Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Stalling at idle !

Good morning, read this forum lots and I am having a hard time to see what could be the most probable causes for my Spyder to stall at idle. I have a new 2011 Spyder RT with 860 kms and it has stalled 6 times since I have it. 4 times in my garage during the winter and two times over the last 3 weeks while riding in town...One of the two times in town, I have it on tape. I am going to the Dealer next Tuesday for my 1000 kms Break In inspection and I would like to be knowledgeable and understand the possible causes for this annoying issue. Your support is much appreciated !

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There are several threads here on this issue that you might want to take a look at. Go into the SpyderWeb (link at top) and then do a search of "Stalling". You'll find many threads that may help you. The common suggestion in all of them though is to contact your dealer.
    Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

Mine is doing the same thing when cold and the dealer told me he couldn't fix it because it had
    no code. I called Len at Cowtown the other day and he suggested taking it out and run the snot
    Out of it for about 20 mins. He said he's seen a lot of RTs with this problem because they are
    not run hard enough. I'm going to try this and if it doesn't fix it I'll have Len check it out at
    SpyderFest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could be a low battery? If you don't get it up into the 5-6k rpms the battery won't charge.

Spyder Garage

I agree with the Cowtown Run The Snot Out Of It fix. During the early days with ours, it stalled a couple of times. It would start right back up. I assumed it was either loading up, or the centrifugal clutch was not disengaging (SE5). Took it for a good long spirited ride, and have not had it stall since.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
    I agree with the Cowtown Run The Snot Out Of It fix. During the early days with ours, it stalled a couple of times. It would start right back up. I assumed it was either loading up, or the centrifugal clutch was not disengaging (SE5). Took it for a good long spirited ride, and have not had it stall since.
    This is exactly what is happening with my 2011 Spyder RT. Interesting way of fixing the problem ! Will give it a shot and see what the Shop says next week.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I thought I read here somewhere that the Spyder will cut out if left idling for a specific period of time. Not trying to say there isn't an issue because mine has stalled on me while at stops, intermittently, but it did stall on me while idling in my garage the other day - I think it idled for about 2-3 minutes before cutting out. I don't normally let my Spyder idle for more than a minute or so before taking off, so it lead me to wonder whether there is some truth to it.

I also noticed, the last time it stalled on me at a stop light, that while I was listening to the radio, the radio cut out then the Spyder died. It started right up (as it always does), but this leads me to wonder if it has something to do with the radio as well...?? I mainly listen to my iPod and it has never cut out on me when the Spyder has stalled in the past and this was the first time I was able to connect something else to the stalling. I have no clue if these are related, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    I thought I read here somewhere that the Spyder will cut out if left idling for a specific period of time. Not trying to say there isn't an issue because mine has stalled on me while at stops, intermittently, but it did stall on me while idling in my garage the other day - I think it idled for about 2-3 minutes before cutting out. I don't normally let my Spyder idle for more than a minute or so before taking off, so it lead me to wonder whether there is some truth to it.

I also noticed, the last time it stalled on me at a stop light, that while I was listening to the radio, the radio cut out then the Spyder died. It started right up (as it always does), but this leads me to wonder if it has something to do with the radio as well...?? I mainly listen to my iPod and it has never cut out on me when the Spyder has stalled in the past and this was the first time I was able to connect something else to the stalling. I have no clue if these are related, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
    If it stalled and the radio cut out, it is likely more an electrical control problem than anything else. MY money would be on a loose connector, funky kill switch, or bad ignition switch/DESS. This is not normal. There is no cut-out after a couple of minutes on any Spyder, that I know of. Mine has idled far longer than that at times.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Stalling?

Quote Originally Posted by Max LTD View Post
    Good morning, read this forum lots and I am having a hard time to see what could be the most probable causes for my Spyder to stall at idle. I have a new 2011 Spyder RT with 860 kms and it has stalled 6 times since I have it. 4 times in my garage during the winter and two times over the last 3 weeks while riding in town...One of the two times in town, I have it on tape. I am going to the Dealer next Tuesday for my 1000 kms Break In inspection and I would like to be knowledgeable and understand the possible causes for this annoying issue. Your support is much appreciated !
    Just a thought for you...I recently had a problem with my 2010 RT-A stalling,so I called the dealer, and the first thing he asked was "Have you gotten fuel lately?". They believe there was some water mixed in with the gas!!! A bit of drygas seemed to do the trick (and running the snot out of it helped too!) I agree with the others though, have your dealer check it out at its service!!