Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
Is that a commercial unit or a homebuilt?
This has been a planned upgrade to our RT622 trailer for a while now. I did spend some time mocking up things, but have yet to build it.
Decided that for ours to prevent loosening or wear issues of the drilled holes for mounting plates and especially the pivot things would be done slightly different. Mounting plates will be welded and pivot will be done with either a bushing and sleeve, or more likely pivot on ball bearings.

In my years of rebuilding high performance suspension units, I have a decent stash of mtb shocks. Was considering using the shock in a similar way and location, just had a difficult time accepting how it looked and interferes with stepping over the trailer tongue and accessing the rear trunk on the RTS.

The other concern could be, if the shock were moved aft, and located into the drop portion of the tongue, there becomes a clearance issue for the RT622 front lid.

All that said, I am fairly confident when modified, our RT622 trailers tongue will use a low profile design to mount the shock, and more than likely will be an entire new tongue drawbar. Good chance also I may not use a shock, but keep it simpler with easy to replace low cost, elastomers. As reliable as a quality mtb shock is, a failed seal and loosing all damping would make for a very springy trailer setup.

Just thoughts, there kind of is no true wrong or right answer for this.