machines are forced back on them, or they need to pay back a couple thousand per Spyder.
    Then again, there is likely that disclaimer that specs can change.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2024 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Those of you upset with BRP/Can Am for not delivering, imagine how the tech from Apple is reacting, trying to clean up a mess he did not make.
    Yes the message got deleted from the Apple forum almost immediately. I get it, they are there to support Apple Products and CarPlay, not necessarily the lack of an OEM being utterly incompetent and being unable to provide ACP. That's not really their problem.

Spyder Garage

I just want the media app to work for my phone. Dealer couldntfigure it out either. Did everything i tried before going there. Stated def firmware issue. Their laptop was having issues so couldnt try anything. Back next Fri

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Apple crap is heavily proprietary and protective. Thay have been sued in the past and currently because they actively block non-apple hardware.

"For example, the U.S. alleges Apple made it more difficult for competing messaging apps and smartwatches to work smoothly on its phones. It also alleges that Apple's app store policies around streaming services for games have hurt competition."

https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-tak...0and%20digital

If it is not on a whitelist then it doesn't work. I think things are pointing that way at this point.

Yea BRP may have paid for the licensing but I think that their hardware never made the whitelist in order for it to work.

Another reason why they should have gone with Android Auto instead.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 05-23-2024 at 07:42 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    If it is not on a whitelist then it doesn't work. I think things are pointing that way at this point.

Yea BRP may have paid for the licensing but I think that their hardware never made the whitelist in order for it to work.

Another reason why they should have gone with Android Auto instead.
    The version that got released in April worked fine on mine while I had it. It's been demoed working for the last 9 months. There is no licensing charge for vendors to support ACP. ACP is basically a remote display for your phone, it can't be that complicated. Not sure if BRP or their OEM head unit vendor is responsible for this complete disaster or some combination thereof.

It only makes sense for them to first support ACP as iPhones are 60% of the US/Canadian market. And there's only really one flavor of phone to support this way.The hang tag said "Android Auto Coming Soon" or something like that. I wouldn't hold my breath given how well this ACP rollout has gone.

Spyder Garage

Vette.jpg
    I also added a corvette to the garage. A beautiful C7. I also have apple car play for my 2019 RTL. I installed the 7" screen Carpuride last month and it has worked flawlessly. I empathize with you guys that bought these bikes thinking you were going to get apple car play - and from reading these posts it doesn't sound like you will be getting it in the near future. But for $250 you can have it! I have been a long time TomTom and Garmin user - but to me google maps is the best! I don't post a lot so sorry if these pics don't come out correctly oriented.
    Carpuride.jpg
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nice vette, not my cup o' tea though.

Any vette that I have driven has driven like a tank with a rocket strapped to it and the person(s) that owns them always spins out in the rain and totals it.

Yea I'm looking for display with android auto when some money frees up.

But I need to buy a Quatrac for the rear as I have already burned through the kenda that the dealer threw on during my accident repair back in october when the swing arm assembly was replaced and I also just spent money on oil and HCM filters, so I need to tend to those items first.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Well... umm... :sigh:

At risk of being called an "Apple Fan Boy" I'm nope-ing out of the Apple vs Google vs Android vs everyone else discussion.

Oh, and here's a list of vehicles that support Apple CarPlay - "More than 800 models to choose from":

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

No motorcycles listed, but another site lists Honda, Harley-Davidson, and Indian as brands that support CarPlay on some, but not all, of their 2020 and newer models.

With that many companies supporting CarPlay I question the suggestion that Apple is too expensive for some brands to support.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2024 at 07:01 AM.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

I have read that Google Android Auto IS NOT available for any motorcycles and isn't gonna be. AA is just in Google maps now. Some m/c folks indicate using a tablet with mount, with WIFI and BT and phone. Software is AutoZen or HeadUnit reloaded. Not perfect by any means, but it may work. Issue 1) is mounting the tablet w/o blocking anything; 2) is sufficient IP rating for the tablet to ensure wet weather riding.
    Now if you have 5g LTE capability on the tablet, you can mount it, download helmet comms (Sena or whatever) you can skip the phone, download Google maps, and be done!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2024 at 07:03 AM.
    2024 RT Sea to Sky screen now working but codes will remain until BRP releases the ACP update.
    2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green (guess what? NO errors at all in 9 months of owning!) Such a sweet S2S :-)

Spyder Garage

Well...umm...:::sigh:::

At risk of being called an "Apple Fan Boy" I'm noping out of the Apple vs Google vs Android vs everyone else discussion.

Oh, and here's a list of vehicles that support Apple Carplay:

"More than 800 models to choose from."

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

No motorcycles listed, but another site lists Honda, Harley-Davidson, and Indian as brands that support Carplay on some, but not all, of their 2020 and newer models.

With that many companies supporting Carplay I question the suggestion that Apple is too expensive for some brands to support.
    I had apple carplay on my 2019 HD Ultra Limited with no isues and i also have it on my Goldwing which i purchased to replace my 2024 CanAm Spyder RT Limited
    -------------------------------
    2024 RT Limited, Petrol Metalic Sold, replaced with Goldwing
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    TricLED Front Fender Reflectors with Sequential LED Turn Signals & Running Lights
    Show Chrome LED Trunk Lights with Run, Brake & Sequential Turn Signals
    Mo-Door Garage Door Opener
    Fobo Electronic Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    Show Chrome Heavy-Duty Replacement Rear Trunk Lid Lift Support Strut / Shock
    Show Chrome Trunk Mounted Luggage Rack
    SpyderExtras Billet Aluminum Handlebar Riser Kit

Spyder Garage

Getting 5" diagonal Carpuride ACP unit for $189.00 with coupon. Way to go.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2024 at 07:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

When ACP first came out on Subarus (2019-ish) there were a lot of issues, including the icon being completely greyed out, no audio, difficulty connecting, issues with iOS updates, etc. So maybe it takes a while for vehicle manufacturers and Apple to get all the hardware and software working together and correctly.

That doesn’t make it OK for BRP to claim that it works when it doesn’t, especially if they jumped the gun by a whole model year, but at least we aren’t alone.

Spyder Garage

I am hopeful this will apply to all, though I have been quite open with them about the level of my irritation. I received this this morning before noon via email

Dear Mark,

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for purchasing a new Can-Am. We’re excited for you to begin your adventures with your new ride, and we appreciate your purchase.

After releasing the software update for Apple CarPlay, we experienced ongoing technical issues, resulting in you receiving your MY24 Can-Am Spyder without this originally planned feature.

Although your vehicle is still drivable without Apple CarPlay, we understand the desire to have this feature available now rather than later. While our teams continue to work quickly to make this feature available again, as a token of our appreciation for your patience, you can receive one of the following:

• A B.E.S.T coverage extension for one year (if applicable)

• A $500 Parts, Accessories and Apparel credit

Visit your local BRP-affiliated dealership by December 31, 2024, to redeem the extended coverage or the PA&A credit. When you redeem either compensation, you must bring your proof of purchase and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

We will notify you when Apple CarPlay is available and provide more information on how to restore this feature to your vehicle from the comfort of your home or at your local dealership.

Thank you again for your purchase and your continued patience. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-888-272-9222.

Sincerely,
    Claudette
    BRP Customer Services Department

Spyder Garage

Interesting. I was supposed to get 1 year extra BEST coverage for pre-ordering, and I bought 2 years at the dealer for what I think should be a total of 5. Not sure if I could stack this extra year on or not? I haven't heard anything from them about this and I have been contacting them on a regular basis asking where ACP is.

Based on the tone of the email, ACP is not likely to be released anytime soon.

Spyder Garage

My dealer is looking into this for me too. Not sure but may be only BRP stuff, but they are looking to see if other non BRP accessories will be covered..my wife wants a seat cover on her 2023 S2S.. i dont need anything on my 2024 tho ( except the ACP and the BR sway bar and oh lololol )...
    2024 RT Sea to Sky screen now working but codes will remain until BRP releases the ACP update.
    2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green (guess what? NO errors at all in 9 months of owning!) Such a sweet S2S :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markari View Post
    I am hopeful this will apply to all, though I have been quite open with them about the level of my irritation. I received this this morning before noon via email

Dear Mark,

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for purchasing a new Can-Am. We’re excited for you to begin your adventures with your new ride, and we appreciate your purchase.

After releasing the software update for Apple CarPlay, we experienced ongoing technical issues, resulting in you receiving your MY24 Can-Am Spyder without this originally planned feature.

Although your vehicle is still drivable without Apple CarPlay, we understand the desire to have this feature available now rather than later. While our teams continue to work quickly to make this feature available again, as a token of our appreciation for your patience, you can receive one of the following:

• A B.E.S.T coverage extension for one year (if applicable)

• A $500 Parts, Accessories and Apparel credit

Visit your local BRP-affiliated dealership by December 31, 2024, to redeem the extended coverage or the PA&A credit. When you redeem either compensation, you must bring your proof of purchase and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

We will notify you when Apple CarPlay is available and provide more information on how to restore this feature to your vehicle from the comfort of your home or at your local dealership.

Thank you again for your purchase and your continued patience. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-888-272-9222.

Sincerely,
    Claudette
    BRP Customer Services Department
    I hate being skeptical, but I think I'll wait until ACP is installed before I accept either option. And if anything needs to be signed for either of these, I would be very thorough about reading the fine print. If Dec.31 gets here and it's still not installed it would be a shame if you signed away your rights to proceed any further legally. Hopefully, they are just trying to do the right thing.