Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP shutting down in ILL

Seen it on the preview for the news an had to look it up.. Here is the link.. Looks like it has some good an bad in it...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle4546461/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I found the last sentence to be interesting! "It will also stop producing its own accessories and clothes and contract out the distribution of spare parts."
    A good parts distribution company can't hurt any....except the cost...
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

The Sport Boat Part of BRP is indeed suffering with the recession!!!
    These are 16-22 Foot boats people can,t afford to use a dozen times a year?
    Jet ski sales are also down from the Mid Nineties when they were reasonable $$ to own.
    Spyders are really reasonable to own considering the amount of hours and miles you can use them during the year!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I own a BRP boat so this affects me directly. I still have three years left on my BEST warranty, I wonder if BRP will still honor it?

This doesn't speak well for BRP's health as a corporation. Let's hope this doesn't happen to their Spyder division in a few years. The price of gas is killing the motorsports industry.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    I own a BRP boat so this affects me directly. I still have three years left on my BEST warranty, I wonder if BRP will still honor it?

This doesn't speak well for BRP's health as a corporation. Let's hope this doesn't happen to their Spyder division in a few years. The price of gas is killing the motorsports industry.
    They'll honor it. No different from any of the other vehicle manufacturers. This is a healthy move for them... When you have a failing business unit, you shut it down, sell it off, etc. Would you rather they pour the profits from the Spyder into the boats to keep that division alive?

Lets hope this makes for a stronger BRP.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    They'll honor it. No different from any of the other vehicle manufacturers. This is a healthy move for them... When you have a failing business unit, you shut it down, sell it off, etc. Would you rather they pour the profits from the Spyder into the boats to keep that division alive?

WackyDan surprised you did not use :-

Would you rather they pour the profits from the Spyder into the boats to keep that division afloat?

Sorry WackyDan just had to say it, - Must be my sense of humor

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 09-15-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have to agree. I would rather see BRP drop a division of the company that is not making profits and focus on the products that will keep them in business. I have the Spyder. I also own and making payments on three relatively new Skidoo snowmobiles. One is mine, the other two are my kids sleds. I used to own an Outlander ATV, but because of the lack of places I had to ride it, I decided to trade that in for a Honda motorcycle that I used to own before I purchased the Spyder. Overall, I've had good luck with all my BRP products that I own to date. With the bad economy though, you never know how it will affect motor sports company's like BRP. They just have to do what it takes to stay in business.

Spyder Garage

Bain is behind this. That what they do. Company will be out source
    what going on with the worker pension.. How much money did Bain take out of the company
    i am sure they made a profit out of this move.
    Xm Radio, BRP CB, Top block off plate, Lazard LED, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Default Fund the profitable products

I agree...Considering Spyder sales grew 45% or so last year, and boat sales fell, put you RnD money into the growth side of the business. This is probably the reason for new models, the enhanced customer service we are seeing in the way of pro-active phone calls to customers etc. In the end, I think it will benefit the growing Spyder community

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a shame that the watercraft are getting tossed overboard!
    (Did I just say that?? )
    No Company can afford to keep the underperforming divisions within it forever...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I found the last sentence to be interesting! "It will also stop producing its own accessories and clothes and contract out the distribution of spare parts."

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

"the plant will continue with a skeleton crew for a few months to do repair work and produce components and spare parts."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...#ixzz26YLwvQoy

"BRP says it will continue to provide parts and honor warranties for its customers."

Read more: http://www.boats.com/blog/2012/09/br...#ixzz26YNfTmhu
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 09-15-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne View Post
    Bain is behind this. That what they do. Company will be out source
    what going on with the worker pension.. How much money did Bain take out of the company
    i am sure they made a profit out of this move.
    If you were a widget seller and couldn't sell enough widgets to feed, cloth and keep a roof over your family's head. Which of the three would you cut back on first. Food, shelter, or clothing?

It's called a business decision and regardless of what you want to think. It's never an easy decision to displace people. But, sometimes it is unavoidable.

Bain obviously stepped in when others would not. What if they had not. Where would the company have been then?

Spyder Garage

I agree with that statement

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    If you were a widget seller and couldn't sell enough widgets to feed, cloth and keep a roof over your family's head. Which of the three would you cut back on first. Food, shelter, or clothing?

It's called a business decision and regardless of what you want to think. It's never an easy decision to displace people. But, sometimes it is unavoidable.

Bain obviously stepped in when others would not. What if they had not. Where would the company have been then?

Stop making sense will ya.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you disregard all of the advertising that you see; there's not a company on the Planet that's in business for any reason other than one: TO MAKE MONEY!!
    It stinks if you're a fan of Sea Doos; but it'd be way worse if the whole Company went down the drain...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a prudent move to me. They say that is 3% of their total business.

I do not like the fact that they are going to Mexico for production.

Perhaps a different manufacturer of clothing will bring the prices down. I have two "genuine" Can AM jackets---but the $100.00 premium plus on each jacket has caused me to not purchase more.

Jury is out on the parts distribution--but--can it get worse?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bain obviously stepped in when others would not. What if they had not? Where would the company have been then?
    I can answer that. I work for a company that produces semiconductors and is in direct competition with China. Profits were dwindling and the future looked bleak. There's no question that if Bain was called in to resolve the problem as many as 10,000 US jobs could have been lost and/or outsourced overseas, devastating many communities, severely impacting several States, putting thousands on unemployment and welfare, and adding to US unemployment.

Rather than resorting to Bain's tactics we were given a chance to turn things around. We took bold, innovative steps to become increasingly competitive. We used our skills to develop new methods to reduce costs and increase efficiencies while producing high quality products that outperformed the competition and yet could be sold at competitive prices. Rather than being dumped or outsourced we were given a chance to turn things around and we used American ingenuity to find a solution. It wasn't easy but we were up to the challenge. Business is now booming and we're still gainfully employed with a bright future. We're successfully competing in a global economy. That's what US workers can do if only given the chance.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

I can answer that. I work for a company that produces semiconductors and is in direct competition with China. Profits were dwindling and the future looked bleak. There's no question that if Bain was called in to resolve the problem as many as 10,000 US jobs could have been lost and/or outsourced overseas, devastating many communities, severely impacting several States, putting thousands on unemployment and welfare, and adding to US unemployment.

Rather than resorting to Bain's tactics we were given a chance to turn things around. We took bold, innovative steps to become increasingly competitive. We used our skills to develop new methods to reduce costs and increase efficiencies while producing high quality products that outperformed the competition and yet could be sold at competitive prices. Rather than being dumped or outsourced we were given a chance to turn things around and we used American ingenuity to find a solution. It wasn't easy but we were up to the challenge. Business is now booming and we're still gainfully employed with a bright future. We're successfully competing in a global economy. That's what US workers can do if only given the chance.
    Respectfully. What I hear is that not everyone in your company was pulling the same way on the rope to begin with. It happens in all companys.

As far as Bain and BRP. BRP, after having exhausted all efforts to sell off a portion of their company (which would have saved 350 jobs) decided to close it when their attempt to sell failed. They looked three years out on the horizon and only saw it being a drag on their overall business plan. The choice they had was whether or not they would chance compromising 6000 employees to maintain what was 3% of their revenue stream and the employee of 350 folks. Never easy. Just business.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 09-16-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Not to be cynical but......why were you not doing that to start with??? That way you would not have to bash Bain Capital!!!! I am sorry but i am tired of people bashing others when as you have shown, with a little bit of hard work we all can restore America to her full potential.

Cruzer Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

In 2003, Bombardier Inc. sold its Recreational Products Division to a group of investors: Bain Capital (50%), Bombardier Family (35%) and Caisse de Depot & Placements du Quebec (15%).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombard...ional_Products

Spyder Garage

I quote from the "GodFather"
    "Tom, tell Michael I always liked him, it was only business"
    KYSPYDER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Respectfully. What I hear is that not everyone in your company was pulling the same way on the rope to begin with. It happens in all companys.

As far as Bain and BRP. BRP, after having exhausted all efforts to sell off a portion of their company (which would have saved 350 jobs) decided to close it when their attempt to sell failed. They looked three years out on the horizon and only saw it being a drag on their overall business plan. The choice they had was whether or not they would chance compromising 6000 employees to maintain what was 3% of their revenue stream and the employee of 350 folks. Never easy. Just business.
    Respectfully, what you should have heard is that it's extremely difficult for an American company that pays decent wages and has good benefits to compete globally with countries that do not.

As far as BRP goes, the Sport Boat division was pulling their weight and the division was in fact profitable. A lot of good people worked very hard to recover sales and profits from the 2008 recession. They were successful. Sales in 2012 were very good to excellent. Despite that BRP, with help from Bain, decided to pull the plug on sport boats and move production of watercraft to Mexico. You can defend that decision all you want but it doesn't sit well with me. With the callous "just business" mentality US workers will continue to suffer greatly. Businesses should show a little backbone and not be so quick to take the easy path of layoffs and outsourcing. Give US workers a chance and they'll prove they can compete. If companies like BRP that rely heavily on US sales continue to take the easy path and lay off US workers, who will be left to buy their products? For the long term it's just bad business.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Not to be cynical but......why were you not doing that to start with??? That way you would not have to bash Bain Capital!!!! I am sorry but i am tired of people bashing others when as you have shown, with a little bit of hard work we all can restore America to her full potential.
    I have no agenda to bash Bain Capital. I'll let them stand on their own reputation.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

For the long term it's just bad business.
    Many of us said that nearly fifty years ago when special interest groups, lobbyists, and law makers started changing the way business and manufacturing in this country was done, or, done away with. Sadly, "the long term began back then". Where we find ourselves now is on the loosing end of their vision.