Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Ball-mount QuadLock turning when removing phone - can it be done One handed?

I just switched my ram-ball mount x-grip for a quad lock because I don't like the slop in the x-grip, and I cannot install or remove the phone one handed. And I also like the idea of the vibration dampener in the quad lock.

I've cranked the ball mount down pretty darned hard, yet the whole quad lock wants to turn when I try to twist the phone to remove it. Also, it seems quite the trick to get the phone aligned with the quad's slots without looking at the back of the phone.

What are your experiences? Does it get easier as the mount "loosens"? Can you attach/detach your phone one hand? Can you get the ball grip tight enough to not turn with the phone?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2024 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    I just switched my ram-ball mount x-grip for a quad lock because I don't like the slop in the x-grip, and I cannot install or remove the phone one handed. And I also like the idea of the vibration dampener in the quad lock.

I've cranked the ball mount down pretty darned hard, yet the whole quad lock wants to turn when I try to twist the phone to remove it. Also, it seems quite the trick to get the phone aligned with the quad's slots without looking at the back of the phone.

What are your experiences? Does it get easier as the mount "loosens"? Can you attach/detach your phone one hand? Can you get the ball grip tight enough to not turn with the phone?
    Try this next time:

Tackform2.jpg

All Aluminum, machined, and using stainless steel springs for gripping.
    Only need one hand...

Call for yours today 209-608-2141 or 209-887-3283

Motorcycledave LOGO #1.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2024 at 07:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Try this next time:

Tackform2.jpg

All Aluminum, machined, and using stainless steel springs for gripping.
    Only need one hand...

Call for yours today 209-608-2141 or 209-887-3283

Motorcycledave LOGO #1.jpg
    Dave, What RAM arm is that?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, I have the X-Mount and if I squeeze it together (i.e., wide open I guess) once before putting the phone in, it is locked and doesn't have any slop at all. I don't know if it's a design feature or what.
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    For what it's worth, I have the X-Mount and if I squeeze it together (i.e., wide open I guess) once before putting the phone in, it is locked and doesn't have any slop at all. I don't know if it's a design feature or what.
    Mine gets slop if it expands enough to hold the iPhone Pro Max. By slop, I mean I can turn it 10-15 degrees either direction. It doesn't do it when "collapsed".

Spyder Garage

Update: After spending a day or two on the bike this weekend, the QuadLock is working great, even one handed. Just took some learning and doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    I took a closer look... it's the way the X works.... if it's fully open or fully closed, it's locked against the edge of the slot the arms expand in. If it's anywhere in between, the phone can rotate. Odd design, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2024 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts... no need to double up!

Spyder Garage

More reason phone stays in pocket. Bluetooth to headset for comm & tunes. Oem Garmin GPS on bars for visual (can have audio Bluetooth or stereo, visual assist good enough) Have had run multiple GPS for incorrect addresses/coordinates in which case phone <Google Earth >was audio & Garmin the visual keeping on pavement. Odd but worked

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights