Spyder Garage

Default BRP Connect Configuration for Android Phones

I wanted to share my knowledge with other New Spyder owners on how to setup your Android Phone to work with BRP Connect.
    Note: This information is for the larger Panoramic 7.8" display on the 2019 F3 T and F3 Limited (I believe they are applicable to the Spyder RT-S as well).
    These notes reference page 40 of the owners manual.
    BRP now includes an additional instructions sheet for setting up the BRP Connect app, but, it is still incomplete.
    I am going to add more steps and details that are required to complete the process that are left out of the manual and BRP connection instruction sheet.

NOTE: Both Sygic Cart Navigator and Genius maps require and a "Vehicle Connector" Add-on, which is an additional fee, in order to display the Maps on the Spyder's Righthand display.

Pair your Smartphone via Bluetooth (do not connect the USB cable yet)

On the vehicle:
    1. Short press the JOYSTICK to access menu. (Press the joy stick straight in)
    2. Using the joystick SCROLL down to “Settings” and press RIGHT.
    3. scroll up/down with the JOYSTICK and select “Bluetooth” and press RIGHT.
    4. Select “Phone” and press RIGHT with the JOYSTICK.
    5. Select “Add Phone” and press RIGHT the JOYSTICK.
    Bluetooth is now visible from the Spyder.
    Note I found I had to press up/down or left/right a little harder than expected to complete the desired action.

On your phone:
    1. Download and install BRP Connect from the Goggle Play store.
    2. Download your apps of choice (I will give additional steps on how to complete the configuration for Genius Maps or Sygic Car Navigation that are left out of the manual further down)
    3.[NEW STEPS] Set BRP connect Permissions.
    A. On your phone Open "Settings"
    B. Scroll down and Open "Apps"
    C. Scroll down to the applicable BRP Connect-certified Map App (Genius Maps or Sygic Car Navigation are the two primary).
    D. Click on the Map App. This will open an "App Info" screen
    E. Scroll down to "App Settings"
    F. Click on "Permissions" in the App Settings section.
    G. In the "App Permissions" screen click on the sliders to enable access to all services.

4.Enable your phone's Bluetooth.
    5. You should get a popup showing previous Bluetooth pairings.
    6. If the phone has not started scanning for new connections (at the top of the screen) enable scan.
    7. At bottom of the screen you will see a list of new Bluetooth devices.
    8. Click on "BRP Connect"
    9. It will take a few seconds then you will eventually get a message with a unique paring key.
    10 Click yes.

On the bike:
    You will see an acknowledgment screen.
    I believe you have to press RIGHT on the JOYSTICK then DOWN to acknowledge
    You will know it is completed when you get a "green check mark".
    Back out of this screen (press the JOYSTICK in the center position I believe)

Now connect your Phone to the Spyder's USB Cable.
    It should auto launch BRP Connect on your phone.
    (If not you may not have completed the Bluetooth pairing correctly. Don t ask how I know this)
    You should get a request to allow BRP Connect to sync your "Contacts" and "Favorites".
    If you don't see this message, or you click No and want decide later to enable them; follow the directions for configuring the Map Apps below (except you will change permissions for the BRP Connect app on your phone).

Configuring Map Apps for use in BRP Connect:
    For any map app to work you must have four things:
    1. BRP Connect installed and permissions configured
    2. Bluetooth pairing between your phone and the Spyder properly configured
    3. A BRP Connect-certified map app installed on your phone AND the "Vehicle Connector" add-on installed.
    4. The Map App properly configured in the Android OS to allow Location Services (Details for this step is not provided in the user manual).
    Note: If step four is not completed BRP Connect will give you a cryptic message to disconnect your phone and configure the app to continue when you try to launch one of the Map Apps.

How to configure your Map app in your Android Phones OS for BRP Connect:
    1. If your Android phone is connected to your Spyder's USB cable, disconnect the USB cable.
    This is necessary as the BRP Connect app disables the screen interface of your phone when the cable is connected.
    2.On your phone Open "Settings"
    3. Scroll down and Open "Apps"
    4. Scroll down to the applicable BRP Connect-certified Map App (Genius Maps or Sygic Car Navigation are the two primary).
    5. Click on the Map App. This will open an "App Info" screen
    6. Scroll down to "App Settings"
    7. Click on "Permissions" in the App Settings section.
    8. In the "App Permissions" screen click on the slider to the right of "Location" and "Microphone".
    These should be set at install, but, if you get an error message to configure the app check these two services are enabled.
    This allows the selected map app to use the Location and microphone services on your phone.
    Thats it! Now you can reconnect everything and your Map App should work!

Still not working:
    If follow all of the above steps and the Map still does not work do the following:
    1. Disconnect the phone from the Spyder USB cable
    2. Disable Bluetooth on your phone
    3. Uninstall the Map App
    4. Reinstall the map app
    5. Down load your maps again.
    For Genius Maps also do the following:
    1. Open the Genius Map app on your phone and go to settings.(USB not connected tot he bike)
    2. Click on Restore "My Purchases"

Hopefully this helps any new owners to work through some of the BRP Connect quirks.

I have only had my 2019 F3 Limited for one week so I am continuing to learn how to use the BRP Connect app.
    I will post any additional notes that I identify that are not in the manual.
    (for example the operation of the radio station presets and changing them are a royal pain)

If you have questions please feel free to send me a PM.

Mike
    Last edited by Rd_Runner; 01-01-2020 at 10:22 PM. Reason: additional Updated Information
    2019 F3 Unlimited , Oxford Blue Dark Edition

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much for that info. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thats a lot of reading.

I set up a BRP Connect User Group on Facebook with videos (in the Photos section) on how I do things. Not as descriptive but helpful. It has 166 members so far.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Thats a lot of reading.

I set up a BRP Connect User Group on Facebook with videos (in the Photos section) on how I do things. Not as descriptive but helpful. It has 166 members so far.
    Yeah it is a lot to read. I felt it might be helpful to fill in the gaps for new owners like myself.

I will check out the BRP Connect group on Facebook.

Mike
    2019 F3 Unlimited , Oxford Blue Dark Edition

Spyder Garage

Good work from both of you
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer