I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to say thanks for this thread. I read the whole thing over a cup of coffee this morning.
I'm a 100% Totally and Permanent disabled Veteran. In my state placards are VERY common and permanent plates are not. However, as a disabled vet I qualify for such plates and had them on a car and when I parked in designated parking I would get "the look" from people next to me waiting for me to hang my placard on the rear view mirror. Some would stop me and ask me where it is and I would just tell them to check my license plate.

I just got my Spyder because I made the decision that I can't ride 2 wheels anymore as it's too painful. This is a great solution so I can still go 2-up with my wife and enjoy everything. When I registered the bike I was talking with our locally Registry office about disabled bike plates for vets and they don't have them (yet, the law is about to change). So I settled for a regular plate and asked for an application for a placard.

The next day I had a physical with my private primary care doctor and asked her to fill out the form for a placard. She refused stating "I don't think you need it". I then had to tell her that I already qualify regardless of how she felt. She still refused to sign, and told me to have my Veterans Affairs doctor do it. I then told her she better get ready for the law change because in a few months any veteran rated 60% or above will be able to get disability plates and she responded by saying "what about their disability?". I had to explain to her that we are disabled and were already rated by a grueling process through dept of Veteran Affairs and shouldn't have to go through anymore B.S. and that is all she had to say.

Ignorance is everywhere