Threaded View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default M2/Elka/Fox front Shocks - RTL ride height

A question aimed at those who have fitted the aftermarket M2, Elka or Fox Shocks to their RTL.

1. Did the fitting of these raise the ride height at the front by any noticeable amount, when fitted as configured from the factory.
    2. If you went rear too, has the RTL ride height adjustment played nicely with the new setup?
    3. What affect did fitting just the fronts have on the rear behavior if you only replaced fronts?
    4. If any of the Elka/M2/Fox shocks increase ride firmness, how has the hardware/tupperware on coped with the extra vibration, or hasn't it been an issue?
    5. Has anyone changed the oil from factory to a different weight?
    6. Is changing settings mid journey feasible/practical/no?
    7. Did you feel the fitting of one of these brands of shock (front and rear) negate the need for a sway-bar?
    8. Have the shocks been able to be removed from your earlier model RTL and fitted to later models to date?

My wife is very low weight, and 90% of our touring (with her as pillion) is done with the rear air suspension on the lowest setting, above that and it gets a bit harsh for her. If these shocks raise the front then its safe to assume that, in order for the RTL to be leveled, the rear air bag will raise the rear to level the RTL out and bring with it, a harsher ride.

One other issue being the front windscreen strut, and its tendency to fracture from vibration crosses my mind too.

I have an 2017 RTL and some money to spend and have been getting more and more hooked on the idea of getting a set of aftermarket shocks for the front, and later the rear. My RTL is still under warranty so I've got a little wait ahead of me, but am doing some homework
    Last edited by askitee; 06-30-2019 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Added missing reference
    2017 RTL , White