Spyder Garage

Default Shifting Into Neutral on SE6

I didn't want to hijack the other transmission thread but wanted to see how many SE6 riders shift into neutral when at a light? I most always do. I think it has to be hard on the clutch to leave it in gear and despite MSF teachings I always shifted into neutral once a car has stopped behind me when I drove a manual two-wheeler. It is nice being ready to go but I think I am doing my clutch a favor by not sitting in gear.

Spyder Garage

I have never done the shift into neutral when waiting for a light to change. If I get stuck in "parking lot traffic," (very rare) I will then go to neutral or actually shut the engine off if its more than a minute.

A force of habit and convenience for me. Never gave any thought to the possibility of damaging the clutch.

Eager to see what others may have to say.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never shift into neutral while sitting in traffic... especially at a red light... I ALWAYS keep an eye on my rear view mirror for the idiot that does not notice I am stopped..

osm

Spyder Garage

better to be ready. I doubt that it wears it down at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always shift into neutral at a stop but I'm on a manual. Do you shift your automatic car into neutral at stops? I don't, but I did shift my manual cars into neutral. I guess it is more for giving my hand or foot a break then anything else.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I don't shift into neutral at a stop light or in grid lock traffic.

I did that once, forgot I was in neutral and the bang into 1st after revving the engine and dropping it into gear was horrendous so I just don't bother.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Your clutch is not engaged at a light if you are in 1st or neutral it is at the same position. Once you start to accelerate the clutch begins to engage at around 2100 rpm it is fully engaged this is only on the se6 se5 is diff.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Seldom

Usually don't go into neutral at stoplights. But always into neutral when I shut off the motor---became a habit like touching the parking brake.
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't use neutral sitting at a light. ANYTHING I can do to avoid the clunky N to 1 shift.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

I do (have the manual 5) if it is a long light. I would think the semi auto will do fine idling in gear. You have to bring up the revs to have the clutch system start to engage. Most , if not all the se's we ryde with keep it in gear...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I don't use neutral when on 2, 3, or 4 wheels when at stoplights.

The only time my Spyder is in neutral is right after I start it, when it does it automatically.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
    I didn't want to hijack the other transmission thread but wanted to see how many SE6 riders shift into neutral when at a light? I most always do. I think it has to be hard on the clutch to leave it in gear and despite MSF teachings I always shifted into neutral once a car has stopped behind me when I drove a manual two-wheeler. It is nice being ready to go but I think I am doing my clutch a favor by not sitting in gear.
    Never shift into neutral and never did when I rode Harley's.

Always leave plenty room between me in car in front.

You never, ever know what could happen. The car behind you MIGHT stop, but what about the 1, 2, 3 . . .. behind him.

I want the option to get the hell out now if I need to.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting into Neutral on SE5 Spyder ST

I never shift to neutral at a stop light. No problem with the clutch in 10,000 miles.

Dennis
    2013 ST , Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
    When I shift into neutral at a light I also set the parking brake and standup. I only do this when a realignment is needed.

Spyder Garage

If it makes you feel any better, the computer controlled clutch on the SE6 is fully disengaged at idle when in first gear. There is no clutch wear. Its the same as if you had the clutch lever on the SM pulled fully in.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

If you look in your mirror and see a vehicle bearing down on you from behind, you're better off being in gear so you can take evasive action. I have a semi-automatic Spyder now, but when I was riding motorcycles with standard trannies, this was always my policy. I have personal experience in this myself, and so have a few of my friends. Back in 2010, eight of my friends were plowed into by a dump truck while sitting at a light here in Phoenix. Four dear friends died (three at the scene and one in the hosptital), three others were seriously injured, one with permanent brain damage. One of them saw it coming in his mirror and took evasive action, escaping unscathed. Having his bike in first gear saved his life.

http://www.kcby.com/news/national/89266222.html

If you ask me, I say always keep it in gear while at a light.

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 09-16-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's better to leave the option of a "quick-getaway"; available for your use...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I always shift into neutral at a stop but I'm on a manual. Do you shift your automatic car into neutral at stops? I don't, but I did shift my manual cars into neutral. I guess it is more for giving my hand or foot a break then anything else.
    I'm probably dating myself but on old Maico 500s if you didn't shift into neutral on the starting line the bike would creep forward in first and you couldn't hold it back. Made for crappy starts.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The quick getaway posts are right on. Of course, I did not think of that yesterday.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I know we have gotten pretty far from the initial post but I acknowledged the safety aspects of keeping it in gear. Once the car behind you comes to a complete stop, historically closer than you want them too, it's pretty hard to see past that and in my opinion most of the safety afforded by being in gear is nullified. My thought was that it might help save some clutch wear but from what's been posted I guess that has been nullified too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    If you look in your mirror and see a vehicle bearing down on you from behind, you're better off being in gear so you can take evasive action. I have a semi-automatic Spyder now, but when I was riding motorcycles with standard trannies, this was always my policy. I have personal experience in this myself, and so have a few of my friends. Back in 2010, eight of my friends were plowed into by a dump truck while sitting at a light here in Phoenix. Four dear friends died (three at the scene and one in the hosptital), three others were seriously injured, one with permanent brain damage. One of them saw it coming in his mirror and took evasive action, escaping unscathed. Having his bike in first gear saved his life.

http://www.kcby.com/news/national/89266222.html

If you ask me, I say always keep it in gear while at a light.

Pam
    What a horrific situation. Sorry for the loss of your friends Pam.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I talked with my tech when I bought the F3 and he told me leaving it in gear at lights etc... is no problem with the 1330 motor SE6 trans. He said that the clutch on the new motor was designed with this in mind.