Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tried EZ-Pass in Frunk without success

I have had my 2014 RT for a couple of months and had a tussle with the EZ-Pass people here who are canceling motorcycle tags as they were being abused by cagers. I had to supply registrations for my two bikes and they still took their sweet time about issuing new ones. Just got them and decided to try mounting it on the inside of the frunk lid as I have heard form others here. Did it about dead center to the left side of the inside hump. Decided to shoot up to the Bear Mountain Bridge because I knew they had a lift gate that would show me right away if it could be read.

It didn't and I stood up a line of traffic while the agent took the tag in his booth after I popped the lid and confirmed it was real. He opined it may not be able to be read through the plastic frunk lid. The gate sure didn't rise till he took it inside. (I thought traffic would be lighter Tuesday than a weekend but managed to piss off a bunch of people as we worked it out).

So, I do have tape mount on windshield as well, guess I will have to keep it there, just hoped to keep t inside and not deal with putting it up and down.

Anyone else had problems or s it just me missing a trick?

Thanks...
    SpyderWalter

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine did not work in the Frunk either. I tried it in several different spots, non worked.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Nope I had the same problems with ez pass i just stuff mine in my jacket pocket and hold it out when going through than just put it back in my pocket.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have my Ipass on my rear trunk and works fine.. and how old are your transponders??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I have my Ipass on my rear trunk and works fine.. and how old are your transponders??

My transponders are literally brand new and I was hoping that would help. Am considering just putting in glove box (or whatever that is called between my thighs) and in case of trouble just pulling it out and waving it. Popping frunk lid meant turning engine off etc. Hoping to mount on bike in place it could live undisturbed.

SpyderWalter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

sorry to hear about your trouble, i went thru a few tolls 2 weeks ago, mine is in the frunk & i had no problem

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I stuck mine up to the front of the frunk... It's covered by the frunkliner, and I've had no trouble at all with getting it read by the EZ-Pass system!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default EZZ PASS

HAVE JT SHELF BAR WITH RAM MOUNTS NO PROBLEM FROM LAKE GEORGE TOO LONG ISLAND ALL GAATES WENT UP OR GREEN LIGHTS WENT ON WHEN NOT IN USE JUST TAKE DOWN AND PUT AWAY FOR THE NEXT TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mstngken View Post
    Nope I had the same problems with ez pass i just stuff mine in my jacket pocket and hold it out when going through than just put it back in my pocket.
    I used to do that to, Now I just leave the thing home and let them get my plate from the picture. If I am coming to a toll with a gate, I pick the ez-pass only lane and scoot through right behind a cage.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I sure am glad I don't have to worry about that here the only ones that do are those who
    go across the Golden Gate Bridge, Oakland San Francisco Bay Bridge and a few others
    and in LA a few lanes you have to pay for unless you don't have 2 or more in the car....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ended up painting it black at just mounting it behind the windshield. You can't even see it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye299 View Post
    I ended up painting it black at just mounting it behind the windshield. You can't even see it.
    In NJ if you paint it they hit you with a $25 fee when you send it back.... Ask me how I know this. ...[emoji19]

I have mine in the frunk and its a 50/50 shot whether it works or not. We have one old bridge gate that doesn't auto open that I got caught at once on the spyder. Then I realized that there is plenty of room to scoot around/under the gate that the last few times I just go right through if it doesn't open. I don't even care anymore. My plate is registered in the system so I just go through. Between our work vehicles and personal we pay a small fortune in tolls. I refuse to hold other people up and dig through the bike so they can scan the ezpass because of their weak signal.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    In NJ if you paint it they hit you with a $25 fee when you send it back.... Ask me how I know this. ...[emoji19]

I have mine in the frunk and its a 50/50 shot whether it works or not. We have one old bridge gate that doesn't auto open that I got caught at once on the spyder. Then I realized that there is plenty of room to scoot around/under the gate that the last few times I just go right through if it doesn't open. I don't even care anymore. My plate is registered in the system so I just go through. Between our work vehicles and personal we pay a small fortune in tolls. I refuse to hold other people up and dig through the bike so they can scan the ezpass because of their weak signal.
    I'm in NY. I do the same for the tag in my truck windshield. You can get the paint off pretty easy before you send it back. I've sent two back and never got hit with a fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    My transponders are literally brand new and I was hoping that would help. Am considering just putting in glove box (or whatever that is called between my thighs) and in case of trouble just pulling it out and waving it. Popping frunk lid meant turning engine off etc. Hoping to mount on bike in place it could live undisturbed.

SpyderWalter
    That's what I do and leave it in my rear trunk worked better than the frunk in my case..

We don't have gates in my area..As long as I see the blue light come on I know it took the toll..
    Last edited by trikermutha; 09-15-2015 at 06:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

I just got a brand new motorcycle only transponder and tried it the other day, it did not work. I had it in my jacket pocket like the instructions said was an option. It didn't read entering or exiting.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Same Here. Tried it in the frunk of my 2014 RT-L and didn't work. I just put a piece of black industrial (plastic) hook on the dash behind the windshield and a 'loop' strip on the EZ-Pass and it works fine. The black piece on top of the dash isn't all that noticeable...at least no one has commented on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    I have had my 2014 RT for a couple of months and had a tussle with the EZ-Pass people here who are canceling motorcycle tags as they were being abused by cagers. I had to supply registrations for my two bikes and they still took their sweet time about issuing new ones. Just got them and decided to try mounting it on the inside of the frunk lid as I have heard form others here. Did it about dead center to the left side of the inside hump. Decided to shoot up to the Bear Mountain Bridge because I knew they had a lift gate that would show me right away if it could be read.

It didn't and I stood up a line of traffic while the agent took the tag in his booth after I popped the lid and confirmed it was real. He opined it may not be able to be read through the plastic frunk lid. The gate sure didn't rise till he took it inside. (I thought traffic would be lighter Tuesday than a weekend but managed to piss off a bunch of people as we worked it out).

So, I do have tape mount on windshield as well, guess I will have to keep it there, just hoped to keep t inside and not deal with putting it up and down.

Anyone else had problems or s it just me missing a trick?

Thanks...
    SpyderWalter
    I have mounted mine in exactly the same place as yours.
    Generally speaking, it works with two notable exceptions.
    One is the Bear Mountain bridge. The other is the Newburgh Beacon bridge.
    I don't know where to locate it that will work in all places.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Here in Mexico we are the kings of toll roads.....and my Spyder is a "CAR", yes go figure, they say it is car, although my registration says it is a motorcycle. I have to wear a helmet, it is the law, but I drive a "CAR" makes me really pissed off, and I think it is so very unfair. The price for a toll road (the one near me) is 45 pesos (about 3 dollars) while a motorcycle is less than $2. Oh and we are #2 in the world on high prices of tolls, only behind Japan. Go figure. We are such a poor nation (so they say) and we pay huge tolls to drive little distances.

Spyder Garage

I also have mine (a regular car tag but the half-sized one) mounted to the underside of the frunk lid. I've been to Virginia and back several times and had no problem being read by NJ, PA, DE, MD, or VA.

When heading up to Spyderquest last Tuesday, it couldn't read it while exiting the Thruway for the Northway. On the way home Sunday, I moved it to a bag I have mounted behind the windshield. No problems reading it.

Like others, my license plate is registered with EZ Pass.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I have mounted mine in exactly the same place as yours.
    Generally speaking, it works with two notable exceptions.
    One is the Bear Mountain bridge. The other is the Newburgh Beacon bridge.
    I don't know where to locate it that will work in all places.

i have ezpass mount in the frunk, right side of center, near top.
    no problem going over the Newburgh Beacon bridge or nys thruway (so far)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default frunk lid

I have mine taped to the underside of the frunk lid and have had no problems.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    Here in Mexico we are the kings of toll roads.....and my Spyder is a "CAR", yes go figure, they say it is car, although my registration says it is a motorcycle. I have to wear a helmet, it is the law, but I drive a "CAR" makes me really pissed off, and I think it is so very unfair. The price for a toll road (the one near me) is 45 pesos (about 3 dollars) while a motorcycle is less than $2. Oh and we are #2 in the world on high prices of tolls, only behind Japan. Go figure. We are such a poor nation (so they say) and we pay huge tolls to drive little distances.

You are so right 10 years ago paid $55 each way from DF to ACA.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    Same Here. Tried it in the frunk of my 2014 RT-L and didn't work. I just put a piece of black industrial (plastic) hook on the dash behind the windshield and a 'loop' strip on the EZ-Pass and it works fine. .
    I was... uncomfortable mounting it in a place, where somebody walking by the bike might be tempted to walk off with it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've mounted mine on the small, clear, triangular plastic deflector (left side) behind the windshield on my RT and it works everywhere. It's the newer, smaller type, and that spot is almost flat, so it locks into the standard mounting tapes with a loud "click" and has never come loose. I don't consider theft an issue, as the thief would only get one or two uses before deactivation and would risk being caught as well.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

I'm just glad that I don't have to deal with that down our way. There are no toll roads anywhere around me, that I know of.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander