Spyder Garage

Default Helibars: Are they really Worth $629?

When I owned a Goldwing I knew several other owners who had spent the bucks to install Helibars on their bikes, and not a one of them ever said that they regretted doing so. When I bought my 2021 RT new I found that I was having to lean a bit more forward to reach the bars than was comfortable, so I bought the much less expensive Rivco risers and that seemed to do the trick. But the Helibars offer the option of easily adjusting their position. I'm just not sure that there would be enough of a difference to justify the high cost. I'm hoping some here have gone that route and can comment on whether or not they think it was worth the cost.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-07-2023 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a lot of riders are putting the f3 bars on i know one that has f3 bars and the riser.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2023 at 08:28 PM. Reason: alot - a lot ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I tried the risers solution which helped relieve shoulder/wrist soreness for awhile but not all day. I switched to helibars and now I get no soreness even after 8 hours in he saddle and multi-day trips.

So, yes, the helibars are worth it for me.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I tried the risers solution which helped relieve shoulder/wrist soreness for awhile but not all day. I switched to helibars and now I get no soreness even after 8 hours in he saddle and multi-day trips.

So, yes, the helibars are worth it for me.
    Were they difficult to install?
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    When I owned a Goldwing I knew several other owners who had spent the bucks to install Helibars on their bikes, and not a one of them ever said that they regretted doing so. When I bought my 2021 RT new I found that I was having to lean a bit more forward to reach the bars than was comfortable, so I bought the much less expensive Rivco risers and that seemed to do the trick. But the Helibars offer the option of easily adjusting their position. I'm just not sure that there would be enough of a difference to justify the high cost. I'm hoping some here have gone that route and can comment on whether or not they think it was worth the cost.
    Only my OPINION, I have had Hili bars on 2 of my motorcycles and and on my 2008 GS YES they are costly and worth every cent...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Keep in mind there are several variables in getting handlebar grips into the best position you want or need. Height, vertical angle, distance from seat to bar, and horizontal angle. I believe I'm correct in saying that every option other than Heli bars allows you to make a change in all those variables except horizontal angle. But once you've set the variables they cannot be readily changed "on the fly". The horizontal angle of the grips determines your wrist angle.

I find it nice to make a change every once in awhile with the Tri-Axis bar I have on my RT. However, there is no adjustment with it for wrist angle, which changes as I move the bars forward and back. That can be a problem on long trips. And the Tri-Axis bar won't fit the 2020+ RTs. If you need to make a change while on a trip to any of the variables then the Heli bar is the best choice. If you don't need to make a change "on the fly" and the current fixed bars are OK from a wrist angle aspect, and all the other variables aspect, then don't bother.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

They were certainly worth it to me. Installed on my 2021 RTL.
    Easy install.
    Only thing you have to be aware of is, at first it looks like the wiring is too short - but BRP bundled a bunch of wire up under a clip.. need to cut the clip to get the wire loose then there is plenty of length.
    Once all torqued down correctly the fun begins - you will probably make several tweeks before getting them set exactly where it fits you.
    Process is... you set it, ride it, tweek the setting, ride it, tweek the setting, repeat... yeah, took me SEVERAL of these to get it to fit me just right. But SO worth it.
    Last edited by Pooch; 02-06-2023 at 02:06 PM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

The trouble is, we are all different, Vito. For me, they were virtually essential to get the bars high enough while still providing a good wrist angle, and I can ride all day with no wrist/shoulder/neck issues, so it’s $600 well spent. The install is no more difficult than any other F3/‘20+ RT handlebar replacement (having the throttle & controls pull off the bars as a single assembly is very helpful). Just remember, as other have mentioned above, to remove some of the cable ties to free up the control cables.

Are the Rivco risers not comfortable for you? If they are, “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it”.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I was uncomfortable on my 2018 F3L when I first got it. I solved my problem with the 'short reach' bars.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

At first, I tried the 2" riser with the stock bars, but the feel just wasn't quite right. Then I switched to the F3 Attitude bars with the 2" riser and used those for over a year, but still the feel wasn't right. So, I went and bought the F3 short reach bars, but they were way too close to me, and when I sat on the bike, I immediately knew they weren't going to cut it.

From the beginning of this handlebar excursion to seek out the best and cheapest option for me, and during all this, having read many posts about the Helibars, I finally decided to spend the money. Let me tell you, it was money well spent. The money that I did waste was on all the other gadgets. I could have used that money from the beginning and got my Helibars for about $75 less than what I actually paid. But that's how we do things sometimes.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

After trying multiple combinations of 1" and 2" risers, Attitude bars and long reach bars (yes, long reach), I gave in a bought a set of F3 Helibar risers. These are for F3 only and are approx. 1" taller than the standard F3/RT Helibars. In addition, I reamed out the pin hole a touch to be able to push the bars forward a bit. SUCCESS !! I found my happy combination. These style Helibars required removing the right side panel and clipping some wire ties. Worth it for me...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

It really depends on how you ride. Meaning your comfort position. I installed the Helibars on both my 2020 and my wife's 2021. I am tall body with short arm length and my wife is short body with long arm length. The Helibars fit me perfectly, but was unable too get them to fit my wife. I ended up putting on stock F3 bars on her Spyder and selling her Helibars.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Reviving an older thread. I had the taller version Helibars on my past F3-S; but sold them last fall when I put my F3-S up for sale. Fast forward to now, and I'm pondering a set of the shorter versions for my 2022 RT S2S. Best price I have seen is $615. Anyone know of a better deal somewhere? Thx

*PS* Currently, I went to my past F3S parts bin and installed Lamonster 2" risers and long reach bars on the RT. Yes .. The long reach bars are taller than the OEM RT bars.
    Last edited by troop; 05-13-2024 at 05:46 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I tried risers first, but the angle just wasn't comfortable for my hands. The Helibars solved that issue, and there's a good chance I can use them on my next Spyder as well.

If risers work, great. If not, how much is it worth to have a comfortable ride?

NEVERMIND, JUST SAW THIS WAS AN OLD THREAD WITH A NEW QUESTION.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.