Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Idler pulley has wear marks at 300 miles - it's coming off!

891542E5-E054-4221-ADCC-8AC4B1F6F4AB.jpg
    Just checked my idler pulley and noticed these wear marks.
    It’s only been on for about 300 miles. I was concerned about adding this, but I had the newer version with the steel insert and the Lamonster roller upgrade. Had the arm torques to good and tight and the roller was square with the belt. The arm clearance had exactly 1/8”. I inspected the idler pulley after every ride and started to notice the roller was no longer riding even on the belt. The roller edges weren’t riding evenly on the belt, but since the bolts were still tight and 100% of the roller was on the belt, I continued to use the idler pulley.
    Since I installed this idler pulley, I’ve only had short rides, no more than 100 miles at a stretch. But today after my wife and I went for a ride and some shopping I checked the idler pulley when we got home, and there is about 4 wear marks on the roller. I inspected the belt and the belt is fine. Thankfully no damage there!
    Well I now am going to ride without this pulley, as it’s not the best correction to the vibration everyone is talking about. My wife and I avoid highways as much as possible as I’m on them 5 day/week for work. And because of that the vibration will now just be a nuisance when we do have to be on the highway. Since I only notice the vibration between 73-75 mph, I’ll just stay under that threshold. I’ve also been told and read that the vibration does not cause any damage to the drive, it’s just a nuisance. I can live with that and no longer worry if the idler pulley will fail on a longer trip away from home.
    Honestly, I hemmed and hawed on wether I should have installed this from the beginning. I should have went with my better judgment.
    Last edited by pontbrba; 11-18-2021 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Pontbrba
    2020 F3 Limited
    2020 F3L , Magma Red