Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Premium Gas shortage Down South, so using 87 - OK?!

I am not sure if any of the other southern Spyder riders are having the same problem I am, but with the pipeline leak from a couple of weeks ago that caused most of the gas stations around me to run out of gas, I am having trouble finding any premium gas to put in Cocaine. The stations around me now have regular 87 octane, but that is it. No premium 93 or mid-grade 89. I had to fill up using the 87, and I know that some people put this in their bike all the time, but it is the first time I have had too. Hopefully get a chance to ride today and see how Cocaine does on the 87 octane.

Spyder Garage

Swing by autozone or Pepboys & grab some octane boost Should be ez enough to find

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm no automotive expert, nor have I even played one on TV. But from reading this forum I've learned 2 things:

1. Higher octane does nothing more than prevent pre-ignition. The rest of the gasoline is the same, regardless of octane.

2. Our Spyders' computer system senses pre-ignition and modifies spark timing to prevent it from happening. So, no engine damage, just possibly lower performance, a worthwhile sacrifice.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken. In fact, I hope so!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I just came back from Clearwater Florida on I-95 and I-75, and #19, plenty of gas everywhere. I left from Pinehurst, North Carolina.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't worry about having to put 87 octane in your Spyder: it can adapt for it.
    It might run a bit better on the higher octane stuff, but if it can get it to burn; you're good to go!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OK

Our service manager at one of the best Spyder Dealers in the Country says that it is a waste of money to use the Higher Octane grades......I seem to remember Cocaine being higher Octane than 93!!!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default I know what it's called

Putting high octane gasoline in Cocaine is, in the parlance of the street, called a Sypder Bite.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have ran 87 -89 with no problems

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HIGHER OCTANE

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I'm no automotive expert, nor have I even played one on TV. But from reading this forum I've learned 2 things:

1. Higher octane does nothing more than prevent pre-ignition. The rest of the gasoline is the same, regardless of octane.

2. Our Spyders' computer system senses pre-ignition and modifies spark timing to prevent it from happening. So, no engine damage, just possibly lower performance, a worthwhile sacrifice.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken. In fact, I hope so!
    ......And ....No you aren't mis-taken ..... the computer WILL make the adjustment IF NEEDED. I have 26,000 + miles on my 1330 using 87 octane and am quite satisfied with it even using ECO mode 75 % of the time.........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I stopped at my normal gas station to fill up the Spyder this past Friday. I normally run 90 octane non-ethanol gas, the station was out of it, due to the impact of the pipeline break in our state, TN. So I had to put the ethanol blend in the tank. I heard the pipeline has been repaired, I am hoping that gas supplies get back to normal soon!!! BTW, my Spyder runs great on the 90 octane!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought it was kerosene that was in cocaine

Spyder Garage

It will run just fine on Reg.. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

What they said above. Oh, and we are doing our part in Alaska to help solve the problem of the gas "shortages" down in the SE. The news said that gas would probably spike another 20 cents a gallon or so because of the situation. Ours promptly went up 20 cents a gallon the next day. $2.57 for most regular (87) now. Add 20 cents for premium (91). Our gas comes from here, is refined here, and used here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PRICE HIKE

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    What they said above. Oh, and we are doing our part in Alaska to help solve the problem of the gas "shortages" down in the SE. The news said that gas would probably spike another 20 cents a gallon or so because of the situation. Ours promptly went up 20 cents a gallon the next day. $2.57 for most regular (87) now. Add 20 cents for premium (91). Our gas comes from here, is refined here, and used here.
    Interesting , I thought for sure it would rise in Vermont but it actually dropped a few cents.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Shortage

Hello All, I usually run 93 octane in my Spyder, I believe that the higher octane keeps the engine cleaner, and performs better, just me, ain't nothing but a thing.

Midnightbreeze

Spyder Garage

Like Bfromla says, get some octane booster. Carry it with you all the time in case there isn't any higher octane gas available when you travel.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No problem with fuel in Western NC or Western Virginia. Goldwing folks had a stste meet in Cherokee last week and no problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the responses. This morning all the gas stations around me still had nothing but 87 octane but by this afternoon, all the bags were off the pumps and I am good to fill up with 93. This might be the first time that I can almost guarantee the gas will be fresh. As far as what you mix cocaine with to get a Spyder Bite, I would not have a clue what you are talking about. That's my story and I am sticking with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds about right. SMDH

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool The UK version....

Our fuel octane measurement is a bit different to that which is used in the US but I've used both available grades in both of my Spyders
    and TBH I can't tell any difference in the performance. There may be a small difference in fuel economy, the higher octane giving a marginally
    better number, but the difference is almost negligible.
    What I do use religiously and at each fuel fill is Millers fuel additive and I can feel the difference using that. Not only does it boost the octane
    but it also keeps the fuel path, throttle bodies and injectors clean.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    Sounds about right. SMDH
    The gas companies do like to stick it to us. And they are right on with any price changes. It all happens within a couple hours--everywhere--on the price rises. Going down--they tend to take their time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The gas companies do like to stick it to us. And they are right on with any price changes. It all happens within a couple hours--everywhere--on the price rises. Going down--they tend to take their time.
    I love their logic when it comes to raising and lowering the price of gas. When the cost goes down, they say they can't lower the price immediately because it is the higher price stuff in the pipelines and trucks. When the cost goes up, or there is an opportunity to screw us consumers, they jack it up even though logically, it is the lower priced gas in the works. They can do this because they know we need it and they are gonna give us the shaft every chance they get. Then they make commercials telling us how much they care about us. I guess at least they might consider that as the kiss for us before they us.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I love their logic when it comes to raising and lowering the price of gas. When the cost goes down, they say they can't lower the price immediately because it is the higher price stuff in the pipelines and trucks. When the cost goes up, or there is an opportunity to screw us consumers, they jack it up even though logically, it is the lower priced gas in the works. They can do this because they know we need it and they are gonna give us the shaft every chance they get. Then they make commercials telling us how much they care about us. I guess at least they might consider that as the kiss for us before they us.
    You have hit the nail on the head.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

"Gas Down South"

I get that the morning after I go to Taco Bell.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

20160927_120756.jpg20160927_120806.jpg

This was Tuesday at a Marathon station just down the road from me. Speedway across the street, same. One station had all three available, but I won't by gas there. It's one of those privately owned corner convenience stores They buy what is called 'low book' gas. In other words, it's what ever the distributor has left after primary sales. Also, their tanks are not cleaned regularly so it's no telling what lurks in the gas. I will buy it for my mower, but that's all.