Spyder Garage

Default What is a Stock Foot Peg's Weight Limit?

Bet I caught all your attention with THAT title! So, as you may know, the Spyder is the only way I can ride anymore since a stroke. I just don’t trust myself on two wheels anymore. So when I get on the Spyder, I have two options. Either I stand on the ground with my hands on the grips and kick my right leg up and over the seat (but my foot tends to want to drag across the seat), or, I discovered that if I place my left foot on the left footpeg while hanging on to the grips, I can stand on it while I swing my right leg over and it’s very easy! But the metal of the pegs and where they’re mounted looks like cast aluminum. I’m questioning whether 270 pounds on one peg is risking the breaking of that peg?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2023 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I only remember seeing one post of a side foot board or peg breaking and I think that one may have been from being hit from a rough road bump and may have been defective to begin with. I have an RTL that had pegs and I always stand on them all my weight on one (220 lbs. now a little less), never had an issue. Of course, its not 270lb. I changed to floor boards and still put all my weight on one when I get on the bike, I some time use the passengers floorboard with my left foot and swing my right foot over to the riders right floorboard.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

The foot peg should hold your weight. Have read of riders over 300 pounds using them to mount and stand on.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-14-2023 at 09:18 PM. Reason: mold yor - hold your ;-)
    2015 F3S SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
    The foot peg should hold your weight. Have read of riders over 300 pounds using them to mount and stand on.
    .... At an absolute minimum the Spyder footpegs were designed to withstand is the max weight limit for that Spyder ( which I think is 410 lbs. ).... Unless you have the pegs " magnafluxed " you will not know if they are defective or not. But as CopperSpyder said above it is less than Rare for this to happen .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-15-2023 at 12:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

I'm 130Kg/286lbs and I stand on my left floorboard to swing my leg over and get on my Spyder. Doesn't seem to complain or protest when I do it.
    2015 Spyder RT Special series Se6
    Really a mutant cross between a special series and a Limited.

Spyder Garage

I weigh with in 10 lbs.of you and I mount by by stepping on the left peg and swinging my right leg over and the peg has held up fine for 8 years.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze