Spyder Garage

Spyder Hey Ya'll We Got A New Member! Lets welcome librarian to SL

Welcome librarian, post up a hello, introduce yourself & get that 1st post notch on your Spyder!

Thanks for joining our forum community librarian, from the staff at Can-Am Spyder & Ryker Three Wheel Motorcycles.

Here's some helpful links to start you along your journey here @SL:
    Forum Rules and Guidelines
    Do's & Don'ts for new Spyder Owners
    Check out & add your Spyder to the Garage
    Check the Visited Maps page & add your traveled Map to your signature

Do NOT post support questions here, please post them in the appropriate forum once your account is approved.

Spyder Garage

Default Thinking about a Can Am

Hello all. I decided to join this forum after reading the do's and don'ts sticky and also because in reading another post about whether to get a Ryker or a Spyder which was posted by a Ryker owner who is the same age as me (75). In reading that thread, I discovered that there are plenty of folks on this forum my age or older. That makes me feel good about considering a Can Am. I've been riding since I was 17 and sold my last two wheeler, Harley Ultra Classic, in 2018. It was becoming a little cumbersome to ride. Since then, I've considered lighter 2 wheelers, but I think I would be better off with a trike. I've been looking around and I'm pretty sure a reverse trike is the best choice for me. I haven't ridden a Can Am yet, but I've looked at them and sat on them. I have recently found at a local dealership (all former students of mine) a 2020 Ryker Rally with 300 (yes 300) miles on it for 8500.00 and a 2020 Spyder (can't exactly recall the model) with side trunks but no top trunk for 17K. I think it has about 5900 miles on it. I've also looked on marketplace. I haven't made up my mind yet. I don't expect to do a great deal of touring but might do some. My biggest concern is that I'm not sure the Ryker will carry my weight as well as my lady friend's weight. I'm about 260 pounds and my lady is about 230. It would be quite load for the Ryker and the passenger seat would leave much to be desired for her also. But the difference in price is a lot. I have seen some of the older 998 cc bikes for less, but I'm not sure I should buy something from vintage mainly because I might not be able to get parts for it. I'm not familiar with Can Am's policy on older equipment.

So, I'm looking for advice. Would weight be an issue on the Ryker? I know that bike only weighs about 550 pounds whereas the spyder comes in at around 850 or so. Both are lighter than my Ultra which weighed a little over 900 pounds. Would a 998 cc spyder, if it's in good shape, be a viable choice? I think I should ask the dealer what his policy is on servicing older spyders. Whatever advice you all can give will be much appreciated.

The salesman at the dealership I visited told me there are Can Am demo days coming up the end of May. I had hoped not to have to wait that long for a test ride. Maybe I'll look at some machines ofered on Marketplace and get a test right on one of those. In the meantime, I hope to learn more.

Don Williams a.k.a. librarian

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum, Don!

And while that's a great post up there, not too many people ever come in here, so I doubt you'll get a heap of responses.

That's why SpyderBOT says:

Do NOT post support questions here, please post them in the appropriate forum once your account is approved.
    in the last line of his post immediately above yours.

It shouldn't take too long for all your joining processing to be finalised, it rarely takes more than a day, and you'll know that it's done when your username turns Blue, like SpyderBOT's.

So with any luck, I'll see you very soon, out there posting up on the more frequented pages of the Forum, where you are more likely to get a whole bunch of people answering!

And again, Welcome!

Ps: Altho I'm waaay over here in Oz, I'm still riding my V-twin powered 2013 RT Ltd, and I've yet to see any Spyder with a 1330 motor that'd convince me to give up the revvier, peppier, and far more exciting to ride V-Twin powered Spyder!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2024 at 04:27 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!