Spyder Garage

Exclamation Look inside the rear fender

Hi guys.

I had the rear fender struts replaced on my Spyder a couple of months back. The dealer made a meal of the job, using the wrong nuts, which led me to remove the rear fender to check for damage.

Inside, I found that the fender support was badly cracked. I've put some pics in my album here. If these go much further, the fender will fail.

It should be possible to check for this by just removing the fender. Next time you have a maintenance day, lift the rear fender and have a look.

Cheers;

Pogo

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very interesting pictures to say the least. Do those cracks go all the way through the piece of metal? I just had my rear fender off the other day, installing my new TricPlate, and I didn't see any damage like that at all. Is there a chance someone hit your Spyder in the rear or something without you knowing about it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Very interesting pictures to say the least. Do those cracks go all the way through the piece of metal? I just had my rear fender off the other day, installing my new TricPlate, and I didn't see any damage like that at all. Is there a chance someone hit your Spyder in the rear or something without you knowing about it?

Hmmm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Very interesting pictures to say the least. Do those cracks go all the way through the piece of metal?
    Yes, SpyderWolf, they are full depth. It is possible that they were caused by the fender supports not being properly fitted, but I thought it worth warning others. It would be disastrous if the fender hit the wheel at speed.

I just had my rear fender off the other day, installing my new TricPlate, and I didn't see any damage like that at all. Is there a chance some one hit your Spyder in the rear or something without you knowing about it?
    There is no damage at all on the outside of the fender (other than the paint rubs caused by the butt-ugly reversing light bracket that was fitted to our models).

Anyway, if you've looked and seen no damage, you can ride on happily.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has cracking like this.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

First I've seen cracking there .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Mine cracked like that two only worse. I thought it was from the other fender brackets cracking which let alot of vibration happen which the stressed this bracket. I beefed up those brackets over the winter and no problems so far.
    Last edited by dabreitbach; 05-01-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Spyder Garage

That is your cue to mod the fender.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS