Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

At this point, until more factual evidence is found and presented, the saga reminds me of “The Wizard of OZ”.
    So true but I was presenting possible failure modes that might help during discussions with the dealer. I too am baffled why/how the middle cylinder failure occurred so rapidly. And is the immediately previous oil change a coincidence or a cause?

Unfortunately the oil has already been changed since purchase which is why I recommended an oil pressure check rather than an oil sample analysis.

At this point this is probably the best course of action
    This weekend, I'm going to put it back together enough to get it inspected and registered, change the oil, and do some longer rides to verify it is using oil like he says it is.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Heard back from the dealer this morning.

They diagnosed the problem as a failed clutch diaphragm. They stated the diaphragm was allowing oil into the vacuum lines and so it was getting into the combustion chamber. The parts and labor will be around $750. I can live with that. Better than a rebuild or even a used engine!

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread. I will let you know in a couple weeks once I get it back and put some miles on it. I think before I put the plastics back on, I will change the plugs. Would you go back with the stock plug or is there a newer plug that is better?

Thanks!
    AJ
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2024 at 04:38 PM.
    2014 RT Limited SE6 , Matte Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wcntech View Post
    Heard back from the dealer this morning.

They diagnosed the problem as a failed clutch diaphragm. They stated the diaphragm was allowing oil into the vacuum lines and so it was getting into the combustion chamber. The parts and labor will be around $750. I can live with that. Better than a rebuild or even a used engine!

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread. I will let you know in a couple weeks once I get it back and put some miles on it. I think before I put the plastics back on, I will change the plugs. Would you go back with the stock plug or is there a newer plug that is better?

Thanks!
    AJ
    Well, your middle plug can be cleaned .... 18,300 mi. on plugs for the 1330 isn't much .... I have the same engine with over 80,000 mi. on the plugs and there is no indication that they need to be changed (but I will soon!) .... However, peace of mind may be worth it ..... Good Luck, hopefully the Tech has is it right? ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2024 at 04:39 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

wcntech -- you want Baja Ron's spark plug kit. Not only the correct spark plugs for the 1330cc engine but also includes the thermal paste for the threads and the silicone lubricant for the seals.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Well, it's all back together and took it on about a 70-mile run. It's running great! I ordered the spark plug kit for BajaRon and put them in while it was all apart. I will post a picture of the clutch diaphragm later. Here she is with the 2014 Limited. Meet Smoke and Shade. Together known as Double Trouble.

PXL_20240517_000347366.jpg PXL_20240517_000357729.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 08:42 PM.
    2014 RT Limited SE6 , Matte Silver