Thread: Brake recall

Spyder Garage

Default Brake recall

So I notice today that BRP has recalled 2013 T and St models because of melting on the brake cylinder. Last year I had brake fluid leaking near the peddle on my 2009 RS. I took it in assuming it was under warranty and the shop claimed it was a exhaust gasket that cause melting on a brake hose. Gasket and all the problems it caused are NOT a warranty item so it was a few hundred bucks to have it repaired. Well the Spyder has been in hibernation since October and guess what I found under the brake peddle once again...brake fluid.

See seeing this recall I at first said "great, free fix" until I notice it is only 2013 models!!!

Has anyone else had leaking on older models and what did your shop do for you? I would like to take the info to my shop in the spring because discussing anything with them is like, and the closest shop to them is over 200 miles each way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

the recall is for the 2013's. Have not heard about earlier models but then haven't been around that long. Need to check and see if this is a recurring problem on your bike or a poor repair. If you use the honda gaskets they work better and adding a heat shield or re-routing brake line should keep that from happening...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I didnt do the repair the shop did so I am certain it would be OEM, plus they charged me over $400 to do it.

Spyder Garage

How many miles have you put on between gasket changes? My OEM lasted about 7-8,000 miles.

Good to hear from you again.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

I have about 2500km (1500miles) since they fixed it last April.

Spyder Garage

Good to hear from you again. [/QUOTE]

Yes Ditto , I went to two wheels last spring so Helga has been riding the Spyder, she is going for her road test in the spring , therefore I NEED it running good and SAFE, not sure how she would cope with a brake failure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waytootall67 View Post
    Yes Ditto , I went to two wheels last spring so Helga has been riding the Spyder, she is going for her road test in the spring , therefore I NEED it running good and SAFE, not sure how she would cope with a brake failure.
    Glad to know you're still riding, and good to hear Helga is getting her knees in the breeze!

Not sure anyone would wants to deal with brake failure. And certainly don't want Her going through that.

Is the brake pad mushy when you push it down?

Have you taken all the skins off the right side and looked for where else the brake fluid may be coming from?

Hopefully it's a loose line, or sloshing out of the reservoir because the mechs didn't put the caps facing rearwards. (Happened to me.)

Tell Helga 'Hi' from me and "Congratulations!"
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Ya I will take off the Tupperware and have a closer look. I was hoping someone else had a similar leak from the brake peddle area so I can advise the techs what to look for. I guess I am the only one out of 17,000 users who have had a leak in this area.