Spyder Garage

Default I may have to forfeit my "motorcyclist" membership card!

I really, really enjoy riding my Spyder RT. But I must admit that deep down I know it is not a "real" motorcycle. And in some ways that is a very good thing. The stability and comfort of my Spyder far exceeds what I used to feel on the biggest and best motorcycle that I had ever owned, a Honda Goldwing. The lack of anxiety that my wife feels when a passenger on the Spyder is alone enough to make me glad that I went from the Goldwing to the CanAm Spyder RT. But a part of me felt that I needed to still have a two wheeler, i.e., a "real" motorcycle that requires me to lean through curves, and know how to use both hands and both feet simultaneously to pull the clutch in, downshift the gear, and apply both rear and then front brake to come to a safe and rapid stop.

So two years into my Spyder ownership I added a Royal Enfield Hunter 350 to my garage. This little single cylinder traditional motorcycle is a hoot to ride, and at only 400 pounds is not too much for my almost 81 year old body to handle. I've only had this bike a short time, and yesterday I had the chance to take a somewhat "longish" ride, i.e., about 100 miles on one of my favorite routes. I had a good ride, and did get a kick out of only using about one and a quarter gallons of fuel for the entire ride. But at the end of the ride I had to say to myself that the enjoyment level of taking that exact ride on my Spyder was far higher. And I had been far less tired when the ride was over when riding the Spyder.

So while I don't plan on getting rid of this new Royal Enfield anytime soon, I feel that maybe it is time for me to admit to myself that I just like the Spyder so much better than I do a regular two wheel motorcycle. So maybe that means that I need to turn in my "motorcyclist" card and just be happy on 3 wheels.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got my first spyder after the wife made such a scene over me having an accident on the 2 wheeler. So the next week I ordered a spyder. Eventually I went back and added another 2 wheeler. She hasn't protested too much, but I know in my heart that there are certain situations that I have come across that wouldn't be an issue on my spyder, but trouble on my 2 wheeler. With the drivers around here getting worse, I too lean more on riding my 3 wheeler, for comfort, safety, and just general piece of mind.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have to go along with y'all. I have both 2 & 3 wheelers. Wife does NOT like it when I am out on 2 wheels and says she doesn't worry much when I riding the spyder. I have the 2 wheeler just to satisfy the itch once in a while. Just enjoy yourselves while you can cus it will come to an end some day. Let's just hope not soon.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I got my first spyder after the wife made such a scene over me having an accident on the 2 wheeler. So the next week I ordered a spyder. Eventually I went back and added another 2 wheeler. She hasn't protested too much, but I know in my heart that there are certain situations that I have come across that wouldn't be an issue on my spyder, but trouble on my 2 wheeler. With the drivers around here getting worse, I too lean more on riding my 3 wheeler, for comfort, safety, and just general piece of mind.
    I am in the same boat as you. I was hit by a car on the Kawasaki got it repaired then I tipped it over in the driveway while wife was watching and that was the end of that.

Therefore I bought my Spyder and really enjoy it more than 2 wheels, easier to ride wife on Spyder as well.I had always liked the Spyders and thought they were nice but expensive.I finally bought a 2024 Spyder RT Limited and really enjoy it.

Spyder Garage

I have a Suzuki 400 Burgman for my two wheeled entertainment. I recently sold my Moto Guzzi and bought the Burgman and I like it a lot. So much that I have taken a few multi day trips on it. We always had large sport touring machines such as BMW's and a Triumph Trophy SE and when my confidence started wavering we bought our Spyder RT. It is a great touring machine and we have been all over the country on it, but that two wheeled itch is still there for me. The Burgman satisfies that itch and works very well as a solo touring bike. Looks like many of us Spyder owners are in the same frame of mind and keep a two wheeled motorcycle on hand just to scratch that itch.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I also keep the poor, old, slow V-Max near at hand when I need the need for tilting horizons and much better acceleration than the Spyder.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I really, really enjoy riding my Spyder RT. But I must admit that deep down I know it is not a "real" motorcycle. And in some ways that is a very good thing. The stability and comfort of my Spyder far exceeds what I used to feel on the biggest and best motorcycle that I had ever owned, a Honda Goldwing. The lack of anxiety that my wife feels when a passenger on the Spyder is alone enough to make me glad that I went from the Goldwing to the CanAm Spyder RT. But a part of me felt that I needed to still have a two wheeler, i.e., a "real" motorcycle that requires me to lean through curves, and know how to use both hands and both feet simultaneously to pull the clutch in, downshift the gear, and apply both rear and then front brake to come to a safe and rapid stop.

So two years into my Spyder ownership I added a Royal Enfield Hunter 350 to my garage. This little single cylinder traditional motorcycle is a hoot to ride, and at only 400 pounds is not too much for my almost 81 year old body to handle. I've only had this bike a short time, and yesterday I had the chance to take a somewhat "longish" ride, i.e., about 100 miles on one of my favorite routes. I had a good ride, and did get a kick out of only using about one and a quarter gallons of fuel for the entire ride. But at the end of the ride I had to say to myself that the enjoyment level of taking that exact ride on my Spyder was far higher. And I had been far less tired when the ride was over when riding the Spyder.

So while I don't plan on getting rid of this new Royal Enfield anytime soon, I feel that maybe it is time for me to admit to myself that I just like the Spyder so much better than I do a regular two wheel motorcycle. So maybe that means that I need to turn in my "motorcyclist" card and just be happy on 3 wheels.
    Rode my friends Royal Enfield 350 in Kathmandu, Nepal. All 18 hp of it! A modern 1950's motorcycle. 350cc is a BIG motorcycle in Nepal where most are in the 150-185cc range. His was carbureted because fuel injectors choke on the nasty fuel they run there.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I may add a 2 wheeler back to the stable at some point..... but for now, and forseeable future, I am going to enjoy riding my Spyder, and maybe another one after this one!

I earned my "motorcyclist" card after 40-ish years on 2 wheelers. I'm not giving that up!
    (for the record, my wife says the Spyder is the most comfortable bike we've toured on)
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

At 79 and 72 respectively, I and "she who must be obeyed" have - or are in the process - of transitioning from 3 to 3 wheels. We sold m Kawasaki 650 Versys and her CTX700 Honda several years ago and replaced them with my 2015 RT-S and her 2021 Sea to Sky. We now ride more than we have in years and enjoy it much more. We still have two small motorcycles - a BMW G310R and a Suzuki TU250X - we keep in Maine for back road rambles however they will probably be offered for sale this summer. Might replace them with a Ryker Rally - for logging roads - but it's just an idea at present. Time will tell.

rt-
    s and her
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I also felt the need to lean after getting the Spyder so I bought a used Aprilia Mana 850 as a stablemate. I run the Spyder most of the year (12 month rider) but for short rides on HOT days, I'm on the Mana. However, riding the Mana is less taxing on me than push-pulling the Spyder thru the twisties with me doing the leaning. Everything in life is a trade-off.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong with happy & having both 38F2FA08-CE37-40A1-A0B5-82767347FD3C.jpg alternate between so keep up with skills for both. Have nice enough stable get some more ENJOY THE RYDE

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Also been there and done that. About three years ago, I had to give up my beloved Vulcan 900. At 730# it was just to heavy for me. A couple times laying it over because my leg gave out and I could not hold it up convinced me it was time to get off two wheels. Sadly, last year I felt we could no longer do three wheels either. Some medical issues with Linda and myself caused us to divest of our F3L's.

I still get Rider magazine and this month up popped the new Rebel 1100 with semi auto transmission. Very tempting, but at 520# I think I am going to stay away from the Honda dealership altogether. I am afraid I would see a 250 and get sucked into that. Riding in the wind on two wheels are some of my best cherished memories. To those that are still doing it, take a ride for me sometime.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

First I have to disagree with the comment about the Spyder not being a motorcycle. It is not a 2 wheel motorcycle. It does everything a 2 wheel motorcycle does, except lean and fall over if you forget to put the side stand down. It has a semi-automatic transmission. So did Honda as far back as the late 70's. I rode 2-wheel motorcycles from 1964 to 2011. I now ride a 3 wheel motorcycle and can get the same thrills from it as I got from my 2 Wheel motorcycle. Oh except broadsiding. I could slide my Goldwing trike but I can't slide the Spyder.
    Second I am not giving up my motorcyclist card. I still ride a motorcycle, a 3 wheel one but it is one.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I am like many others in that there comes a time where we have to realize the fact that we are older than what our memories try to make us believe. After riding all over North America- see map, mostly on Harley bikes(7), now I still have the feeling of riding with three wheels down instead of two. Still riding around this wonderful country with a older body but same feeling inside.

Spyder Garage

I just sold my last two wheeler about a month ago, a 2022 KTM 390 Duke. It was a hoot to ride, but just came to realize that I don't ride one enough, let alone two.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

It's been a few decades since I was last on a 2-wheel motorcycle, so I do have vague memories of leaning in turns.

But I do have to say that when driving my Spyder I lean into the sharp turns on the narrow, twisty, 2-lane road that runs up to the neighborhood where my home is.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

I have never given up 2 wheels. I also have never given up being single. All of these stories about 'doing what the wife says' tells me both are the right 'never' decisions.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I have never given up 2 wheels. I also have never given up being single. All of these stories about 'doing what the wife says' tells me both are the right 'never' decisions.
    C63CB264-9379-4561-91D9-5385A257A6E7.jpg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

About 2 weeks ago, the wife and I went to get our bikes inspected and hers an oil change. While at the dealership, I sat on both a HD and I think it was a Kawasaki. Both were big touring bikes. I can honestly say, without conviction, that my spyder purchase was the right choice. Those 2 bikes had to weigh at least 900+ pounds. Plus, they sat a little higher so it was very uncomfortable trying to keep them upright. A lot of weight there. Maybe if they were a bit lower and I had a flat footed stance I could have handled them, but knowing I don't have to worry about that with the spyder, gives me solice in the fact that I made a good decision and didn't let my ego overrule my common sense.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    First I have to disagree with the comment about the Spyder not being a motorcycle. It is not a 2 wheel motorcycle. It does everything a 2 wheel motorcycle does, except lean and fall over if you forget to put the side stand down. It has a semi-automatic transmission. So did Honda as far back as the late 70's. I rode 2-wheel motorcycles from 1964 to 2011. I now ride a 3 wheel motorcycle and can get the same thrills from it as I got from my 2 Wheel motorcycle. Oh except broadsiding. I could slide my Goldwing trike but I can't slide the Spyder.
    Second I am not giving up my motorcyclist card. I still ride a motorcycle, a 3 wheel one but it is one.
    Agree with Paul. A Spyder has a MOTOR; It is a CYCLE; It has wheels and we sit astride the engine, riding ON, not IN it. It is not a BIKE, but it is a TRIKE motorcycle (In my opinion). Ride it with pride!
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. Nearly 85 and I get very tired riding my Spyder. Itching to buy a Royal Enfield but my legs are a bit too short (29") to comfortably support it.
    Broke my wrist in Jan and cannot get full movement back and cannot operate throttle on either my Spyder or MP3. I can drive for hours in my Mazda CX5 and enjoy doing so.
    3 and 2 wheel riding days are finally over and sold Spyder today after 12 yrs of ownership. Sort of relieved. MP3 will go when a buyer found.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc