Spyder Garage

Default 3 Twisted Sister Ride Report

This is an after action report on my Twisted Sisters ride last weekend. I went with a group of fellow retired firefighters from Amarillo. There were 9 bikes, 8 Harley's, one of those was a trike, and then me on my 2015 RTL. You could also read this as a performance report of SpYder vs Harley. You should also note this is my first bike. I have had it a little over a year and it had only 5000 miles on it when we left. You can see that I don't have a lot of experience.

When we left town it was about 36 degrees which was not a real concern because I dressed for the cool and have some Baker Air Wings. I also have the big F4windshield. We got into formation and drove the first 120 miles to Lubbock wher one of the newest Harley's promptly shut down at the busiest intersection in town. The good part of this is that this guy gave me a bunch of bailing wire "just in case something falls off." After we pushed him out of the traffic I promptly offered it back to him! Some people have no sense of humor. He has a computer issue and it caused his CB to quit. He had to reboot a dozen times before it would finally start. This became a continuing problem. Every time we stopped he had issues.

All of those guys have last century technology for communication between the bikes by using CB radios. I don't have one but I do have a Sena headset. I must admit that the CB was helpful by talking front rider to back guy for lane changes and road hazards. We looked like a snake going down the road doing well executed lane changes. At one of our fuel stops I bought a hand held CB. I could not talk very easy but could listen with ear buds. If the CB for our bikes were not so crappy I might buy one because I doubt if I can get all those guys to change to Sena type system.

"THE RIDE" on Twisted Sisters was outstanding! I have lived in Texas for 60 years but have never been to this part. The scenery is great with nice curves, roads along sheer drop offs, rivers, lakes, big impressive homes and ranches. My SpYder with my experience level vs all those seasoned riders in my group was enough to keep up and stay with them. I did have a few "OH CRAP" moments where I was a little too hot in the turn. I think I should plan on a BajaRon sway bar to improve the tight cornering.

We stayed in Ingram, Texas at the Hunter House Inn. We met up with about 150 other firefighters who were there for their annual conference and ride. We would not ride with that big of a group for safety reasons. We did our own thing. This motel and the town in general are extremely biker friendly. The facilities are not five star but were clean and comfortable with a nice cafe on site. If the bikes quit going to this town it would dry up and blow away.

This is a very historic area of Texas with lots of little towns that played a part in Texas history. Some of these towns are on the ride loops like Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Comfort, Bandera, Boerne, Leakey and of course Luckenbach where Waylon, Willie, and the boys ....... On one of the rides we ended up at the Javelina Harley Davidson dealership so 3 of the boys could get stuff fixed! Austin and San Antonio are 30 minutes or so away.

on the last day we were there one of the guys in my group was backing his Harley into a parking spot and his foot slipped in the gravel and it fell over on his foot. I told him mine backs up just fine and won't fall over. I feel bad now because he found out yesterday he broke a bone in his foot!

BTW, I did see about 18 or so other Spyders in the 4 days we were down there.

My my ride did as good as any of the guys I went with, except for fuel mileage. The best I got was 36 and that was on the Twisted Sisters day and the average is about 28 at highway speeds. I have the extra tall and extra wide F4 windshield so I feel that is the main reason. As far as cornering all the guys were impressed! I could not get anyone to drag race off the line. They would beat me all out because mine goes a lot faster than I am willing to drive it.

The creature comfort of mine vs the newest Harley's .............. Their technology seems to be better in the am-fm radio system, CB, GPS. It is all in the dash screen with the tach and speedo. It is also Bluetooth to their helmets. Can Am should look at this area to improve our stuff. Their headlight system is pretty neat too!

Seat comfort....... About 1300 miles door to door round trip. I have got to tell you that my butt hurts! I got no sympathy from my riding guys..... They said it should hurt because it has a big crack in it!

I have no real regrets, issues, or problems YET! It was an outstanding ride to an outstanding place. I was surrounded by people wearing leather and sporting tattoos of which I don't have. Best of all......I did not see a PETA protester anywhere!
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thanks for the ryde along
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great report from a great ride. A little more experience in the twisties and you will find that these bikes can keep up with anything. Let off the throttle just before entering the turn and at the apex roll hard back on it and you wont have any problems.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Great review...

Thanks for the rrview of your trip. Loved ryding those areas when I lived in Texas the first and second time but it was before the spyders time...Nice read with my morning coffee. It's quiet here this morning and I hope it is because you are all out ryding the countryside...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I enjoyed reading your report. I live in PA, but spent a month last fall in a Motorhome in Lakeway, TX (west of Austin and north of Beehive). Got to see some of the area out to the west, but not as much as I'd have liked, and didn't get as far out as the towns you visited. Now I'm inspired to do more exploring the next time we're there. We'll be back, as we have a son, granddaughter, and daughter-in-law that lives in Austin. Unfortunately, I won't be on the Spyder, as I have yet to figure out how to get it, the motorhome, and the car to Texas all in one trip.
    Last edited by robmorg; 04-09-2016 at 03:35 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for your write up. For anyone wanting to come out here with a bit more time than just to ride the sisters, I would recommend getting the Butler Motorcycle map for the area (https://www.butlermaps.com/motorcycl...l-country-map/). They have done a very good job of grading the various roads around here, and there are a lot more than just the sisters.

Spyder Garage

I enjoyed reading your adventure, I'm heading to Twisted Sisters on May 30th on the way to Big Bend National Park and then on to some rides in California and then back to North Carolina. I'm riding a 14 RT-S and am hoping my DESS doesn't give me problems out in the middle of nowhere. Any tips on rides in Texas are welcome.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the post. My Meetup group just announced a 3 sisters trip for next year. Ill try to make it. Im assuming 3 sisters and twisted sisters are the same thing.
    http://www.meetup.com/Spyder-Ryders-...nts/230102970/
    Steve said they will be holding 30 rooms for us so it sounds like a pretty popular ryde.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Im assuming 3 sisters and twisted sisters are the same thing.
    They are the same FM335, FM336, and FM337

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    I enjoyed reading your adventure, I'm heading to Twisted Sisters on May 30th on the way to Big Bend National Park and then on to some rides in California and then back to North Carolina. I'm riding a 14 RT-S and am hoping my DESS doesn't give me problems out in the middle of nowhere. Any tips on rides in Texas are welcome.
    There are a few ways to get to the Sisters once you are in the Hill Country. One way is to go south out of Kerrville on 16 to Medina, then catch 337 west to Leakey. 16 has some good twisties and is one that you should ride at some point. Another way to go is west from Kerrville on 27 to 39, then south on 83 into Leakey. 39 runs alongside the Guadalupe River and is very pretty. You could also take I-10 to 83 and run south from there, but you miss some good scenery doing that.

You will be missing the wildflowers but there are still some nice roads around Fredericksburg that are worth seeing. And on the western side of Austin there are some highly recommended roads around the lakes. Fredericksburg is an old German community that is a good place to visit, has more tourist value than Kerrville, IMHO.

Out in the Big Bend area, Ranch Road 170 is highly recommended.

Spyder Garage

We had a really nice ryde yesterday to Palestine. I counted 10 spyders with many 2 ups. The ryde from Edom to palestine was breathtaking.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Here's one of my favorite routes for the "Sisters"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dochatley; 04-10-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like another bucket list ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 3 Twisted Sisters

I would recommend that if you have not been to the sisters before you should go in a small group with some who have been there. I did not get to see much of the scenery because I was so focused on doing what I needed to do to keep it on the road. I promise you that it is easy to get distracted! Someone said ther were other roads equally as fun and they are right. We should have stayed a week instead of 4 days.

Another area in Texas to ride is from Claude Texas heading south to Silverton and Caprock Canyons. Then there is Palo Duro Canyon which is the second largest Canyon in the US. It's the baby brother to the Grand Canyon.
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default will do Sisters in May.

Leaving NC in 1 May for Rockwall, Tx, then San Antonio, and Houston. Bout a week in Rockwall with riding with my old AF Buddy and catching up to do. Will check in with photos.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    There are a few ways to get to the Sisters once you are in the Hill Country. One way is to go south out of Kerrville on 16 to Medina, then catch 337 west to Leakey. 16 has some good twisties and is one that you should ride at some point. Another way to go is west from Kerrville on 27 to 39, then south on 83 into Leakey. 39 runs alongside the Guadalupe River and is very pretty. You could also take I-10 to 83 and run south from there, but you miss some good scenery doing that.

You will be missing the wildflowers but there are still some nice roads around Fredericksburg that are worth seeing. And on the western side of Austin there are some highly recommended roads around the lakes. Fredericksburg is an old German community that is a good place to visit, has more tourist value than Kerrville, IMHO.

Out in the Big Bend area, Ranch Road 170 is highly recommended.
    Thanks for the tips Gray Ghost. These are on the list to not miss: Fredericksburg, #16, #39, and #170. I'm starting to realize there isn't enough time to see all the beautiful sights Texas has to offer.

Spyder Garage

I'm from Canyon, TX. I have had the pleasures of riding in that area on 2 wheels. To me, corning in the twisties is just the opposite of what you do on two wheels. I pick my line, adjust my speed, and then roll on the throttle at the beginning of the curve. That will keep the Spyder in the line I chose and maintain a smooth ride throughout the curve.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    ...I'm starting to realize there isn't enough time to see all the beautiful sights Texas has to offer.
    There is still land for sale out here.....