Spyder Garage

Default Tips on what to look for when doing my New Spyder's inspection? Buying experience.

I'll be picking up my brand new 2023 F3 Limited SS sometime this week, perhaps tomorrow.

Any tips on what to look for while doing the prepurchase inspection?

TIA
    Last edited by Albec; 05-16-2024 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series.
    2023 F3 Ltd SS , Mineral Blue / Carbon Black

Spyder Garage

I'm not a tech, and this probably isn't what you were hoping for ... but what do you do when buying a new (under warranty) car? Personally, I look for cosmetic issues and make them repair any defects (or promise to repair--in writing) , then I get in it, make the assumption that everything mechanically works, and go driving. Then I'll read my owner's manual and play with all the gadgets and settings. If I find something amiss or concerning, I'll bring it back in for a warrantied repair.
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Slingmods USB and QuadLock phone mount with vibration dampener
    Highway pegs
    Rear GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45 SL 225/60R-15 tire
    Drink2Go front/rear Cupholders
    3D printed Turn Signal/Shifter caps
    KOTT Grill covers
    LED Headlights + LED Foglights
    High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    Pedal Box+ w/BT
    Show Chrome gas shock for rear trunk
    Foam Grips
    Red Rim Covers
    VIOFO T1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Albec View Post
    I'll be picking up my brand new 2023 F3 Limited SS sometime this week, perhaps tomorrow.

Any tips on what to look for while doing the prepurchase inspection?

TIA
    Bring a tire gauge and verify the tire pressure is correct. Other than that, give a walk around looking for damage.

Have the dealer show you that the electronic display and all the apps work correctly. If not decide whether to accept it or not.

I would also make them, the dealer correctly set up the linkage and if needed, they supply the correct linkages for your size, before accepting the Spyder. They will balk, but would you buy a car if you could not safely reach the brake pedal?

If you were buying an RT series, check the ride height link is installed correctly.

Do not buy your extended warranty from your dealer unless they match the same warranty company and price you can find elsewhere. iMotorsports has been a go to place for many needing an extended warranty.

If you need riding gear, choose what you like, and you set the price you are willing to pay. Not some deal of 5% off an inflated msrp.

Chances are your dealer loves you while you hold the money and divorces you without a care once you roll away.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2024 at 04:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    I'm not a tech, and this probably isn't what you were hoping for ... but what do you do when buying a new (under warranty) car? Personally, I look for cosmetic issues and make them repair any defects (or promise to repair--in writing) , then I get in it, make the assumption that everything mechanically works, and go driving. Then I'll read my owner's manual and play with all the gadgets and settings. If I find something amiss or concerning, I'll bring it back in for a warrantied repair.
    Thanks for the reply!

I've purchased a new vehicle or two in my time here on Earth, so I know what to do when inspecting a new car, prepurchase. I was looking for Spyder specific info.

I don't even have the Spyder in my possession, yet but I've already read the owner's manual twice, the electronic version anyways.
    Last edited by Albec; 05-15-2024 at 08:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Bring a tire gauge and verify the tire pressure is correct. Other than that, give a walk around looking for damage.

Have the dealer show you that the electronic display and all the apps work correctly. If not decide whether to accept it or not.

I would also make them, the dealer correctly set up the linkage and if needed, they supply the correct linkages for your size, before accepting the Spyder. They will balk, but would you buy a car if you could not safely reach the brake pedal?

If you were buying an RT series, check the ride height link is installed correctly.

Do not buy your extended warranty from your dealer unless they match the same warranty company and price you can find elsewhere. iMotorsports has been a go to place for many needing an extended warranty.

If you need riding gear, choose what you like, and you set the price you are willing to pay. Not some deal of 5% off an inflated msrp.

Chances are your dealer loves you while you hold the money and divorces you without a care once you roll away.

Thanks for the reply!

Got the tire gauge covered and ready to go.

I also have the UFIT brake linkage covered. In my test riding of the Spyder I saw that I needed to move the floorboards back one notch and I had the dealer install the shorter linkage already (they had to order it for me). They wouldn't toss the linkage in for free though, $35 plus half hour labor, $87.50. Normally I would do this simple job myself without question, but I just wanted to have the machine ready to roll when I go to pick it up. I'm curious as to whether or not they'll have the old linkage right there for me to take with me. If they don't, someone will be looking for it in the back...

No RT, as you can see from my post, it's an F3.

As for the extended warranty? Guess where I'm purchasing my Spyder, and the extended warranty, from? Yep, iMotorsports! $667 for an additional 3 years, 5 years total.

The Spyder is ready to go, and it will today!

As for riding gear? I've been on two wheels for a long time, still am as I'm keeping my 2008 Kawasaki ZG1400. The Spyder will be mainly two up with my wife. When I feel the need for speed and the need for a good lean in tight corners, the ZG will get the nod.

That's not to say that I won't try for as big a discount as possible on a couple of things that I do need. Like a new comms and a cover for the Spyder. I could use a new helmet too, but the price would have to be REALLY good!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2024 at 05:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Have the dealer set the front ride height on the suspension, this means that you, a passenger and your expected luggage should be on the bike when the measurements are taken. They can then crank up the preload on the front shocks to the Can Am spec so that the front end steers the way it was expected to. This is especially important since being below the ride height spec reduces your toe-in and causes the trike to wander and dart more than it should.

If you don't have it done when you pick it up have them do it when you bring it in as part of the predelivery. JMO
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2024 at 05:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

When I bought my '20 RT, I weaseled them out of a new HJC RPHA 90 helmet to sweeten the deal. Can't hurt to ask!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AndysF3S View Post
    Have the dealer set the front ride height on the suspension, this means that you, a passenger and your expected luggage should be on the bike when the measurements are taken. They can then crank up the preload on the front shocks to the Can Am spec so that the front end steers the way it was expected to. This is especially important since being below the ride height spec reduces your toe-in and causes the trike to wander and dart more than it should.

If you don't have it done when you pick it up have them do it when you bring it in as part of the predelivery. JMO
    Hmmmm, I read the OM twice cover to cover but I must have missed this somehow?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2024 at 05:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    When I bought my '20 RT, I weaseled them out of a new HJC RPHA 90 helmet to sweeten the deal. Can't hurt to ask!
    Oh I'll ask, believe me!

Spyder Garage

I could use a new helmet too, but the price would have to be REALLY good!
    I just received a flyer in the email from Cycle Gear (https://www.cyclegear.com/) about their Memorial Day sale "Up To 60% OFF".

On the front it says Helmet Week May 17-27. Inside the flyer it says Premium Helmets up to 20% off.

They also have a drawing for two "Legendary Honda Motorcyles". A "restomod" '74 Honda XL250 and a new '24 Honda Transalp.

I've been looking for a white HJC i91 helmet, so I'll be visiting their website on Friday.

No, I don't work for Cycle Gear or have any relationship to them.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm, I read the OM twice cover to cover but I must have missed this somehow?
    Page 63 of my 22 F3S Operators Manual says "see the Can Am dealer for front end adjustment" and page 292 of the shop manual gives you the rest of the info, including the recommended preload height of 16 17/32" (between the upper and lower shock absorber mounting bolts) with rider, passenger, and cargo aboard.
    My dealer did a pretty thorough predelivery procedure but did not mention the front suspension adjustment. I had to find that out for myself, and it makes a difference IMO.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2024 at 05:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

check tire pressures and check rear shock air pressure, Have been using 25psi in rear shock and works really well

Spyder Garage

Oh boy, where to begin...

I'll start with the good part, got my new F3 home and it's beautiful! I rode home from the Chicago area right as rush hour traffic was gearing up. Great fun! I followed my wife home, not so much fun for her as she was worried about me. No need for that.

I'd like to outline my buying experience with iMotosports but since they are a sponsor of this site, and my experience was not all good, I'm not sure that my post will survive an edit.

Let's start with this and see what happens.

We arrived at the showroom at the appointed time. There in front of the store, as promised, was my new Spyder. Beautiful from a distance. As I was parking, I saw that someone had come out of the store and rode the F3 back into the service area. Hmm, that's strange. Then about 20 minutes later (we were looking at all the great toys in the showroom while we waited, beautiful showroom) my Spyder reappears in front. We go outside to see the F3. The sales manager is cleaning the F3 with a rag and something in a spray can. The thing is filthy! Dust all over it along with water spots galore (this was SUPPOSED to be fresh out of the crate, it wasn't, and I was flat out lied to on this point. I can elaborate if anyone would like to hear it?). Why wasn't this cleaning done before we arrived? Even worse, the reason that the F3 was taken back into the service area was because the tech who installed the shorter brake linkage FORGOT to move the left side floorboard back to match the right side. Nice. That inspires a lot of confidence, not. And if anyone is wondering about the brake linkage that I had replaced, see above posts, I had to ask for it and sure enough, it was in the back somewhere. Minor mistakes but they add up.

Ok then, I pull out my trusty tire gauge and proceed to check the air pressures. WTF? The fronts are both set at 28psi and the back at 29psi. Again, WTF? I ask the sales manager about this, and he says, I kid you not, that those pressures are correct. I tell him that they are not correct, not according to the owner's manual. He assures me that they are, and his face shows that 'he knows better and that I do not'. He says that the can double check with the tech and let me know. By this time, we're in the finance guy's office and going over the numbers. The finance guy wants to know what's going on and I tell him. He looks up the correct pressure in the online owner's manual and you ALL know who's right here, right? The finance guy prints out the page with the correct pressures listed and says that we'll go out and speak with the sales manager about it. I ask him not to say anything before we ask what the tech told the sales manager. Again, the tech said that the high pressures are correct and then the finance guy shows him the printout. The sales manager takes the F3 back to the back to adjust the pressures. They're all embarrassed and super apologetic and the finance guy wonders out loud how many Spyders they've had leave the showroom with over inflated tires?

About adjusting the ride height, as mentioned above. They tell me that they never do this and that it's done at the factory, estimating the weight of two up. Color me skeptical...

Keep in mind that this is a GOLD certified dealership, according to BRP anyways.

All this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. I love the F3, but I don't love this dealership or the buying experience that I had. I don't trust them and if I need any kind of work done, I'll probably look elsewhere.

No discounts on ANYTHING either. I take that back, 10% was offered on accessories, on MSRP prices, No thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 09:20 AM. Reason: road... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Just be aware that those 'Gold' & 'Platinum' certificates are apparently awarded for the level of SALES each specific dealer makes, not for anything to do with their level of customer satisfaction &/or service quality!

Mind you, there's a fair few pretty happy iMotorsports customers here on the Forum, with only a few, well, more like very few reports of any hassles in dealing with them/getting things done well and usually fairly quickly; so it would seem that your experience is one of the few 'less than ideal' experiences... But as mentioned, there are some other reports - altho hopefully, these reports are the exceptions that iMotorsports use to improve their customer service.

I do hope you've taken your concerns about this to their management - politely of course, but clearly outlining those things you're less than impressed with. If you haven't, please do! They'll never know about them in order to improve on them unless their customers tell them.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

If this is iMotorsports in Chicago then I would be concerned with all the bikes they ship to folks.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

I purchased two F3L Spyders from iMoto in a two year period. I was pleased with everything in our transactions. They gave me a "fair" price for both my trades. They were delivered when promised and the trades were picked up. I had no issues with set-up. Both vehicles ran fine from the beginning. Back then, 20 & 21, there were some good "deals" to be had. I was able to negotiate some items that were important to me. There is less of that going on across the board today (2024).

I sold both my F3L's last October for health reasons, so I am no longer a Spyder owner after I had a 15 year relationship with the Spyder product and have seen the "Good, the Bad, and The Ugly."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Just be aware that those 'Gold' & 'Platinum' certificates are apparently awarded for the level of SALES each specific dealer makes, not for anything to do with their level of customer satisfaction &/or service quality!

Mind you, there's a fair few pretty happy iMotorsports customers here on the Forum, with only a few, well, more like very few reports of any hassles in dealing with them/getting things done well and usually fairly quickly; so it would seem that your experience is one of the few 'less than ideal' experiences... But as mentioned, there are some other reports - altho hopefully, these reports are the exceptions that iMotorsports use to improve their customer service.

I do hope you've taken your concerns about this to their management - politely of course, but clearly outlining those things you're less than impressed with. If you haven't, please do! They'll never know about them in order to improve on them unless their customers tell them.
    As I'm sure that you noticed, I didn't mention the names of the people who I was dealing with. Taking my issue to management? I was dealing with the sales manager and the finance manager at the time. All told me what I wanted to hear, or at least what they thought that I wanted to hear. All I wanted was the truth, that's not what I got. Who else should I contact, the general manager? At this point, what's to be done about my case? Nothing.

This is how my luck normally runs. Everyone else has a good experience except for me. lol

I guess I'll have to settle for being lucky in love. lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Al View Post
    If this is iMotorsports in Chicago then I would be concerned with all the bikes they ship to folks.
    Elmhurst, a suburb of Chicago.

Spyder Garage

As I'm sure that you noticed, I didn't mention the names of the people who I was dealing with. Taking my issue to management? I was dealing with the sales manager and the finance manager at the time. All told me what I wanted to hear, or at least what they thought that I wanted to hear. All I wanted was the truth, that's not what I got. Who else should I contact, the general manager? At this point, what's to be done about my case? Nothing. ....
    Who else should you contact, the general manager? Yep, or the Dealer Principal, or whoever it might be at that place who everyone else reports to but who in their turn reports to no-one else, except maybe their investors or the parent company!

If you really want to make a change in the business' behaviour, then unless it's a really top notch organisation, talking to anyone else is most likely just going to be a waste of your time & effort; cos often, all they'll do is tell you what you want to hear, or at least what they think that you want to hear, just to get you off their backs &/or to stop you from going to the person they answer to & maybe show them up in a 'less than ideal' light.... Hang on, didn't someone else already say that's pretty much all those people you've spoken to so far has achieved??

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2024 at 09:24 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!