Spyder Garage

Default Gold Canyon Az to Lake Stevens, Wa

Day #1: Left at 5:12am, gassed up on the West side of Phoenix. Had trouble getting the dashcam to write to the micro-SD card. Wanted me to format the card, which failed many times, so I gave up & kept going!! Gassed up again just before CA. Got waved through the check point and was just up to 60 in the left lane when a German Shepherd came out of the brush in the median about 15 or 20 feet in front of me! He or she got past the middle of the trike before I hit it. Right hand radiator is banged up and the Tupperware is broken up badly. Got pulled over to the right side of the road and the guy who was behind me stopped also. He said you did not have any chance to miss the dog. I asked what happened to the dog, he pointed back and said a cop was dragging the remains of the highway. My right front tire went over the dog.

Pulled into Blythe to check things out. Rad did not seem to be leaking. However, there was water still dripping off the trike. Maybe the dog wet itself on the trike? Put Stop Leak in it; bought a gallon of antifreeze; and drove back and forth on the main drag several times; then back onto I-10 for a few miles; and checked things again. Made it to Redland, my planned stop for the night. Will give it a good inspection in the morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2024 at 05:26 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Glad you're OK. Heck of a start.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Looks like your trike is still ridable. From AJ to Redland is a long ride! Glad the damage wasn't worse and that you are OK. We had another 100 degree day today and lots more in the forecast. Please keep us posted on your progress and stay safe..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

351 miles today, 307 tomorrow and having dinner with a lady I dated 55 years ago. Radiator is pretty beat up, I checked a little while ago and does not appear to be leaking.

Day 2: Plan is 307 miles to Madera Ca and dinner with a young lady I dated 55 years ago! Then decide if I just head on North on I5 and abort the coast on highway 1 and 101.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2024 at 05:57 AM. Reason: merged duplicated posts??

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I'd opt for the coastal route 10 out of 10 times. But then, I-5 is not enjoyable to me. I guess it all depends upon if you have a "get there" or "touring" plan. Good luck and stay safe..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Got to see the train do the 360 loop today. Trike is running good. Going over to highway 1 tomorrow North of SF.

Spyder Garage

Day 3: If one is going to do a long distance trip you will encounter heavy traffic conditions at some or many places. My Arizona riding group tries to avoid such situations. It does not bother me that much however. Yesterday afternoon and this morning I was in heavy fast traffic. My advice is before heading out on a long trip go play in city freeway rush hour traffic a few time as a practice exercise.

I enjoyed highway 1 on Northern California coast today, which gives your left thumb and index finger a good work out. It was in mid 50's to 60 degrees on the cosst.

Stopping to visit a friend in Eureka tomorrow and then on to Gold Beach, Or.

Trike is running well and the steering issues I had a couple months ago have not retuned.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 05-16-2024 at 09:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Light House at Point Arena Ca. I climbed this many times in the late 1960's, while stationed at the Loran station near by

Spyder Garage

Day #4: Had lunch with a friend who is a car nut. He said he likes to drive the 289 better. I rode in the 289 about 10 years ago. In Gold Beach Or tonight. Two more days to go. Trike is running fine.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2024 at 08:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Day #5: I look out the window of the motel and there is frost on car roofs and the Spyder travel cover! WEATHER APP SAYS IT IS 48 outside.

Going to slow down a bit today and take a few pictures. Leaving early for lunch appointment, so I will have time to be a tourist.

Spyder Garage

Well, it was not frost, car roof was painted white. Weighed the trike on an Oregon truck scale at 1350 lbs. Luggage compartments all full.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 08:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Most scales I’ve seen were rounded to nearest 20lbs. Looks like this one could be to nearest 50lbs. Just fyi …

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Light House at Point Arena Ca. I climbed this many times in the late 1960's, while stationed at the Loran station near by
    Fellow Coasty then? I did 20 in Uncle Sam's Confused Group. Lol
    My home town is Eureka CA.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

I had lunch with a friend yesterday in Eureka. When I was getting out in January 1969, they offered me the ERS there as lead tech. I got out as an ET1 (4 years), after 2 years as an ET2.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2024 at 11:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Couple pics from Oregon coast. I got rained twice this afternoon. As long as you are moving you stay pretty dry on the Syder.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 05-19-2024 at 05:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Video of train doing the 360 degree on Tehachapi! https://youtu.be/y-vQLTq-CNg

Spyder Garage

Nice video. I loved the way the horn cut in just as you went to make a comment. Did that train have any helpers in the middle or on the rear? That seemed to be a lot of train for 3 locomotives to pull up that grade.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Nice video. I loved the way the horn cut in just as you went to make a comment. Did that train have any helpers in the middle or on the rear? That seemed to be a lot of train for 3 locomotives to pull up that grade.

Cars all appeared to be empty in the one I videoed. I saw one at the crest of the pull heading East and it had 4 engines in front and one at the rear.

Spyder Garage

Cost of 1800 mile trip with 5 motel stays, food, and fuel for 6 days of driving. And one dog!

Spyder Garage

Loaded on the trailer for trip to the hospital in Burlington Wa Friday.

Spyder Garage

Couple pics from Oregon coast. I got rained twice this afternoon. As long as you are moving you stay pretty dry on the Syder.
    Port Orford, OR. I lived there for around 20 years. Your second pictures shows Humbug Mt. south of town Worked at Humbug/Cape Blanco State parks for 25 years. 1st picture Euchre Creek area, 3rd picture Docks at Port Orford, Commercial fishing there, 4th Picture south of Humbug Mt. and last picture Sisters Rocks, years ago they tried to build a dock there to ship out logs, southern storms tore it out
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
    Port Orford, OR. I lived there for around 20 years. Your second pictures shows Humbug Mt. south of town Worked at Humbug/Cape Blanco State parks for 25 years. 1st picture Euchre Creek area, 3rd picture Docks at Port Orford, Commercial fishing there, 4th Picture south of Humbug Mt. and last picture Sisters Rocks, years ago they tried to build a dock there to ship out logs, southern storms tore it out
    The Loran Station at Cape Blanco was our Northern slave when I was at a double master at Point Arena summer of 1967 to discharge on Jan 3rd 1969. This was a bucket list ride on the trike to do highway 1 and 101 all the way to Raymond Wa. Also included have dinner in Madera Ca with a lady I dated 55 years ago. Hit the dog at Blythe, was NOT part of the planned ride.

Bean pole in the center of the crew picture.

Spyder Garage

The Loran Station at Cape Blanco was our Northern slave when I was at a double master at Point Arena summer of 1967 to discharge on Jan 3rd 1969. This was a bucket list ride on the trike to do highway 1 and 101 all the way to Raymond Wa. Also included have dinner in Madera Ca with a lady I dated 55 years ago. Hit the dog at Blythe, was NOT part of the planned ride.

Bean pole in the center of the crew picture.
    Great Pictures, would be great to have the Camaro today. I remember the Loran at Cape Blanco, in fact I remember the Loran/remains of it at Port Orford Heads. I also remember the Gap Filler Radar that was farther out past the Heads Coast Guard Station. That old Coast Station is now an Oregon State Park, and I lived in the Officers Residence from 2010 till I retired in 2018.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Well took the Spyder to Burlington Can Am dealer to get the estimate for my insurance claim. Glad I trailered it up there as it rained pretty hard. Insurance adjuster is going to dealer next Friday to lay out a plan of repair.