Quote Originally Posted by bobnaquin View Post
Okay. Every year I think about going to Alaska. Every year I talk myself out of it because of 1) the distance and 2) the weather.

I would go in July and all the weather I see is 50 degrees and raining. I know how it can rain int he Northwest US. It never starts. It never stops. It just oozes cold water all of the the time. What is the weather really like in July in Alaska?

The distances I will deal with as I need to. But I like just to stop at night, usally early, and find myself a room to sleep in. Is this a good plan for Alaska? It seems like towns are so far apart, it is such a busy time of the year that I would probably need reservations. Do I?

How often does the ferry headback to Vancouver or Washington out of Whittier or whatever is closes to Anchorage. Have you ever taken it?

Give me your best advice.
There are always 47 reasons not to come to Alaska. Most people that come here have managed to get over them.

Will try to answer your questions. July is the warmest summer month. In the Anchorage area we get 70 degrees two or three times. If you go north to the interior (Fairbanks) you can see 80 - 100 degrees. The last couple summers have been rainy and cool--no guarantee it will be any different this year (2013)--but we are due for a nicer summer. Just have warm fall gear with you and you will be set. You won't have to worry about your spyder overheating either.

You need to stop early if you are on the Alcan Highway and you usually have to take what is available. Not the case if you are in the loop between Tok, Fairbanks, Anchorage. There are enough places to stay and you can make reservations in advance at most.

The closest ferry port to Anchorage is Whittier. I suggest you purchase a copy of the Milepost 2013 version. It has a wealth of information. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.