Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

So……here it is, straight from the horses mouth……so to speak.

I got on to the Ikon owner this morning. They are not back from holidays until 29 Jan, but he took my call, which doesn’t surprise me. The below details why the US agent is saying they don’t make a shock for the ‘20+ RT (he is “sort of” correct), while I have one on my ‘21RT.

The Ikon rear shock for the ‘20+ RT has effectively fallen between the stools. I was their test bunny for the ‘20+ RT rear shock as my new RT arrived with a faulty rear shock that sounded like a herd of donkeys heading down the street. How apt for Peteoz, I hear you say

The faulty stock shock could not be quickly replaced due to Covid restrictions. The Ikon fitted and works a treat. The issue was that both the owner and the R&D head were overseas when that happened, and were not made aware on their return. As such, a clarification that the rear ‘14+ shock fits the ‘20+ was never documented and the fitment list was not updated. As a result, there may have been some Aussie enquiries who were told the same as US enquiries - “they are not available”.

He was most apologetic that it had fallen between the stools (but we need to keep in mind that CanAm sales are a minimal part of Ikon’s revenue). I am going to give him a call after 29th (he is a fair way from the office at the moment), and R&D will verify specs etc from my shock and add it to the list of availability for the ‘20+ RT, providing everything stacks up as far as US and Aus RT measurements are concerned……and there is no reason to think they would differ.

Hope this helps. I’ll keep you posted after 29th.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 01-07-2024 at 08:20 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    So……here it is, straight from the horses mouth……so to speak.

I got on to the Ikon owner this morning. They are not back from holidays until 29 Jan, but he took my call, which doesn’t surprise me. The below details why the US agent is saying they don’t make a shock for the ‘20+ RT (he is “sort of” correct), while I have one on my ‘21RT.

The Ikon rear shock for the ‘20+ RT has effectively fallen between the stools. I was their test bunny for the ‘20+ RT rear shock as my new RT arrived with a faulty rear shock that sounded like a herd of donkeys heading down the street. How apt for Peteoz, I hear you say

The faulty stock shock could not be quickly replaced due to Covid restrictions. The Ikon fitted and works a treat. The issue was that both the owner and the R&D head were overseas when that happened, and were not made aware on their return. As such, a clarification that the rear ‘14+ shock fits the ‘20+ was never documented and the fitment list was not updated. As a result, there may have been some Aussie enquiries who were told the same as US enquiries - “they are not available”.

He was most apologetic that it had fallen between the stools (but we need to keep in mind that CanAm sales are a minimal part of Ikon’s revenue). I am going to give him a call after 29th (he is a fair way from the office at the moment), and R&D will verify specs etc from my shock and add it to the list of availability for the ‘20+ RT, providing everything stacks up as far as US and Aus RT measurements are concerned……and there is no reason to think they would differ.

Hope this helps. I’ll keep you posted after 29th.

Pete
    Thanks Pete...that's encouraging!
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case