Spyder Garage

Default Rough down shifting

Ok guys, help me out here. Spyder has been in the shop for two weeks now and they've replace the transmission module, but it is still downshifting very hard and jerky. They don't know what to do, they have put calls into BRP without success.

Have ya'll had any problems such as this and if so, how was it fixed. I'm tired on hearing the same &(*)(*_)(* from the service guy, like I'm just this dumb broad pestering him daily!

Help!

kc

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nanaskids View Post
    Ok guys, help me out here. Spyder has been in the shop for two weeks now and they've replace the transmission module, but it is still downshifting very hard and jerky. They don't know what to do, they have put calls into BRP without success.

Have ya'll had any problems such as this and if so, how was it fixed. I'm tired on hearing the same &(*)(*_)(* from the service guy, like I'm just this dumb broad pestering him daily!

Help!

kc
    Hi kc.

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time at your dealer. I'm guessing that you have an SE5. My SE5 suffers from rough downshifting. It is caused by the throttle blipper not blipping the throttle as you would were you in charge of the shift.

Ask them to check the blipper while it is being ridden. A bit tricky, but if they can show that the blipper is being driven, then the blipper itself or its mechanism is faulty. If it isn't being driven then the problem is the TCM, or some of its inputs.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Pogo - but what's a blipper? This dealer is very unaware of service bulletins, recalls, etc. They have replaced the TCM, but the downshifting is still very hard. Besides being rude, unresponsive, etc. I'm fixing to call the dealership where we purchased the spyder and see if there is another sister-dealership that has better customer service and is uptodate on service bulletins, etc.

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.

kc
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    Hi kc.

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time at your dealer. I'm guessing that you have an SE5. My SE5 suffers from rough downshifting. It is caused by the throttle blipper not blipping the throttle as you would were you in charge of the shift.

Ask them to check the blipper while it is being ridden. A bit tricky, but if they can show that the blipper is being driven, then the blipper itself or its mechanism is faulty. If it isn't being driven then the problem is the TCM, or some of its inputs.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nanaskids View Post
    Thanks Pogo - but what's a blipper? ...
    kc
    Hi Nanaskids.

Again, I'm assuming that you have the SE5, the electric shift version of the Spyder.

On a 'manual' shift, you would synchronise the engine speed with the road speed by blipping the throttle, just opening it slightly, when you downshift.

The SE has a solenoid connected by a rod to the throttle. When the TCM says to downshift, it also activates the solenoid, briefly opening the throttle. Blipping it.

If it didn't do this then the downshifts would be very rough. Your symptoms.

As far as I know there haven't been any service bulletins regarding the throttle blipper, so it will be a matter of figuring out first if it is working, then if not why not, then figuring out how to fix that.

As I said earlier, it is tricky to show that it is working properly. The BRP test says that if it works once in five attempts then it is working. This is clearly not good enough for serious troubleshooting.

It is very difficult to get to it to remove and replace it, so you will want to be sure that it is actually faulty before you do this.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Cheers;

Pogo.