Thread: SS GRILL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default SS GRILL

Was looking at the new ss grill on a f3 at the Cleveland bike show it looks like it may not fit with the spyderpops skid plate. The integrated front spoiler looks like it will be in the way if anyone else has any input or spyderpops is reading this I hope you can tell me I'm wrong. I like the looks of the new grill and really want one but I wont remove the skid plate.

Spyder Garage

I bet any of the vendors for our Spyders will retool their products to fit the new models. They've all done it to accommodate the redesigned RT (2013+), the F3 as well as the 1330 motor. Just relax and let nature takes its course.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say...

Would have to see to be able to tell. I'm sure spyderpops would be the one to talk to. Haven't seen this grille or how it mounts so can't say...did you get a picture of it installed...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default pic of ss grill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ordered that grill for my 2015 F-3S back about October then the catalogue first came out. "Back ordered!" OK, I was in hibernation anyhow, but November came and went, December, January,... Well, you get the idea! Is that a pic out of a magazine or is someone actually in possession of one of these grills? I didn't necessarily order it for aesthetics, but it looked like it would be easier to get the grass hoppers out! Would like to get it before they appear again!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    I ordered that grill for my 2015 F-3S back about October then the catalogue first came out. "Back ordered!" OK, I was in hibernation anyhow, but November came and went, December, January,... Well, you get the idea! Is that a pic out of a magazine or is someone actually in possession of one of these grills? I didn't necessarily order it for aesthetics, but it looked like it would be easier to get the grass hoppers out! Would like to get it before they appear again!
    There are dealers on ebay selling them now.

Spyder Garage

Not a fan of that grill. I like the original one better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mstngken View Post
    Was looking at the new ss grill on a f3 at the Cleveland bike show it looks like it may not fit with the spyderpops skid plate. The integrated front spoiler looks like it will be in the way if anyone else has any input or spyderpops is reading this I hope you can tell me I'm wrong. I like the looks of the new grill and really want one but I wont remove the skid plate.

This should answer your question. Installed one this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Yep that's what I needed to know. Did it bolt on with no problems? Thanks

Spyder Garage

That is one great looking Spyder!!!
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

Yep that's what I needed to know. Did it bolt on with no problems? Thanks
    Had to redrill the holes just like when you install the bumpskid the first time. But it all fits. Had to use longer bolts on a few. Trip to home depot solved that for a few bucks.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Not a fan of that grill. I like the original one better.
    I have to agree at least on my spyder. However, after seeing it on jcthorne's spyder I think it looks really sharp on his. I guess it just depends on what else is going on.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I have to agree at least on my spyder. However, after seeing it on jcthorne's spyder I think it looks really sharp on his. I guess it just depends on what else is going on.
    Even on my bike, when I first mounted it the red bar was all wrong. Clashed with the whole bike. So I painted it the same color as the other silver trim in hopes it would 'fit in' I like it. You can also install the grille without the bar and it looks good too. But yes, its a different look and does not suit all F3s.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The SS Grill will not fit with a Bumpskid installed. I purchased the SS Grill and there is insufficient room between the SS and Bumpskid. I returned the SS to the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palover View Post
    The SS Grill will not fit with a Bumpskid installed. I purchased the SS Grill and there is insufficient room between the SS and Bumpskid. I returned the SS to the dealer.

Sorry but you are incorrect. I posted pics above of the SS grille installed with the lighted bumpskid. Just needs slightly longer bolts for the install.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Sorry but you are incorrect. I posted pics above of the SS grille installed with the lighted bumpskid. Just needs slightly longer bolts for the install.
    With the Lamonster Skid plate installed, the lower lip on the SS Grill has to fit between the skid plate and frame, no way unless you cut the lower lip off of the SS Grill. The SS Grill should fit using the longer bolts supplied. If I cut the lower lip on the SS grill, it will fit with my skid plate but why? I think they eventually will come out with a grill designed for the skid plate withot cutting or using HD longer bolts.

Spyder Garage

With the Lamonster Skid plate installed, the lower lip on the SS Grill has to fit between the skid plate and frame, no way unless you cut the lower lip off of the SS Grill. The SS Grill should fit using the longer bolts supplied. If I cut the lower lip on the SS grill, it will fit with my skid plate but why? I think they eventually will come out with a grill designed for the skid plate withot cutting or using HD longer bolts.
    You do not need to cut the SS grill at all. The new grille simply covers the holes drilled in the lower body work when the bumpskid was installed. You need to redrill the holes and use slightly longer bolts (1/2") to reach the threaded inserts in the body that were installed with the bump skid.

There is no frame at the front of the bike. The bumpskid is attached to the urethane lower lip of the frunk body panel using threaded inserts.

BRP is not going to redesign the grille to fit an aftermarket accessory, you need to adapt the accessory to fit the OEM part if you want them to work together. Its really not that hard.

I am not speaking in the theoretical here. Look a few posts up. I posted pics of the lighted bumpskid installed on my F3 with the SS grille. It fits fine and looks good together.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

You do not need to cut the SS grill at all. The new grille simply covers the holes drilled in the lower body work when the bumpskid was installed. You need to redrill the holes and use slightly longer bolts (1/2") to reach the threaded inserts in the body that were installed with the bump skid.

There is no frame at the front of the bike. The bumpskid is attached to the urethane lower lip of the frunk body panel using threaded inserts.

BRP is not going to redesign the grille to fit an aftermarket accessory, you need to adapt the accessory to fit the OEM part if you want them to work together. Its really not that hard.

I am not speaking in the theoretical here. Look a few posts up. I posted pics of the lighted bumpskid installed on my F3 with the SS grille. It fits fine and looks good together.
    I'm still not getting it yet - did you slide the lip of the grill between the body and the bump skid then drill through the original bump skid hole and then the ss grill? That would make sense to me to remove the bump skid screw, slide in the grill, drill, then use a longer screw through the bump skid, grill and into the body.

Spyder Garage

where did you get that windshield?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I'm still not getting it yet - did you slide the lip of the grill between the body and the bump skid then drill through the original bump skid hole and then the ss grill? That would make sense to me to remove the bump skid screw, slide in the grill, drill, then use a longer screw through the bump skid, grill and into the body.

That is exactly what I did. Sorry if my description was not clear.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    where did you get that windshield?
    Gustovsen screen on BRP Blue Ridge brackets. Its a great windshield.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

That is exactly what I did. Sorry if my description was not clear.
    With a little egg on my face, I will repurchase the SS Grill and attempt the install as you described. I'll be sure to let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help and patience.