Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of buying a Spyder RT-S or Limited

So I'm thinking of making this purchase, but wanted to get feedback on the reliability of this bike and what do you guys NOT like about it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

one problem with my rts is it always takes the long way to go somewhere

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

what year you looking at

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    what year you looking at
    I'm looking at the 2014 and 2015 models.

Spyder Garage

Default No complaints

There have be a few issues on a few models, DESS error, missing locktite on engine bolt cause leak. But if you just make sure these items have been taken care of or that your particular model was not affected, then go for it. Love my 2014 rts.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My complaint : I'm mad that I didn't buy it sooner!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

First off, these bikes are an absolute blast to ride. Loads of fun.

That said, your experience will be heavily influenced by the competence or lack thereof of your dealer. A really great dealer who understands these bikes and has the commitment and the staff to take care of them and you right and you'll be golden. A less than competent dealer and you'll be wondering if you made a huge mistake. There are many people here who have gone many miles out of their way to purchase and have their bike serviced because dealers more local to them were terrible.

As for the machines themselves, there are plenty of people here who have gone 20, 30, 60, 100K miles with no significant problems. Others don't seem to have been able to make to 1000 miles without leaks, error codes, key problems, limp home modes, etc. I don't think it's a 50-50 crap shoot but if you're the type of person that demands near 100% reliability from a vehicle you might need to adjust your expectations.

Just my .02. Overall I've had fun with my ST even with the issues I've had and will probably buy another one in a year or so. But I'll be a lot choosier about who I buy it from.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

IMO, Roger is spot on about the competence of dealer technicians and the customer service attitude of the dealership itself. Like Bob I wish I'd gotten back out of the cage much sooner. Nothing's perfect but on balance I'm very satisfied with my '14 RTS.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 14's and newer seem to be doing well in terms of reliability. There will always be some glitches. Here on Spyderlovers you will see some occasional problems come up but keep in mind that you won't here much from the many who don't have any problems. It is a good thing that we hear about the issues that do come up because we learn from them but don't come to a conclusion that the Spyders are unreliable.
    I've had Yamaha and Honda touring bikes that have had the odd problem too and yet they were very reliable machines.

Gary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Two things

Thinking about it will get you nowhere, test ryde them and OOOO!!! this is not the place to come to find out what owners dislike about these machines.
    we can tell you how we have made them better ( to each his own) But welcome to the place for all the answers you are looking for about spyders and then some..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Thinking about it will get you nowhere, test ryde them and OOOO!!! this is not the place to come to find out what owners dislike about these machines.
    we can tell you how we have made them better ( to each his own) But welcome to the place for all the answers you are looking for about spyders and then some..
    Well I have test ridden it a few times. I've heard maintenance nightmares and the expense of them, so was wondering what is and is not valid. I do LOVE the ride of them and they are definitely fun!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    The 14's and newer seem to be doing well in terms of reliability. There will always be some glitches. Here on Spyderlovers you will see some occasional problems come up but keep in mind that you won't here much from the many who don't have any problems. It is a good thing that we hear about the issues that do come up because we learn from them but don't come to a conclusion that the Spyders are unreliable.
    I've had Yamaha and Honda touring bikes that have had the odd problem too and yet they were very reliable machines.

Gary
    Thanks for the info. Yes, it's a man-made machine, so I do realize there will be some issues. I'm currently riding a Honda CTX 700 DCT and love it. Love the Spyders too. Think I'll go ahead and make the purchase on tomorrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 14/15's are very maintenance friendly. That is the 1330 engine. The 998 is not as bad as it is made out to be...I love the twin...your choice..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

where are you buying it from? get a prepaid maintence program from dealership this helps worrying about paying for maintence later I did it and believe me I had no worries about not having the cash to get it serviced when due

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 2014 RT-s

Really like the RT-s as a tourer with my wife . I dont know all the diffferences to the Limited but it does have a lot of chrome bits for your $2500. Other stuff too. Our RT-s has lots of extras over thebase RT but of course we ( all the Spyderlovers) farkel them up some.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought a 2015 RT Limited.
    Love it new motor and SE6 transmission is a great combination. No issues with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTS SM-6 and have had it for 25 months I now have 72,000 miles knit and have had no problems. Awesome machine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default LOVE MY RTL

You cannot go wrong with the RTL...I have a 13 model and it is the best thing since slice cheese...The RTL has all the bells and whistles while the RTS does not....I have friends who have the RTS's and guess what, they are adding the accessories that the RTL's have and at a high cost....Whatever you get, you will still have a GREAT time riding!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just buy it!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Luv luv luv

Quote Originally Posted by RDW View Post
    Did I mention I luv my issue free 2014 RTS and I'm pushing 40k.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RDW View Post
    The best of the best. Three cylinder has more torque, is quieter, and has lower maintenance requirements.

I have both a 2011 and a 2014 RT. The 2011 is a basic and the 2014 an RT-S. No issues across the board on either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just replaced my 2012 RT-L with a 2014 RT-S. The 2014 was the dealer demo last year and had only 2100 miles on it. When I bought my 2012, the only one I could find in the color I wanted was an RT-L. Bought it, liked it very much. This time I went with an RT-S because all of the nice stuff the RT-L had turned out to be of little value to me. Most of the luggage was still in the original packaging. I used the cover once just to see what it looked like and the very expensive GPS is pretty much useless when you are out in the daylight. If you are going to find value in the extra chrome and equipment, go for the RT-L. Otherwise, go for the RT-S and save a fair amount of money that can be used for other trinkets.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For gosh sakes: just buy the dang bike!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Went to the dealer yesterday to purchase one of these bikes. I asked the salesman, "how much are oil changes on these things?" He said, "anywhere from $280 to $300". What the What? Really? Is that normal? What do you guys pay for your oil changes?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$137...
    But my dealer only charges $65 bucks an hour for his labor!