Spyder Garage

Default What Differences between 2021 and 2022 Sea to Sky?

It seems that the 2022 Sea to Sky is less well equipped than the 2021. My interpretation of the features on Can Am's site tells me that the 2022 model does not have the adjustable risers, floorboard lighting or exclusive luggage (or any luggage for that matter) that the 2021 came with. So for $3000 (Cdn dollars) more than the RTL you get a different paint colour, possibly a more comfortable seat (Can Am touts the RTL seat as premium comfort), different wheels, some silver trim, adjustable wind deflectors and a colour matched panel if you want to remove the top case. Did I miss something on the Can Am site?
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Spyder Garage

The 2021 did not come with the floorboard lighting. They did strip the luggage and add a backrest. And RAISE the price.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Mine doesn’t have adjustable risers.
    2021 Sea to Sky

Mods: Pedal Commander, RLS Black Ceramic Coated Cat Delete, Passenger Armrests, Driver Backrest, FOBO TPMS, Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn, Foam Handgrips

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2022 does have all the mechanical upgrades to fix bugs in the 2021 spyders. The 2021 S2S does not come with the adjustable riser, adjustable deflectors, or lighted floorboards as shown in that BRP promotional video. It was a very misleading video showcasing new accessories available. The luggage is over-rated. The backrest is much more functional. I am not a fan of the new color, but that is personal preference.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    It was a very misleading video showcasing new accessories available. The luggage is over-rated. .
    I still don't understand how the video was misleading. To me it was very plain. But that is what marketing is all about. Love the hard luggage. Nice if you travel a lot. i do agree the backrest is a plus and the green quickly grew on me.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I don't believe anyone said specifically that the lighted floorboards were an extra cost add on. You have to be looking and watching very carefully.

Don't matter, because I was not in the market for S2S anyway.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, I couldn’t justify the extra cost of the S2S Seagull. I had to replace the seat anyway, and I found it less comfortable than the ‘21 RT-L seat. I already had nonBRP luggage, so I didn’t need that. I liked the colour, but red worked for me too, so it wasn’t a consideration. I preferred the blacked look rather than the chrome wheels etc, so I went for the Limited. I DID however, buy the colour coded rear cover for when I ride without the trunk, which is most of the time.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks all. That gives me all the info I need to go with the RTL
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Spyder Garage

The sea to sky seat is more comfortable than the stock RTL seat as well as the BRP comfort seat. I have both and my wife's STS seat is more comfortable. I switched them for a 1600 mile ride and both my wife and I noticed the difference.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I DID however, buy the colour coded rear cover for when I ride without the trunk, which is most of the time.

Pete

~~~Hey Pete! What’s the attraction to ride w/o the rear trunk? Is it strictly a cosmetic issue? I can’t imagine the rear trunk affecting the ride in anyway, as far as negatively affecting the ride, like getting in the way, constricting movement, or am i missing something?!? I ask as when I bought my 2021 RT Limited, I haven’t ever removed the rear trunk. That said with just under 2 K smiles and 8 months ownership, I haven’t ridden it a lot either. Not that anyone asked but normally I keep a Joe Rocket full mesh jacket (unlined) in the rear top case along with the helmet I typically use when riding. Speaking strictly for myself, I find having the rear trunk extremely handy if for nothing more than to toss a few things in it when going on a shopping trip, say to the grocery. What with all the other luggage capability this model affords, I rarely ever fill all compartments, yet I can’t bring myself to remove the rear top case

I realize were all individuals with different expectations yet to this day, I can’t find a good reason to remove my rear top case. Just the same I’d like to hear why you remove yours, if you feel like sharing. Anyone else that removes the top case , feel free to chime in. I love diversity of opinion

Best,

Jake
    Reddick, Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I purchased a matching top cover in the for-sale section here at a great price. Mainly just for a different look every once in a while.
    It doesn't benefit anything, but it only takes a couple of minutes to change.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~Hey Pete! What’s the attraction to ride w/o the rear trunk? Is it strictly a cosmetic issue? I can’t imagine the rear trunk affecting the ride in anyway, as far as negatively affecting the ride, like getting in the way, constricting movement, or am i missing something?!? I ask as when I bought my 2021 RT Limited, I haven’t ever removed the rear trunk. That said with just under 2 K smiles and 8 months ownership, I haven’t ridden it a lot either. Not that anyone asked but normally I keep a Joe Rocket full mesh jacket (unlined) in the rear top case along with the helmet I typically use when riding. Speaking strictly for myself, I find having the rear trunk extremely handy if for nothing more than to toss a few things in it when going on a shopping trip, say to the grocery. What with all the other luggage capability this model affords, I rarely ever fill all compartments, yet I can’t bring myself to remove the rear top case

I realize were all individuals with different expectations yet to this day, I can’t find a good reason to remove my rear top case. Just the same I’d like to hear why you remove yours, if you feel like sharing. Anyone else that removes the top case , feel free to chime in. I love diversity of opinion

Best,

Jake
    Reddick, Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    I think the "no trunk" look is a throwback of the HD Road King. Everything but a trunk. I had two assorted like that (not Spyders) and liked them. Our last go around, I was thinking the F3T model, but with the rebates that were offered at the time, we got the F3L's. Our thoughts, the trunk came for free. I like the looks, but have yet to remove the trunks for a ride. One even has the "quicklink" removal system now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind like me if you do not like the color of the S2S you can can build it on a limited for cheaper. For me I got the red with black out package so the S2S would have been $2500 usd more. I bought the rear panel, Painted my mirrors and top case cover, and got the back rest. I will be getting the comfort seat as well at some point. With the seat it will be $1890 including paint. I don't have the badging or luggage but still have some change left over for luggage if I need some.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

You got it in one, Jake…..strictly cosmetic. I did the same to my Victory Vision. I don’t go shopping on the RT, my helmet fits in a side case and my jacket in the frunk when I’m off the RT.
    However, if I’m heading out on a long day, or multi day trip, or the Chosen One wants to come for a ride with me….very rare…..the trunk goes back on. If the RT came with a fixed trunk, I would have no issues with that. Just a personal thing….I prefer the trunk less look, but it certainly isn’t a dealbreaker if it is on.
    One other consideration….at 6’7” and with bad knees, I prefer to swing my leg over in a big arc. The trunk prohibits that, unless I swing in such a high arc that I bring down powerlines….shocking experience

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 03-28-2022 at 03:07 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    You got it in one, Jake…..strictly cosmetic. I did the same to my Victory Vision. I don’t go shopping on the RT, my helmet fits in a side case and my jacket in the frunk when I’m off the RT.
    However, if I’m heading out on a long day, or multi day trip, or the Chosen One wants to come for a ride with me….very rare…..the trunk goes back on. If the RT came with a fixed trunk, I would have no issues with that. Just a personal thing….I prefer the trunk less look, but it certainly isn’t a dealbreaker if it is on.
    One other consideration….at 6’7” and with bad knees, I prefer to swing my leg over in a big arc. The trunk prohibits that, unless I swing in such a high arc that I bring down powerlines….shocking experience

Pete
    The ability to remove the trunk is probably one of the better enticements to trade up my '19 RTL. As someone else mentioned, one of the things I liked best about my RoadKing was being able to swing my leg over the back rather that have to "hop over" the seat or slide across it. Similar on my Sturgis.

The price difference... well, that's a whole other story.

Cheers,
    Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    Keep in mind like me if you do not like the color of the S2S you can can build it on a limited for cheaper. For me I got the red with black out package so the S2S would have been $2500 usd more. I bought the rear panel, Painted my mirrors and top case cover, and got the back rest. I will be getting the comfort seat as well at some point. With the seat it will be $1890 including paint. I don't have the badging or luggage but still have some change left over for luggage if I need some.
    Clever, Schreck The black mirrors and trunk lid don’t bother me as, like you, I have the blacked out version anyway, and I believe aftermarket luggage is a better option (especially with wheels taking up room in the BRP frunk bag). Your RT with the red mirror covers and trunk lid looks great

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.