Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...........JC, I have the GOLD brand and I've seen pics of the Magnet in the Dimple brand ...... It looks like the Dimple has a larger magnet and I think this is the problem .......the larger magnet causes them to drill a larger hole in the plug , thus making the walls thinner, thus the failure...................jmho.......Mike

This may very well be true. I have not seen a snapped off gold plug. What you say about a smaller magnet would make sense as it leaves more metal at the weakest point.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents. I have a '15 RTS, the MP01 listed for the transmission does NOT fit my transmission. (I'll stop there).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I do not recommend the dimple plugs. They are worse than the OEM in terms of failure. Having done MANY spyder oil changes, the OEM plugs are just fine if you use the right tools to remove and install them. Dimple refused to stand behind their defective product. Once you see a snapped off Dimple plug, its easy to see why they fail from the very thin wall under the o-ring. Bad product.
    I almost wish that I hadn't seen this... Are the Gold Plugs any better?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default stripped oil plug

Mine did the same, I just welded a nut to the bottom of the striped plug. Now I just use a ratchet and socket

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    On your F3, one plug is torx, the other is hex. What sort of tool were you using? You need a torx drive socket and ratchet, not a key. If the head striped out, the wrong tool was used or not fully inserted.

I do not recommend the dimple plugs. They are worse than the OEM in terms of failure. Having done MANY spyder oil changes, the OEM plugs are just fine if you use the right tools to remove and install them. Dimple refused to stand behind their defective product. Once you see a snapped off Dimple plug, its easy to see why they fail from the very thin wall under the o-ring. Bad product.
    I stand corrected.. I guess the other dimple plug with the o-rings is also failing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    I have seen that other people have replaced the oil plugs on their bikes. I did the first oil change on mine today but, I had an oil plug strip on me. I had the correct "T" tool and it still stripped out. I did get it out and drained the oil. I do not want to put that one, or the other one back in there. I have looked and found another oil plug that others have used but $63.00. I will look and ask if anyone knows of any that do not cost that much.
    Striped my T plug as well on 1st oil change. Spend the money and buy the Dimple set.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It baffles me, why folks will spend $20,000 or so on a motorcycle, and then balk at the cost of an aftermarket accessory for it...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ACCESSORIES VS PROPERLY BUILT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It baffles me, why folks will spend $20,000 or so on a motorcycle, and then balk at the cost of an aftermarket accessory for it...
    I doubt anyone thinks of the DRAIN PLUGS ( Dimple or Gold brand ) as an accessory or Farkle or Mod .....jmho, Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I doubt anyone thinks of the DRAIN PLUGS ( Dimple or Gold brand ) as an accessory or Farkle or Mod .....jmho, Mike
    If it didn't come stock on the bike: it's got to be called something...
    While it's certainly not as "sexy" a piece, as is Lamont's By-pass pipe: it still will have value...
    I've got a set of "Dimples" here in my desk. I was supposed to have them installed with my oil change in August, but I completely forgot to take them up to the Dealership...

Spyder Garage

I just ordered a set of plugs, gold plugs, on EBay. They cost $43.00. That is better than the $63.00.

Spyder Garage

What baffles me is why would a company who has to know about the plug problems keep charging as much as 20,000. _32,000 and not address the iissue and solve the problem that would probably not cost them a dollar more to solve.
    Kenn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO if you are not comfortable enough tightening drain plugs without the use of a torque wrench, and/or are stripping oil drain plugs/plug holes, then you should really consider leaving the tools in the toolbox and letting someone else change the oil for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    IMHO if you are not comfortable enough tightening drain plugs without the use of a torque wrench, and/or are stripping oil drain plugs/plug holes, then you should really consider leaving the tools in the toolbox and letting someone else change the oil for you.
    How is anyone supposed to learn what the proper torque feels like without using a torque wrench? I certainly can assemble nearly anything without one, but why not use it if you have it, assuming it is properly calibrated and you know how to use it? I don't understand this dislike of torque wrenches?

Just so I can "prove" my competence, I took this from this:

To this:

To this:

100% by myself, without needing a torque wrench except engine assembly.

Want further "proof" of my competence, click on the link in my sigline.

Sorry if I seem a bit defensive.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PROOF ?????

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    How is anyone supposed to learn what the proper torque feels like without using a torque wrench? I certainly can assemble nearly anything without one, but why not use it if you have it, assuming it is properly calibrated and you know how to use it? I don't understand this dislike of torque wrenches?

To this:

To this:

.Sorry if I missed seeing any " Proof " ..................Drew, I trust your opinion ......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can call it "Stupid", "Old-Fashioned", or just being cheap; but I just tighten them back up, with the same effort that it took to remove it...

Spyder Garage

You can call it "Stupid", "Old-Fashioned", or just being cheap; but I just tighten them back up, with the same effort that it took to remove it...
    I'm not calling it any of those things. I just don't see any harm in using them.

Then again, I don't tend to break or strip bolts, so there is that!
    Last edited by JimVonBaden; 10-31-2016 at 12:23 PM.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Of course not!

.Sorry if I missed seeing any " Proof " ..................Drew, I trust your opinion ......Mike
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To this:

To this:

Wasn't looking for proof, and honestly wasn't anything directed toward you specifically. Just a general statement. Sorry you got your panties in a bunch... If you've taken anything apart then you obviously know how silly it really is to feel the need to use a torque wrench on an oil drain plug. Especially, a steel plug threaded into aluminum. Next people will be asking for what torque specs to use on the body panel bolts. The specific torque on a drain plug with a crush washer or oring just isn't that critical.
    However, since you asked on how someone is supposed to get the feel. The way I was taught, and the way I taught my kids is to use mostly 1/4" drive starting out. Nearly impossible to gorilla tighten with 1/4".
    Anymore I only use a torque wrench when I have multiple bolts that need to be consistent like on a motor or trans. Other odds and ends too....but not a drain plug.

Which is why I made the statement that if someone isn't confident enough in their ability to tighten a drain plug without feeling the need to throw a torque wrench on there, then maybe they should leave the tools in the box
    Best of luck!

Last edited by DrewNJ; 10-31-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wasn't looking for proof, and honestly wasn't anything directed toward you specifically. Just a general statement. Sorry you got your panties in a bunch... If you've taken anything apart then you obviously know how silly it really is to feel the need to use a torque wrench on an oil drain plug. Especially, a steel plug threaded into aluminum. Next people will be asking for what torque specs to use on the body panel bolts. The specific torque on a drain plug with a crush washer or oring just isn't that critical.
    However, since you asked on how someone is supposed to get the feel. The way I was taught, and the way I taught my kids is to use mostly 1/4" drive starting out. Nearly impossible to gorilla tighten with 1/4".
    Anymore I only use a torque wrench when I have multiple bolts that need to be consistent like on a motor or trans. Other odds and ends too....but not a drain plug.

Which is why I made the statement that if someone isn't confident enough in their ability to tighten a drain plug without feeling the need to throw a torque wrench on there, then maybe they should leave the tools in the box
    Best of luck!

I just threw in the proof because some here seem to need it to even listen to the new guy.

As for using a torque wrench, I still fail to see the harm in it, especially for someone starting out wrenching. I do believe that certain critical fasteners should be properly torqued. This includes wheels, brake components, etc. If you disagree that is fine, your call on your bike. I would not trust my bike to someone who looks down on others for wanting to be sure, and I sure would not belittle others who wish to use their torque wrenches on their bikes.

Oh, and body panel screws are usually 8-10Nm.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I've never felt the need to be accepted by any particular group, and have never been one to try and post up "proof" of any accomplishments. I have nothing to prove and have never cared what anyone thought or believed, especially on an internet forum. But hey, whatever works for you....👍

Last edited by DrewNJ; 10-31-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I've never felt the need to be accepted by any particular group, and have never been one to try and post up "proof" of any accomplishments. I honestly have never cared what anyone thought or believed, especially on an internet forum. But hey, whatever works for you....👍

Cool, then I am perfectly comfortable disagreeing with you!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Even though I don't have a 1330 engine, I wanted to thank SemperFi and Copperman for starting this thread and answering it quickly. I now know about Gold plugs, Dimple Plugs, and alternatives, but have decided I'd get the goldplugs myself and do this maintenance myself.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool, then I am perfectly comfortable disagreeing with you!
    Glad your making yourself comfortable😎

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Common sense guys...Torque specs are assumed dry unless otherwise stated. The torque specs are originally implemented for production/assembly. From there they are later extended out to service manuals.

Most torque wrenches are considerably larger/longer than a regular socket or box wrench. The extra size transitions to extra leverage making it much more possible to strip threads. You really have to try to strip threads with a regular wrench.
    You guys really like to over think something so simple. Snug it, tug it and be done.
    Ride more, worry less!

Spyder Garage

Common sense guys...Torque specs are assumed dry unless otherwise stated. The torque specs are originally implemented for production/assembly. From there they are later extended out to service manuals.

Most torque wrenches are considerably larger/longer than a regular socket or box wrench. The extra size transitions to extra leverage making it much more possible to strip threads. You really have to try to strip threads with a regular wrench.
    You guys really like to over think something so simple. Snug it, tug it and be done.
    Ride more, worry less!

Saying the length of a torque wrench is the problem is like saying the strength of the person is the problem. What is a "tug", how does that translate to properly crushing a crush washer? I'm pretty sure someone who can't properly use a torque wrench is no more likely to properly use a regular wrench! You are under thinking it.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)