Thread: Ikon rear shock

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Ikon rear shock

For the past couple of months I've been experimenting with an Ikon rear shock absorber on my 2008 SE.

I felt that the standard rear shock was too soft, and it certainly spent a lot of time on the bumper when I carried a pillion. I'm not a heavyweight rider, 70kg wringing wet, but I had settled with the rear shock on the 6th notch for solo use.

After looking at a couple of alternatives (Elka, Penske, Kewlmetal), I spoke to Ikon who said that they were developing a rear shock for the Spyder. The price was better than any import, and being an Australian company, I wanted to support them.

The first attempt certainly addressed the softness of the rear. I had it set up for me and my pillion and still had plenty of travel, but it was way too hard for solo riding.

The second spring fixed that nicely. On low preload it is soft enough for me alone, and on maximum it carries me an my pillion with sufficient travel.

Adjustment is by screw thread using a peg type tool at the top of the shock. Much better than the standard setup requiring a 3/8 square drive from below (but still tedious, and still needs to have the weight off the rear wheel).

The shock also has 4 levels of damping, selectable in the Ikon way by rotating a knob at the top of the shock.

Over all, I'd say they have a winner. If you are looking for a replacement rear shock, an Ikon might be what you are looking for.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

Pogo,

Is the Ikon readily available in the good ole U S of A ?

Tripod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
    Pogo,

Is the Ikon readily available in the good ole U S of A ?

Tripod
    I believe so Tripod, but to be certain, I'll ask and get back to you.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    I believe so Tripod, but to be certain, I'll ask and get back to you.

Cheers;

Pogo.
    Yes they are available in the U.S.A. You may not be aware that IKON is a continuation of the previously known KONI shocks. The business was bought by an Ausie company that previously made said KONI shocks. The last prices I was quoted was Aus$800 a pair for front, and Aus$950for the rear, plus shipping. Both adjustable and rebuild able
    Bob

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What were the Part numbers and the spring weights you ended up with?

Spyder Garage

Smile Spring rate

Quote Originally Posted by DannyS View Post
    What were the Part numbers and the spring weights you ended up with?
    I've just heard back from Ikon. The model number is 3610-1014. I finished up with a 90 - 155 kN/m spring, but there are others that fit and might suit you better.

This spring suited me because, while I'm a lightweight at 70kg, my pillion weighs over 100kg. That's a fairly wide range of preload. Ikon were good at working with me to get the most suitable spring rate.

Good luck. I hope that you can find something that works for you.

Cheers;

Pogo.