Spyder Garage

Default Turn signal button takes a hard push and Hold! Any suggestions?

We are excited to have upgraded from our 2011 RTL to a 2020 RTL last fall. We love the new bike but are having problems with the turn button. Turning to the right is OK but it takes a REALLY hard push and hold to the left and may or may not finally engage. A safety issue for sure! We've heard the signal switch has been a problem with 2020's-2022's, but BRP has fixed the problem with the most recent years. Our dealer said they could order a replacement part for $450 but it may still have the same/similar problem because it would be the same part from the same years. Can Am's B.E.S.T. warranty doesn't cover it! Bummer! Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Arachnerds; 05-10-2024 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2020 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnerds View Post
    We are excited to have upgraded from our 2011 RTL to a 2020 RTL last fall. We love the new bike but are having problems with the turn button. Turning to the right is OK but it takes a REALLY hard push and hold to the left and may or may not finally engage. A safety issue for sure! We've heard the signal switch has been a problem with 2020's-2022's, but BRP has fixed the problem with the most recent years. Our dealer said they could order a replacement part for $450 but it may still have the same/similar problem because it would be the same part from the same years. Can Am's B.E.S.T. warranty doesn't cover it! Bumolmer! Any suggestions?
    The "cancel" feature (ie. OFF) has been an issue from the beginning. You can try some dry silicone spray into the switch to see if it helps .... Your dealer suggesting a "$450.00 fix that MAY OR MAY NOT actually work is a RED flag to me. Good Luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2024 at 05:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Can't imagine BEST warranty not covering a defective turn signal switch. Time to contact BRP.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnerds View Post
    We are excited to have upgraded from our 2011 RTL to a 2020 RTL last fall. We love the new bike but are having problems with the turn button. Turning to the right is OK but it takes a REALLY hard push and hold to the left and may or may not finally engage. A safety issue for sure! We've heard the signal switch has been a problem with 2020's-2022's, but BRP has fixed the problem with the most recent years. Our dealer said they could order a replacement part for $450 but it may still have the same/similar problem because it would be the same part from the same years. Can Am's B.E.S.T. warranty doesn't cover it! Bumolmer! Any suggestions?
    Hi Nerds. So, to make sure I understand correctly, you are trying to turn on the Left Turn Signal. The switch itself slides over to the left just fine. But, when it is all the way over, you still have to keep pushing very hard for awhile before the turn signal actually comes on? Has it been this way since you got it?

If true, a couple of things then. My memory and my Google doesn't indicate any pandemic going on with the 2020 - 2022 signal switches. Don't know what you "heard". Check for yourself. There was a warranty campaign in the past regarding the SHIFTING function that required the left hand switch replacement. Not sure why your dealer would essentially say, "what difference does it make, you get the same parts over again." Red flag.

It makes me wonder if he REALLY got a pre-determination from BEST, or he's just talking out his.... Doesn't make sense. Maybe get a second opinion someplace else. As mentioned, contact BRP Care.

PS. One final nerdy thought. The Steering Angle Sensor provides the self cancelling function to the turn signals after you finish making a turn. Does the problem still occur if the handlebars are turned to the right or to the left. A dealer can hook up the machine to BUDS2 and make sure the sensor is zero'd. Great color, BTW. You might want to change your signature.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-10-2024 at 08:37 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The "cancel" feature (ie. OFF) has been an issue from the beginning. You can try some dry silicone spray into the switch to see if it helps .... Your dealer suggesting a "$450.00 fix that MAY OR MAY NOT actually work is a RED flag to me. Good Luck .... Mike
    I acquired a replacement turn signal cap that is more square through someone here on the board, and it fixed my cancel problem completely. Easily the biggest bang for the buck improvement I've made to mine.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ht=turn+signal
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2024 at 10:38 AM.
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Slingmods USB and QuadLock phone mount with vibration dampener
    Highway pegs
    Rear GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45 SL 225/60R-15 tire
    Drink2Go front/rear Cupholders
    3D printed Turn Signal/Shifter caps
    KOTT Grill covers
    LED Headlights + LED Foglights
    High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    Pedal Box+ w/BT
    Show Chrome gas shock for rear trunk
    Foam Grips
    Red Rim Covers
    VIOFO T1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    I acquired a replacement turn signal cap that is more square through someone here on the board, and it fixed my cancel problem completely. Easily the biggest bang for the buck improvement I've made to mine.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ht=turn+signal

A big +1

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks. Turning the switch "on" when making a left hand turn is the issue. It has no trouble turning off after making the turn. I do like the thought of the dry silicone spray. Who knows? It just may be a bit "sticky" and needing some lube.
    2020 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Can't imagine BEST warranty not covering a defective turn signal switch. Time to contact BRP.
    That's what I thought too! Unfortunately in reading the details of the warranty, it does not cover those sorts of things. Bummer!
    2020 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hi Nerds. So, to make sure I understand correctly, you are trying to turn on the Left Turn Signal. The switch itself slides over to the left just fine. But, when it is all the way over, you still have to keep pushing very hard for awhile before the turn signal actually comes on? Has it been this way since you got it?

If true, a couple of things then. My memory and my Google doesn't indicate any pandemic going on with the 2020 - 2022 signal switches. Don't know what you "heard". Check for yourself. There was a warranty campaign in the past regarding the SHIFTING function that required the left hand switch replacement. Not sure why your dealer would essentially say, "what difference does it make, you get the same parts over again." Red flag.

It makes me wonder if he REALLY got a pre-determination from BEST, or he's just talking out his.... Doesn't make sense. Maybe get a second opinion someplace else. As mentioned, contact BRP Care.

PS. One final nerdy thought. The Steering Angle Sensor provides the self cancelling function to the turn signals after you finish making a turn. Does the problem still occur if the handlebars are turned to the right or to the left. A dealer can hook up the machine to BUDS2 and make sure the sensor is zero'd. Great color, BTW. You might want to change your signature.
    We do have similar taste in bike color, right?! Thanks for the heads up on the signature!

Yes, you are right. It just doesn't want to activate the signal unless we push to the left REALLY hard and hold it there for a bit. Sometimes that doesn't even make it come on.

The parts guy and I read the details of the BEST and unfortunately the parts of the "cuff" are not included. Not unlike a lot of auto extended warranties, the warranty really only covers the big stuff like engine, transmission, etc.. Thankfully the dealership wasn't going to charge for the replacement if it too has problems....treatment which I would expect from them. They have been very honest with us in the past, unlike some dealerships I've read about. He's just been disappointed with replacements from a time frame that has had this problem. He said the newer bikes have a completely different mechanism, so clearly there was a reason for that change! Even their mechanics told me directly that ours is not the first they've seen with this problem, unfortunately.

Your reminder to check with other dealers was our next step. We have opportunity during a couple of trips this summer, to check in with dealers we've had connection with in the past. Looking forward to hearing what they say about this issue.
    2020 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's the thing I'll disagree with about what your dealer told you. The Left Hand Multi-function Switch was re-designed with a new one for Model Year 2022. The new part number is applicable for the 2020 and 2021 RT, also. Your old part number has been superseded. So, you will NOT get a switch with the same old mechanism like he thinks, you get the same new switch that the newer machines got. (Except for 2024, of course)

Your old part# - 710006859
    Your new part# - 710008090 (same as mine)
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-10-2024 at 03:22 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Here's the thing I'll disagree with about what your dealer told you. The Left Hand Multi-function Switch was re-designed with a new one for Model Year 2022. The new part number is applicable for the 2020 and 2021 RT, also. Your old part number has been superseded. So, you will NOT get a switch with the same old mechanism like he thinks, you get the same new switch that the newer machines got. (Except for 2024, of course)

Your old part# - 710006859
    Your new part# - 710008090 (same as mine)
    Cool!!! Thanks!!
    2020 Spyder RT Limited