Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Two wheels or three wheels?

Does anyone here ride or still ride motorcycles since they purchased the spyder? Before the spyder I had a Honda ST1300, which was a very nice motorcycle. I did however find it to be a little heavy and intimidating especially in heavy traffic. I've been in a motorcycle accident, so my confidence at the time on two wheels wasn't the best. I've been looking at some of the new Honda motorcycles. I would be interested in one of the two from the links that I posted below if I was to buy a bike again. I like these two for the weight, price and the DCT option, Honda's dual clutch transmission which is similar to the SE5 on the spyder. The difference though, you can ride in full on automatic mode. This for me would be a nice feature on a motorcycle. Just ride it and not have to worry about mis-shifting or stalling in traffic. I've done that a few times on my ST1300. I dropped it once in a leaning turn on a hill when this car in front of me decided to stop and I couldn't down shift quick enough. The bike stalled and locked up. I couldn't react quick enough so down she went. So at my age of 57 since yesterday, which was my birthday, I like the idea of a less powerful and lighter motorcycle should I own one again. For now though, I'm just happy enjoying the spyder. http://powersports.honda.com/2013/nc700x.aspx, http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ctx700n.aspx.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Done with 2 wheels

Sticking with 3.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The NC has a high seat height, the CTX would be a lot lower seat. Yes 32.7 versus 28.3, 4.4 inches is a lot!
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 06-06-2013 at 04:37 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Happy Belated Birthday !!

I'm sticking with three, I dropped one under the same circumstances as you did and they stink trying to pick up
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that Honda has a new 500 twin...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have said in other post. After riding for 30 years and 3 bike acc- and the first one I had to learn how to walk again. I had problems holding my Gold Wing up and the wife would not ride with me any more. Now I am only 49 and still going to the doc for back problems do to the acc-.

But I will tell you the more I ride my RT the better I walk and the back pain is less. The way you have to move around on the spyder is the best for my body. The wife loves to ride again and life is good.

As for going back to 2 wheels I still work on some bikes but do not like road testing them any more. My freind has drop his bike 2 times trying to keep up with my RT now he is looking at a spyder too.

Ride what you like and injoy life it is sort.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I live near you. I finally decided to stop riding on two wheels after a truck intentionally or unintentionally ran me off Westford-Milton Road at 50mph at night. I needed all my skills to keep the bike upright on the soft grassy and rocky shoulder and barely managed to escape with my life. Thank goodness I was riding a dual sport bike that day, if I had been on anything else with two wheels I would have been a goner for sure. After that event I came to the conclusion that it was risky enough riding on two wheels alone, but when you factor in other driver's actions which you have no control over, the risk was simply too high anymore for me.

After selling my motorcycles I found I missed open air riding too much. I reevaluated the situation and felt that three wheels so greatly reduces the risk of riding that it once again made sense. The Spyder was such an amazing leap forward in three wheeled vehicles that I was immediately hooked. In the years I have owned it my evaluation of the risks involved has proven eerily correct. One two separate occasions I have safely avoided accidents perpetrated by other drivers (both teenagers on cellphones) that I am certain would have resulted in a serious accident had I been on a motorcycle. Both situations required severe avoidance maneuvers that would have been impossible (at least for me) to execute on two wheels. I am amazed at the stability and accident avoidance capabilities of the Spyder and credit it for keeping me alive and safe.

I've always loved motorcycles and the technology and evaluating the new models. However I have reached the age where my reason and slowly aging physical capabilities assure me that only the Spyder is a reasonable risk if I want to keep riding. Without the constant worry that even the slightest mistake, road hazard, or weather condition could topple a two wheeler, I can thoroughly enjoy riding my Spyder.

Of course everyone needs to evaluate the risks for themselves and decide what they are comfortable riding. Whatever you decide, ride safe and enjoy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    Of course everyone needs to evaluate the risks for themselves and decide what they are comfortable riding. Whatever you decide, ride safe and enjoy.
    Very well put!

I'm pretty much limited to Trypods... but I still like to "peek over the fence" once in a while!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I still ride two from time to time, but I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. My BMW and my Spyder sit side by side in the garage, but the Spyder seems to always get the nod. The vintage bikes are lighter, and more fun for me these days. I hate to get out of the habit of riding two, but this darned Spyder has me soooo spoiled!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are there any other small "clutchless" bikes out there that come with a heel/toe shifter?
    (Bad left ankle; I literally can't lift my toes enough to cause an upshift anymore!)

Spyder Garage

Default peeking over the fence

Hey Bob: keep in mind that peeking over the fence gives the impression of greener grass, but, it still has to be cut.......Have a good one

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The funny thing is; I just had somebody else also use that same phrase to me!
    Great minds must think alike!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Three versus Riding at All

In 1996 I gave up two wheels all to-gather as i was in the processs of losing mobility and function in my left hand plus I had been transferred from Jacksonville to St Augustine. Which was a we won't move you this time assignment. Faced with a 45 minute commute in the AM and 1:45 to 2:30 hour PM commute every day. We decided two wheels would not cut the mustard and switched a Silverado which was bigger then most of the sample cars on the interstate (I-295 and I-95).

Retirement came along in 2001 and we relocated back to Ormond Beach and all its motorcycle noises. Then BRP launched a big advertising campaign which got me wife's attention big time. We went to our old dealer friend, Daytona Fun Machines, got the spiel, took the demo ride and wrote the big check.

While I can''t go back to two wheels I love my three wheels to death.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post

Retirement came along in 2001 and we relocated back to Ormond Beach and all its motorcycle noises. Then BRP launched a big advertising campaign which got me wife's attention big time. We went to our old dealer friend, Daytona Fun Machines, got the spiel, took the demo ride and wrote the big check.
    So between marrying you, and forcing the Spyder upon you; she's been doing a pretty good job!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I still ride two wheelers, Even after i had a Spyder, And now a Tri-Glide, As a matter of fact i just traded in my Kaw 6n a few days ago for a 2013 Sportster 1200, But that said at 68 i only ride the bike on local roads' and when i feel up to snuff, Like when I'm not tired or the weather is not iffy, And i don't mind [remembering to] put my feet down.....

Spyder Garage

Since I'm out of work for a while from back surgery, I get bored and spend too much time at my dealer. I need to stop sitting on those bikes that I like which give me temptation to buy. It's a good thing that I can't afford anything new at this time. I did get to demo ride a new 2013 RT Limited though, and really liked it. The dealer is getting an ST Limited built for a demo as well. I hope to get a chance to ride that for comparison. I agree with what most of you have said. The safety of a spyder as apposed to riding on two wheels does make sense. I'm glad to hear some of the comments from this post, which was a reason for me posting this thread in the first place. Sometimes opinions or experiences from different people can help in making better judgments. I'm still preserved at 57 and the spyder is pushing 57,000 miles. There is no need for me to change anything for now. I'm still able to have fun and that is what matters at this time.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Two wheels or three wheels?

While I love my Spyder (and won't be giving it up), I do miss the occasional 2 wheel jaunt. Like you, I am considering a light weight bike, probably a < 1K displacement cruiser. That CTX looks pretty sexy, but like someone else mentioned the other bike is a bit tall for my 30" inseam.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Correct me if I'm wrong, (and I am most of the time), but isn't the author of this thread asking what kind of two wheel to purchase? I believe he states he will be keeping his spyder. Am I missing something?

Chris

Spyder Garage

I guess I have the best of both .......2006 GL1800 and a 2013 RT limited ride both and enjoy both.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

It's gonna end up your choice..I last rode a sport wing (which weighed in heavier than the roadster)had only one bad accident and continued riding it for a few more years. Then sold everything and said good bye to biking. Moved to CA and wife bought me the roadster (nice wife) and we have been enjoying it more than we ever did the bikes. I have found in life you can never really go back. Memory has a way of altering things. I for one don't miss it and don't even think of going back but if I had nothing who knows..good luck which ever way you go..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, (and I am most of the time), but isn't the author of this thread asking what kind of two wheel to purchase? I believe he states he will be keeping his spyder. Am I missing something?

Chris
    Your right, But in all honesty who reads the OP's post, After a few other posts things get a little muddy, I know I'm guilty of that too.
    Just people sharing thoughts even if it's not it's 100% relative to the OP's post....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have the Spyder for two up and long distance touring, and a mixture of street bikes and dual sports for all the other times. I'll keep riding two until I am no longer able to keep one upright. I love the lean too much.

Just re-read the OP's question. There are clutchless models from the Honda NC700 series, the Honda VFR1200, the Yamaha FJR1300AE, and Aprilia's Mana 750. Unfortunately nothing in a cruiser platform unless you consider the mega-scooters.
    Last edited by asp125; 06-06-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default I did it Backwards...

I am kinda going backwards. Back 19 years ago just before I married my first wife I decided that while I still had control over my own life that I would get a motorcycle. I bought a old Honda 750K from my brother that he had taken on trade a few year before. I didn’t pay much and proceeded to learn to ride. I was so scared, everytime I rode I kept scanning the ditches thinking “Well if I crash that would be a soft spot” or “Gee I hope I don’t crash there…it would hurt”. So every week I would “FORCE” myself to get on the bike and “learn”. It didn’t fit right, at 6’8” and not a slight build sitting on the bike felt awkward. The last straw was my first night ride, I had stopped at my in laws and ended up staying for dinner and next thing I knew the sun went down. It felt like riding in a tunnel and I was lost with out a horizon and felt like I was leaning in a bad way all the way home. I parked it and never rode it again. In 2007 when the Spyder was first coming out I remember making a comment that if I was to ever ride again THAT WHA T I NEED! I put it out of my head until a couple years back. I work part time at a auto auction and we would get bikes coming through, most were too small. One day we got a Police Harley come through and I made a comment that if I could move the seat back a couple inches it would work, however it looked like it was impossible to do. I sat on a few bikes at dealerships and none were big enough until one day I sat on a Spyder and because it is a one piece seat I realized that I could have the pillion moved back a few inches (4 actually) and next thing I know I am a Spyder rider J. The guys that I ride with bug me about having training wheels and I would shoot back that I didn’t want to be a “FREEKIN LEANER”! Truth was I did want to me a leaner..it to me was a skill that I have never been able to master. Fast forward to many miles on my RS, confidence in the feeling of the speed, and being in traffic I am now the owner of my first “real” leaner and I am loving being on two wheels. I will always have the Spyder especially for long trips but for the city my mega cruiser makes me smile.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Done with 2 wheels, Now it's 3 wheels for me. Occasionally ride on the back of hubby's Harley but that's as close as i will get.

Spyder Garage

Just now on my lunch hour I went by the dealer and happened to look over a CTX700N. In my opinion, the ergos are a deal killer. The forward controls, low seat height and pullback bars put the rider in that typical kicked-back seating position every other cruiser has. I think a lot of people buy based on what feels good in the dealership (when you aren't moving), not what works well out on the road in a 60MPH wind blast.

As for me, I turn 50 years old next week. I'm not quite ready to give up two wheels completely, but I'll stick with small stuff and shorter rides — under about 300 pound curb weight. Anything bigger than that would have too much downside for me to choose over the Spyder. (I still desire to own a KZ1300 someday, but I would be buying that just as a collector's piece, not to ride...much. )
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 06-06-2013 at 02:06 PM.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS