Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone ever reused TricLED A-Arm lights?

Has anyone ever reused their TricLED A-Arm lights. If you remove them to put them on another bike, will they stick again properly?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2024 at 01:44 PM. Reason: every... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With all things that have the black or gray double-faced tape, the tape will need to be replaced. If the tape doesn't have the fabric scrim, get a start to lifting the tape at one end and gently pull 20-30 degrees above the adhesive plane. The tape is almost always a 3M VHB product and is similar in behavior to 3M Command products (the VHB has a much more aggressive adhesive). If that doesn't work, use your thumb or finger and roll the adhesive along the tape's length. I find pulling is less abusive to my dry and cracked fingers, than the push-the-tootsie-roll-pack. Once the big stuff is off, clean with high % rubbing alcohol or an adhesive removing solution (3M used to sell a heptane-based Wax and Adhesive Remover that works extremely well). Apply fresh VHB adhesive to the surface and reapply to the new position.

This process works for aftermarket accessories (e.g., lighting), as well as OEM badging. Unless the lights are not functional, I reuse them. I use a piece of fishing string to slice through the tape, splitting the tape and now the removal process needs to be done on the both the host surface and the article, but it is less prone to damaging relatively fragile items such as lighting upon removal via brute force.

Wayne
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2024 at 07:01 PM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap