Spyder Garage

Default Hard starting 2015 RTL with 5k miles

Only happened once (so far). I always use premium fuel, plug into a Battery Tender if the bike sits for more than 1 week and it's kept in a garage. Had not been started for 10 or so days. Went out to go to work yesterday and turned the trike on, started gearing up while waiting to start it. When I hit the MODE button and then the starter, it started chugging but did not fire. I held the starter for about 10 seconds with no fire. Waited about 30 seconds and tried again but this time I gave the throttle about 1/2 twist and it started to fire and eventually did start, HOWEVER, it ran rough until I got on the road and got about 200 feet from the driveway. It ran fine for the 51 mile trek to work. I work second shift and would be riding home at 1:00 AM. It started fine and was again normal, BUT, has me worried. Any ideas?!?
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Sounds flooded. Not uncommon for the 998 engine. I don't think that I have ever heard of it happening on a 1330. Next time it does not start right away. Hold the throttle wide open and then crank the engine for 5 or 6 seconds. That turns the fuel off and clears the engine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Sounds flooded. Not uncommon for the 998 engine. I don't think that I have ever heard of it happening on a 1330. Next time it does not start right away. Hold the throttle wide open and then crank the engine for 5 or 6 seconds. That turns the fuel off and clears the engine.
    We will give that a try next time. THANKS!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe just a few hot humid days followed by cool nights you got a little moisture in the cylinders? hopefully it wont happen again. Never let the spyder sit for ten days that's not a good habit to get into.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Maybe just a few hot humid days followed by cool nights you got a little moisture in the cylinders? hopefully it wont happen again. Never let the spyder sit for ten days that's not a good habit to get into.
    Yeah well, with as much rain as we've had lately and a 103 mile round trip every day, it's not always easy to get out. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind getting caught in the rain occasionally, HOWEVER, I try not to ride if the chance of rain is 30% or more. Snot fun at 1:00 AM and 50+ miles home in the dark on back country roads. I have a Deer Hornet that I have to get installed yet. I wired it to my fog lights on my Voyager and will prolly do the same on the RTL.