Spyder Garage

Default Hey, Spyder Audio Experts.... Here's some questions on upgrades - any help?

I have a 2019 F3L. I am looking to upgrade the audio a little just for when cruising around town. I have my Cardo Edge with JBL speakers for when I'm on the highway.

I simply want to add a small amp using speaker level inputs and run out to new speakers. I already installed a pair of Hertz DCX 100.3 speakers as a replacement for the 4.5's. It's a cleaner sound, but just not enough of it, nor even a small amount of bass (to be expected). All that said, here are some thoughts and questions I would appreciate feedback on...

1) Do the front factory speakers (2 x 4.5 plus 2 x tweeters) run from two amplified channels or through a crossover from only 2-channels (assuming I understand how these separates work properly)?

2) Following the above, is the factory "amplification" from the head unit 4 or 6 channels?

3) Assuming 4-channels (plus crossover) for a moment, am I good to install a 4-channel amp, using speaker level inputs and just the front 2 and rear 2 channels?

4) I just want to install something small. A small boost in power from an easily hidable amp is more important to me than a lot of power. I found this one - any thoughts on this or something similar? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...BPWFWAHW&psc=1

5) On a separate note, it does appear that the front and rear speakers are installed in round molded "boxes" in the dash and the rear case. Would using some mold resistant fiberglass insulation improve base at all?

6) As I am usually the only one on board (certainly the only one that cares about music quality), I am not so concerned with a better full range speaker in the rear as well... I see no point especially with a helmet on. As such, I was thinking of some kind of 4-5" sub in there to at least improve the "feel" of the sound while riding.

7) If I do go with the 4-channel amp, and do want to tap into the wiring for the rear speakers, but do so around the instrument cluster, where can I find the rear speaker wiring in the dash area? If I simply pop off the instrument cluster, do they connect to the back of it, or is there a factory audio unit/amp hidden somewhere other than integral with the instrument cluster?

I am not looking to spend a lot of money. For the most part, I am sure I will just use Cardo most of the time, but I do enjoy riding to work in my open face helmet on a nice day and trying to listen to music from the speakers instead. As such, in addition to the Hertz already installed, a small amp and a change in rear speaker to something is all I am looking to do.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2024 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
    I have a 2019 F3L. I am looking to upgrade the audio a little just for when cruising around town. I have my Cardo Edge with JBL speakers for when I'm on the highway.

I simply want to add a small amp using speaker level inputs and run out to new speakers. I already installed a pair of Hertz DCX 100.3 speakers as a replacement for the 4.5's. It's a cleaner sound, but just not enough of it, nor even a small amount of bass (to be expected). All that said, here are some thoughts and questions I would appreciate feedback on...

1) Do the front factory speakers (2 x 4.5 plus 2 x tweeters) run from two amplified channels or through a crossover from only 2-channels (assuming I understand how these separates work properly)?

2) Following the above, is the factory "amplification" from the head unit 4 or 6 channels?

3) Assuming 4-channels (plus crossover) for a moment, am I good to install a 4-channel amp, using speaker level inputs and just the front 2 and rear 2 channels?

4) I just want to install something small. A small boost in power from an easily hidable amp is more important to me than a lot of power. I found this one - any thoughts on this or something similar? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...BPWFWAHW&psc=1

5) On a separate note, it does appear that the front and rear speakers are installed in round molded "boxes" in the dash and the rear case. Would using some mold resistant fiberglass insulation improve base at all?

6) As I am usually the only one on board (certainly the only one that cares about music quality), I am not so concerned with a better full range speaker in the rear as well... I see no point especially with a helmet on. As such, I was thinking of some kind of 4-5" sub in there to at least improve the "feel" of the sound while riding.

7) If I do go with the 4-channel amp, and do want to tap into the wiring for the rear speakers, but do so around the instrument cluster, where can I find the rear speaker wiring in the dash area? If I simply pop off the instrument cluster, do they connect to the back of it, or is there a factory audio unit/amp hidden somewhere other than integral with the instrument cluster?

I am not looking to spend a lot of money. For the most part, I am sure I will just use Cardo most of the time, but I do enjoy riding to work in my open face helmet on a nice day and trying to listen to music from the speakers instead. As such, in addition to the Hertz already installed, a small amp and a change in rear speaker to something is all I am looking to do.

Thanks!!
    I did mine completely differently.... The output of the OEM stereo/amp is fine; the key is how much resistance the Speakers have. OEM, that is 4 Ohms; mine are 2 Ohms. My '14 RT can be heard from 300 ft away, and it's a clear sound from my Sirius XM receiver. I also swapped out the OEM speakers for JBL 5.25 speakers front and rear. Good Luck .... Mike

Ps: I was told what I did can't/shouldn't be done for numerous reasons .... well 80,000 + mi. later and still no issues...

Pps: They weren't Marine grade speakers either!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2024 at 11:58 PM. Reason: thin coloured fonts are almost impossible for some to read... :-/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I did mine completely differently.... The output of the OEM stereo/amp is fine; the key is how much resistance the Speakers have. OEM, that is 4 Ohms; mine are 2 Ohms. My '14 RT can be heard from 300 ft away, and it's a clear sound from my Sirius XM receiver. I also swapped out the OEM speakers for JBL 5.25 speakers front and rear. Good Luck .... Mike

Ps: I was told what I did can't/shouldn't be done for numerous reasons .... well 80,000 + mi. later and still no issues...

Pps: They weren't Marine grade speakers either!
    How well did the 5.25s fit? What were stock in yours? Mine are 4.5”.

You got me thinking!!

Spyder Garage

How well did the 5.25s fit? What were stock in yours? Mine are 4.5”.

You got me thinking!!
    The OEM front speakers were 5.25 .... the rears were a custom size, I think 4.25". I was able to enlarge the rear hole to fit the 5.25 without any problem .... A tip .... if you can raise the speaker up even 1/8 in. using a spacer that raises the rear cone frame, it will fit into the OEM hole size .... another tip - BIC pens make great low-pressure spacers, just take out the guts with a pair of pliers and cut the spacer size with a Utility/Razor knife. Find the LOWEST ohm speakers you can and use those. If you replace an OEM speaker that is rated at 4-ohms with a 2-ohm model, you are effectively DOUBLING the radio's watt output. .... trust me, it works ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2024 at 09:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Are you an F3 or RT? 2019 F3 at least is 4.5" on all 4. I know RTs are bigger.

Spyder Garage

Are you an F3 or RT? 2019 F3 at least is 4.5" on all 4. I know RTs are bigger.
    As stated in post #2 .... 2014 RT .....Mike