Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default DESS Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by RDW View Post
    So I'm thinking of making this purchase, but wanted to get feedback on the reliability of this bike and what do you guys NOT like about it?
    As you see, everyone likes their RS - especially if they have a 2014 model or newer. However, to be fair, there has been a lot of complaints on the forum about a DESS problem on the 2014 models that can occasionally leave you stranded. DESS stands for "Digitally Encoded Security System" and has to do with the security chip key system the Spyder uses. Since I own an earlier model, I don't know if BRP has fully resolved it, yet, and/or if it extends to the 2015 models as well. Perhaps someone more familiar with the problem will chime in here.

That said, for as sophisticated as this machine is - much more so than most bikes - reliability problems seem to be relatively few. Also, Spyders have a two-year factory warranty, which can be extended for another 3 years at a reasonable cost. Many buyers get their dealers do throw in the extended warranty as part of the deal, and sometimes BRP offers two extra years free as a sales promotion - especially on left-over models. The manufacturer is generally pretty good about fixing problems that may crop up if any. So "reliability" is really not much of a concern for a Can Am Spyder, IMO.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-30-2016 at 06:53 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat