Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT not up-shifting correctly & downshifting at higher revs - any ideas? Fixes?

I have a Spyder RT that just started shifting issues. Goes into 1st and reverse normally but does not up shift correctly, sometimes it takes over 4000 rpm to shift into second and 3rd (never tried 4th and 5th yet). Riding at around 4000 in 2nd and 3rd it some times downshifts with out touching the paddle shifter. I am thinking the paddle shifter but it goes into 1st and reverse fine. The downshift at higher rpm’s without touching the shifter seems more like a computer problem.
    Any ideas?

Any one with a bad paddle shifter had the bike downshifting by it’s self?

I do have buds what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance for ideas and/or help.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ByronM View Post
    I have a Spyder RT that just started shifting issues. Goes into 1st and reverse normally but does not up shift correctly, sometimes it takes over 4000 rpm to shift into second and 3rd (never tried 4th and 5th yet). Riding at around 4000 in 2nd and 3rd it some times downshifts with out touching the paddle shifter. I am thinking the paddle shifter but it goes into 1st and reverse fine. The downshift at higher rpm’s without touching the shifter seems more like a computer problem.
    Any ideas?

Any one with a bad paddle shifter had the bike downshifting by it’s self?

I do have buds what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance for ideas and/or help.
    How many miles do have on this Spyder ???? ... Prior to this post for how long have you had this issue ???? .... I had Paddle shifting issue on my 2011 RSS, that the Local techs couldn't re-create. But the BRP techs did find 241 prior issue in the computer ..... IMHO the paddle shifter is quite sensitive, barely touching mine could cause an inadvertent shift. .... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    How many miles do have on this Spyder ???? ... Prior to this post for how long have you had this issue ???? .... I had Paddle shifting issue on my 2011 RSS, that the Local techs couldn't re-create. But the BRP techs did find 241 prior issue in the computer ..... IMHO the paddle shifter is quite sensitive, barely touching mine could cause an inadvertent shift. .... good luck ....Mike
    Giver or take 30000 mi. Never had shifting issues before, keep my hand away from the paddles but downshifted by itself at over 4000rpm several times

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Byron. Checked oil level lately? Typical issue when having up shifting issues. The switch only has an up shift and a downshift contact. First and reverse are working. Sounds ok. But find the correct page in BUDS and do the switch test. Downshifting by itself? Well, after about 10 years, the return spring on mine got pretty limp. Easy to just touch and cause a downshift. You don’t typically notice it with gloves on. It’s been awhile since I looked at it, but I think BUDS can run it through the gears while standing still, and running. Again, just find the right page. Try Activations Tab, TCM Module. But start with oil level.

PS. IIRC, you had GBPS issues last summer. Are the green lights still on for each gear?
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-05-2024 at 03:48 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hey Byron. Checked oil level lately? Typical issue when having up shifting issues. The switch only has an up shift and a downshift contact. First and reverse are working. Sounds ok. But find the correct page in BUDS and do the switch test. Downshifting by itself? Well, after about 10 years, the return spring on mine got pretty limp. Easy to just touch and cause a downshift. You don’t typically notice it with gloves on. It’s been awhile since I looked at it, but I think BUDS can run it through the gears while standing still, and running. Again, just find the right page. Try Activations Tab, TCM Module. But start with oil level.

PS. IIRC, you had GBPS issues last summer. Are the green lights still on for each gear?
    Thanks, oil good, just started do it today, did not trust it to drive it too far, not wanting it to go to neutral too far from home.

I looked at the paddle shifter on the handlebar and the up-shift button seems different, as in weaker; so maybe it is the shifter springs as you said.

I guess I will have to hook it up to BUDs (which I am not well versed in using) and poke around and see what tests there are.

Did you fix yours or replace the control?

I did solve my issue from last year stumbling though BUDs, my gear indicators are now working.

Thanks for your ideas.

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2024 at 11:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Byron,

You may find this thread helpful. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...07#post1573307
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Byron, I didn't fix it. It would work well enough to return the paddles to neutral. But, it was very easy to accidentally downshift if I put my hand in the wrong place. Start up BUDS on you computer without plugging in the MPI. It will prompt you if you want to open a file. The default file folder is the Demo Files. But, navigate up one level, and go to the Autosave folder. You have a saved file of your machine from each BUDS session. Open one of those and then just poke around on all of the screens and see what's there. You can't hurt anything that way. All of these BUDS tests are laid out in the repair manual.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JSRT View Post
    Byron,

You may find this thread helpful. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...07#post1573307
    Thanks, Buds was no help or I don’t know the software well enough but I ended up taking the paddle shifter apart and found a collapsed spring on the up shift side. Ordered springs from Amazon and will report back after putting in the new springs

Spyder Garage

Thanks all, bike shifts fine now, replaced the springs on the paddle shifter mechanism all good now. Also want the thank Lou Gutowski from Facebook for a great video of R+R the mechanism.