Spyder Garage

Default Experienced a DESS error for the first time at Spyderfest? Please read this!

Hey everyone,

We've been doing some further diagnostics on some of the intermittent DESS issues that have been reported. The way the DESS system works is that a signal is detected by the DESS module antenna (in the ignition switch) from the key. However, if there is another Spyder (or even another chipped vehicle) key from a different unit within arm's length to the ignition, it is possible that the module picks up that signal instead of the working key's signal, and decides that the signal is not the right one.

This happens often with no error codes or other symptoms and can appear to be an issue identical to a DESS module failure, however the system is operating as intended. If you see this error, please ensure there are no other Spyder or chipped keys within arm's length to the ignition switch on your vehicle, and wait a few minutes before trying again. If the problem occurs far away from other keys (eg while you are the only Spyder at a gas station), then it is much more likely to be an issue.

Hope this helps,

Steve
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

BRP,
    I keep my spare key to my 2014 RT-SE6 in the glove box below the ignition, is this a problem? I'm starting to get a DESS error with Spyder in my garage.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ANOTHER KEY

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hey everyone,

We've been doing some further diagnostics on some of the intermittent DESS issues that have been reported. The way the DESS system works is that a signal is detected by the DESS module antenna (in the ignition switch) from the key. However, if there is another Spyder (or even another chipped vehicle) key from a different unit within arm's length to the ignition, it is possible that the module picks up that signal instead of the working key's signal, and decides that the signal is not the right one.

This happens often with no error codes or other symptoms and can appear to be an issue identical to a DESS module failure, however the system is operating as intended. If you see this error, please ensure there are no other Spyder or chipped keys within arm's length to the ignition switch on your vehicle, and wait a few minutes before trying again. If the problem occurs far away from other keys (eg while you are the only Spyder at a gas station), then it is much more likely to be an issue.

Hope this helps,

Steve
    ...........Yep Steve this was discussed with a BRP tech over the phone yesterday when I called up when I was stranded at a gas station......I only had the one KEY and NO other Spyders at the station....also no other electrical devices to interfere.....Hope this helps...................Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey everyone,

Hope this helps,

Steve
    Well that's just crappy engineering if you ask me. You'd think that you would be able to resolve this issue or reengineer that.
    RDW

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So it may not be a good idea for Spyders to flock together? What's the fun in that?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RDW View Post
    Well that's just crappy engineering if you ask me. You'd think that you would be able to resolve this issue or reengineer that.
    I love my Spyders but why is my RT the only one with the problem?? I did get the error once while parked under high tension lines. I moved it to the side of the building and was able to start it. We normally travel with two keys for each Spyder and trade off who is riding which. NEVER have experienced the problem on the F3. I haven't really paid attention but are other than RT models experiencing the problem?

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know...

Makes sense....so if you drill a hole in your key and put it on a ring with your car key you could have an issue as well as carrying your car keys with you while ryding the spyder...Would that be more the 14's on up..?? I carry two keys when ryding can this confuse the system..?? I have an RS 2012 and never had an issue but never carry but the two keys when ryding... What about dash mounted remotes..?? Okay enough questions....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default D.E.S.S. - FIX

Steve ( BRP Cares ) and Eric one of the BRP Techs really stepped up and went the EXTRA MILE and got my Spyder fixed .....I did help by re-moving the " FRUNK " which takes them awhile to do.............So the part is a 2016 Module # 710004916.....Mike

Spyder Garage

My first spyder was a 2012RTS-SE5 and I never had the D.E.S.S. error or had the ignition Switch replaced.

So why are the 14's & 15's spyders getting the D.E.S.S. Error/ and having the ignition switch replaced?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Steve ( BRP Cares ) and Eric one of the BRP Techs really stepped up and went the EXTRA MILE and got my Spyder fixed .....I did help by re-moving the " FRUNK " which takes them awhile to do.............So the part is a 2016 Module # 710004916.....Mike
    Safe travels home. REALLY hope that is the final fix. I need to call service and get mine scheduled.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey everyone,

Hope this helps,

Steve

I find it ironic that I can drive my 2014 F150 that has a chipped key with my 2006 Honda Ridgeline chipped key and my Spyder chipped key in my pocket without a problem...

I also find it ironic that I can drive my 2006 Honda Ridgeline that has a chipped key with my F150 chipped key and my Spyder chipped key in my pocket without a problem...

In both the above situations the other carried keys are closer than a arms length distance to the ignition switch...

IF BRPCARE, CARED, THEY WOULD TURN THIS FLAWED SYSTEM OFF UNTIL A PROPER SOLUTION/FIX IS AVAILABLE...

This is my forth go around with this DESS failure issue...And every the bike is down for another three weeks during the prime riding season...

You have one of the finest touring bikes on the road and BRP is allowing this one major over engineered flaw the darken it reputation...

TURN IT OFF OR FIX IT!!!!

larryd

Spyder Garage

Thank you Steve for the info.

However, it is IMPOSSIBLE for two Spyders to be parked such that their ignitions are an ARMS LENGTH within each other UNLESS BRP is using King Kong as the standard for an arm's length!

AJ

Hey everyone,

Hope this helps,

Steve

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Steve

Thanks for the info. The more info we have the better prepared we are to solve these issues on our own.

This is similar to a hotel telling you to keep your room key away from a magnet, or don't use a microwave if you have a pacemaker, Makes Sense.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Carrying two keys that go with the same Spyder should not cause an issue. Both keys have the same coded chip.

Like any other "active RFID" system, it has its faults.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

In light of the fact that BRP denied there was any heat issues in the 2013s, until the government forced them to correct, any "suggestions" about or "blame the victim" on BRP's part is IMO a waste of our time.

Obviously, the codes thrown don't tell enough about the problem to do anymore than replace the module. Since the part numbers are changing, was the module/s actually changed and the defect actually found or is it just throw things at it until they sell the bike or the warranty runs out?

With some dealers being told to replace one item and other dealers told to replace something else, says to me that BRP are still guessing.

How hard could this problem be? No issues until 2014, every car made today has a chip in the key and you don't read recall notices on cars.

Everyone wants bigger and better but IMO somethings when working should be left alone.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    So it may not be a good idea for Spyders to flock together? What's the fun in that?
    What is BRP going to say @next year's 10th Anniversary event when there will be a gazillion Spyders parked close together??????????
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    What is BRP going to say @next year's 10th Anniversary event when there will be a gazillion Spyders parked close together??????????

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey Steve how about BRP giving the customer the choice and be able to shut this flawed DESS system off.

Spyder Garage

My wife's 2014 st just had this happen 115km from home $531 tow!