Spyder Garage

Default Is it worth fitting SpyderExtras Billet Aluminum Belt Tensioner/Idler?

Went through SlingMods this morning, since it's Memorial Day and the wife told me to pick something out for myself... I went through and picked up a few goodies (Neutrino Aurora Plus will be back the first week of June!), and also made a short list of things that look interesting. I just wanted to get the forum's take on these - pro/con/meh

I've read that belt tensioners/idler are a must for spyders. Not sure how they work. I've had tools that help tension a belt/chain on a two-wheeler, but I'm not sure how this is working in real time. But - are they worth it? Are there known issues with them? Is one brand better than another? I appreciate the valuable input!
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You're going to get a mixed review on this one, some like them and think they can't live without it, some, like me think just lowering the belt tension works good enough and it will not wear out and blow your belt! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Agree with Mikey, on this one, If you don't feel any vibrations at whatever speed, there's no need for an belt adjuster, if you experiance vibrations, try and set the belt to a lower tension, there are lot's of video's bout this particular subject.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You're going to get a mixed review on this one, some like them and think they can't live without it, some, like me think just lowering the belt tension works good enough and it will not wear out and blow your belt! Good luck!!
    on both things ..... and there are more than just a few folks who have discovered what a FAILED belt Damper can do. To me the Spyder is a Motorcyle and shouldn't be expected to be PERFECT. .... Yes there are things you do fairly in-expensively to improve it, but I don't own a Damper and never will ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses Mikey. Pirate, and Mike... I have read a few stories about a failed tensioner. Not pretty. Part of why I asked this question before throwing down the ~$200USD for one. It would be interesting to know if anyone on the forum used one and then removed it. I've not felt any vibrations on mine, so I'm not willing to jinx my ride by looking for a solution for which there is no problem. Thanks, all!!

Spyder Garage

Having a 2019 F3S, my machine came with a tensioner. I currently have the SpyderExtras tensioner installed. It is a very stout piece and very nice quality. The roller isn't as beefy as the Lamonster roller (used that on my OEM tensioner), but the SpyderExtras roller is a nice upgrade over the OEM. Just some FYI ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Having a 2019 F3S, my machine came with a tensioner. I currently have the SpyderExtras tensioner installed. It is a very stout piece and very nice quality. The roller isn't as beefy as the Lamonster roller (used that on my OEM tensioner), but the SpyderExtras roller is a nice upgrade over the OEM. Just some FYI ...
    Thanks, Troop! Does the tensioner prevent problems or is it designed to correct a problem? I'm not entirely sure from the description of the products. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

IMO, a tensioner has one more spinning part that can fail. While my Spyder is older than yours and a different model, the principle and failure risk remains the same. I've not sensed vibration in 78K+ miles so I've never considered one. FWIW, the Spyder tech at the dealership who has mounted three General Altimax rear tires always checks the belt tension with a Gates electronic meter.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Waste of money.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I've never noticed any kind of belt vibration on my F3S, but then again, my machine came equipped with one OEM. For that reason, I will not remove it. That said, I also went aftermarket, as they are quite a bit more stout than what comes on the machine.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

It simply applies pressure to the top side of the belt and kills harmonics that tend to only effect certain machines. Get out on the interstate and do a slow acceleration from about 50 MPH up to 90. If at no point do you feel a very jarring vibration working up from the bottom of the bike you simply don't have a problem and have no need. If you do, start adjusting the belt tension, with luck your problem will be solved. If like mine it just moves the speed window for the vibration starting and ending points and it never goes away, the device works. I use the one from Lamonster. In 40,000 miles + I have replaced the roller and bearings once, more for peace of mind than actual need. I do make a habit of reaching under the bike every coupe thousand miles and lifting the roller to check the bearing and roller face.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    IMO, a tensioner has one more spinning part that can fail. While my Spyder is older than yours and a different model, the principle and failure risk remains the same. I've not sensed vibration in 78K+ miles so I've never considered one. FWIW, the Spyder tech at the dealership who has mounted three General Altimax rear tires always checks the belt tension with a Gates electronic meter.
    If your belt tension is set at a BRP dealer shop, I can guarantee it's probably double what mine is set at ( and I have no vibes )..... just sayin ..... Mike