Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post
    The saga continues. For anyone interested following this thread I made out of cardboard the sculptures caliper as described in the video Pirate posted here. After taking two sets of measurements and getting inconsistent results I ended up running a ring of masking tape around my head and had my wife mark the hours on the clock on the tape around my head. This helped placement of a caliber to where I was getting more accurate results. Not sure as to the accuracy but it was more consistent and the thing that glared at me was my head is not a perfect oval. I've got a little bulge on my left forhead and a little recession on my right forehead.

Sooooo changing brand of helmet or the size of a helmet isn't going to address the problem of my unevenly shaped head which is probably characteristic of a lot of us. The unevenness was no more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch but pretty sure it cause the headache. Using the back side of an ice cream scoop I mash down on the forehead area on the left side of my helmet but I found that the padding was pretty tough. I did get it mashed just a bit. Then under the right side helmet pads I added a thin sheet of foam. Tried it on and my first blush at the feel of it.... It felt better. Won't get a chance to really test it out until probably Monday of next week but I'll report back how this worked out I have high hopes.
    For anyone interested I went on a 3-hour ride today with the helmet modifications I mentioned above. The first hour I noticed that I was starting to get a little bit of a headache, not bad on the right forehead not the left. The right side is where I stuck a very thin piece a foam under the helmet liner. I mean it was a very thin piece. After about an hour I pulled that foam out and discarded it and the headaches stopped. I rode the next couple of hours with not much of a problem of the helmet giving me a headache.

I'm really astonished that the little bit I pushed in the helmet padding with the back of the ice cream scoop, it was extremely minimal, goes to show that an extremely small adjustment can make all the difference in the world. I may make some additional minor adjustments but for now, I have improved the fit... A lot.

Spyder Garage

I am going to put the Dremel tool to mine soon!! Going to shave it a little and open the air tunnels a little!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

For anyone interested I went on a 3-hour ride today with the helmet modifications I mentioned above. The first hour I noticed that I was starting to get a little bit of a headache, not bad on the right forehead not the left. The right side is where I stuck a very thin piece a foam under the helmet liner. I mean it was a very thin piece. After about an hour I pulled that foam out and discarded it and the headaches stopped. I rode the next couple of hours with not much of a problem of the helmet giving me a headache.

I'm really astonished that the little bit I pushed in the helmet padding with the back of the ice cream scoop, it was extremely minimal, goes to show that an extremely small adjustment can make all the difference in the world. I may make some additional minor adjustments but for now, I have improved the fit... A lot.
    This is why, done correctly on helmets that need very little modification, it can make a world of difference, and, in my opinion, be done safely. Usually the compression needs to be less than 1/8", and only in a small, targeted area of the forehead. Again, not ideal. But it can be done without sacrificing any measurable safety. Getting a helmet a size too large, which is the usual alternative, will give you more exposure to head injury than will a judicious and reasonable mod. like this. Glad it worked for you.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-03-2021 at 05:17 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Not trying to redirect the discussion but I have wondered what looking through multiple layers of polycarbonate (or whatever the shields are made of) might play on vision and thus possible eye strain (headache). If you wear glasses, use the flip down sun shield and then the helmet shield this is three layers of material to look through. The reason I mention this is somewhere in the discussion it was mentioned that this problem gets worse when the helmet is closed.

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Not trying to redirect the discussion but I have wondered what looking through multiple layers of polycarbonate (or whatever the shields are made of) might play on vision and thus possible eye strain (headache). If you wear glasses, use the flip down sun shield and then the helmet shield this is three layers of material to look through. The reason I mention this is somewhere in the discussion it was mentioned that this problem gets worse when the helmet is closed.

Poasttown
    Good question. With a quality shield, there is virtually zero distortion and there should be no negative effects. A cheap shield can give you a great deal of vision related pain. Some more sensitive people will have issue with a bug splotch or deep scratch on a prominent vision point on the shield. So, be aware of that. I don't like goggles because they tend to restrict peripheral vision.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Before buying the HJC I-90 that I ordered online I tried for almost a year to find a place that had helmets that I could try on. Covid disrupted the supplies everywhere I tried had zero inventories and I finally give in and ordered the HJC helmet online. When I got it I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to fit very well I didn't have any trouble taking it on and off I wear glasses and hearing aids they wasn't a problem. However last couple rides I've been noticing a slight headache in the front of my forehead above my eyes. I had discovered that if I left the chin lid open that it didn't really mess with the airflow over the helmet and it seemed to lessen the problem of the slight headache.

Today I went on a longer ride and it lasted for probably about 3 and 1/2 hours. Almost the whole time I had to leave the chin bar on the modular helmet up to avoid the headache being too severe. Towards the end of the ride it was starting to really bother me. I know that many of you will say will the helmet just doesn't fit me but if you can't even try them on and even if you did try them on you really don't see the problem until you've worn a helmet for several hours while riding, filing a correct fit seems almost impossible.

So how can I fix this if I even can. Honestly the helmet feels it's the right fit and I'm at the low in of a extra large so we'll within the specs of the sizing of my head. I really like everything about the helmet except that headache that progressively gets worse above my eyes.
    I also experienced the same thing, same helmet, hearing aides as well. I took a Dremel tool and very carefully took a a little off the front styrofoam where it was pressing on the front of my head. Take very small amounts and try wearing the helmet for a couple of hours. The best option would be to return it if possible. I’m wearing a Bell and that seems to fit my head better.