Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Total Loss of Engine Power at 65 MPH on Busy Freeway, All My Fault! Kill Switch...

We were coming back into Phoenix on Sunday after a fun and relaxing weekend getaway trip up to the mountains and we were in the HOV lane doing about 65; I got a drink, gave my wife a drink, put the water bottle back in the drink holder, and all the sudden we lost all engine power.

I glanced down and the display was on, so we had electrical power. I did not have time to check to see what was wrong, I was in a good deal of traffic and there was no place to pull over on the left side of the freeway, so I had to get over 5 lanes to get off.

I hit my emergency flashers and my wife helped flag the cars behind us to let them know we needed to get over. I was really afraid we would stop on the freeway but luckily, we got to the side where there was room to pull off and stopped.

So now I have time to see what the hell is going on. I see I have no RPM's, until that point, I was not sure if I was losing power or had lost all power. I start thinking of what it could be; we had got gas at a small station earlier, maybe bad gas? No, that would not kill the engine so fast. I then find the problem; I know some of you already know what happened, and know it was all my fault!

Yes, when I put the water bottle back, my hand must have grazed the kill switch! I flipped the switch, and she started right up, and we were on our way. I felt like such an idiot, I've been riding for 53 years, and have not once had that happen before.

So yes, I am an idiot, but that switch is just sitting right out there! Now I want a safety shield around it, so I don't make the same mistake again.

Has this happened to anyone else, and should there be more of a shield around it so you can't just accidently bump it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2024 at 08:28 AM.