Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I know, this is a weird question...

...so bear with me.

I don't have a garage so I recently bought one of those "pop up" shed/tent things to put my Spyder and my motorcycle in. It does a great job of keeping the elements off the bike, but it's not "animal proof".

We have a cat (not ours, a neighborhood cat) that for some reason seems to REALLY like sitting on the seat of my Spyder. If he sat on it and I couldn't TELL he sat on it, I really wouldn't care, but when I come out, it's always got these little muddy cat prints all over the seat (and sometimes on the side as well). I'm getting tired of having to wipe it off every time I want to ride (and I'm thinking of getting a Corbin seat and REALLY don't want the little bast**d sitting on that). It's far worse if the weather is wet but it even happens when it's dry. At times the paw prints are very simple to get off, at other times I really have to scrub.

So - my question is, has anyone else had anything like this happen and does anyone have any suggestions to keep him off the bike (he also occasionally climbs on my Honda seat but seems to prefer the Spyder)?

I know, I could try to shoot it but since I actually LIKE the cat (we have four indoor ones of our own and genuinely like cats) and since I don't own a gun that makes it a non-option (even if I had one and WANTED to shoot it, I'm such a bad shot I'd likely miss and "shoot my eye out" instead).

So, like I said, a weird question, but I'm hoping that with the collective wisdom here someone may have an answer that doesn't involve bodily harm to said cat (though there are some days I'm thinking that's a viable option).

Thanks in advance for any sage advice you may be able to give me!!!
    Gary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can get animal repellant at pet stores. Or buy a large size of Cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it on the area you want to keep the cat off of and he'll get the idea. However, instead of paw prints you'll have to clean off the pepper or repellent before you ride.

Also, if you have a cover for the Spyder, the cat would have to get under it to be on the seat.

Spyder Garage

My shop cat loves to lay in the Spyder seat and the GL1800 seat. I just pile stuff like empty boxes on the seats to keep her off.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might try laying a piece of plastic over the seat or/and as some people use for a emergency rain cover, open the seat and put a trash bag over it. Good luck Oldmanzues

Spyder Garage

Maybe just cover it with a garbage bag when not riding it. I was going to say spike strip but I like cats too.

Spyder Garage

You have 2 very good alternatives at the opposite end of the $ scale.
    Simplest is to place an unbaited but "set" mouse trap on the seat, the cat will get the idea real quick without any real harm.
    More $, do a google search for "scat mat" (plastic sheet with 9 volt battery, gives mild electric shock when cat gets on it, again, no harm to cat, but they will stay away from your seat.

KYSPYDER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Cat cover

A cardboard tent that covers the seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

Had cat problems (not on the roadster) but the pepper (black) sprinkled around the area worked well. If you cover the seat make sure it is something cat claws will not penetrate or you will have more than mud on the seat. I have used bubble wrap but again if they feel they are going to fall they will pull out the claws..good luck..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Heh... I have had the *exact same problem* at my house. Keep the Bike Barn in the driveway, some mangy neighborhood cat loves to curl up on my seat from time to time.

I've never done anything about it-- it happens so infrequently, I don't bother-- but the three suggestions that might work best:

1. Spray Bitter Yuck on the seat. This isn't ideal as if you touch the seat with bare hands, you're liable to taste some of it yourself.

(True story: I spray it on my fake Xmas tree every year to keep our cat from going all National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation into the tree. Of course, I always manage to forget I do this between when I take the tree down and put it back up the next year. Inevitably I'm left wondering just what the is that awful taste is in my mouth as I set the tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving , until I remember, "Oh yeah... Bitter Yuck.")

2. Tinfoil. Spread a large sheet of it on the seat, be sure to crinkle it a little bit. Many cats don't like walking on tinfoil. (Alas, some don't care at all-- again, trial and error!).

3. Get a half-cover (Nelson Rigg sells one), or just a big sheet and throw it over the Spyder when parked. A PITA, and annoyingly redundant (like me, you got the outside storage *for a reason*), but takes care of your cat problem.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree with the mouse traps. I used them for years to keep cats from getting into my boats. I usually takes two times for the cat to get "hit" with the traps and they do not come back.

Spyder Garage

I purchased a half cover for my rs not sure if you have a RS or RT but these are really nice they make them for both models nelson rigg seems to be a favorite on this forum. See link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NELSON-R...item51ac827e16
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

lots of really GREAT solutions... I'm not a "cat" person, but I'm glad that the shooting option has been rendered unnecessary!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

At least the cat has good taste. Choosing which seat to sit on. Sorry Lamont. Honda seats are OK for some. Tin foil? So much for "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".

Im not a big cat fan, but I like cats better than mice.

Spyder Garage

Default Our cat does the same thing----

Quote Originally Posted by GMac View Post
    ...so bear with me.

I don't have a garage so I recently bought one of those "pop up" shed/tent things to put my Spyder and my motorcycle in. It does a great job of keeping the elements off the bike, but it's not "animal proof".

We have a cat (not ours, a neighborhood cat) that for some reason seems to REALLY like sitting on the seat of my Spyder. If he sat on it and I couldn't TELL he sat on it, I really wouldn't care, but when I come out, it's always got these little muddy cat prints all over the seat (and sometimes on the side as well). I'm getting tired of having to wipe it off every time I want to ride (and I'm thinking of getting a Corbin seat and REALLY don't want the little bast**d sitting on that). It's far worse if the weather is wet but it even happens when it's dry. At times the paw prints are very simple to get off, at other times I really have to scrub.

So - my question is, has anyone else had anything like this happen and does anyone have any suggestions to keep him off the bike (he also occasionally climbs on my Honda seat but seems to prefer the Spyder)?

I know, I could try to shoot it but since I actually LIKE the cat (we have four indoor ones of our own and genuinely like cats) and since I don't own a gun that makes it a non-option (even if I had one and WANTED to shoot it, I'm such a bad shot I'd likely miss and "shoot my eye out" instead).

So, like I said, a weird question, but I'm hoping that with the collective wisdom here someone may have an answer that doesn't involve bodily harm to said cat (though there are some days I'm thinking that's a viable option).

Gary
    Just wanted you to know we feel your pain. Our cat does the same thing and have tried to yell at her and keep her out, we even put a travel cover on it and she still manages to get up into the seat. I have to give her credit, she knows a comfortable place but yes, the stock seat does sure attract cat paw prints. We are constantly using a chammy to wipe it down and put it back to showroom appearance. This is what we get for country life. At least it is OUR cat---I do not appreciate neighbors who cannot be responsible and care enough to take care of THEIR pets. Sorry you have to go through this. You aren't alone for sure.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy a enclosed trailer and use it instead of a temporary shelter. No puddy tats allowed!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SSSCAT. It's by PetSafe. It's a motion sensor activated can of compressed air. The sound and blast of air scares the cat away. Set it on the seat and when the cat climbs on the seat PSSSSSSSTTTTT. Works great. Safe for the cat and the Spyder. Check at Pet Smart.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cardboard with double sided tape on it - the sticky kind. Or just staple some duct tape onto cardboard, sticky side up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was on my way home from Spyderfest on my brand new Spyder and when I went out to the hotel parking lot I had cat prints on my seat.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMG_2156.jpg

My kitty wants to sit on your Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=GMac;625461]...so bear with me.

Gary[/QUO

Your cat will be your best defense against rats. A rat chewed my truck wires causing $1400 damage. The cat was in the house. Next night outside he got the rat. We put a mat and sheet over the seat to prevent paw prints and claw marks.

Spyder Garage

I am having good sucess with aluminum foil. The cats do not like the feel of it at all.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Get a dog, train it to sit on your seat when you are not riding it, cat will stay away.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

You will soon find the cat is the least of your problems. Those little "shed/tent" things are for temporary use and attract all kinds of crawlie things. When the weather turns cold, damp and wet, spiders, bugs, mice and worse will hang out there. Give a mouse one week with your spyder and you could have hundreds of $$$$$$ if not more in electrical wire damage. Wasp, and spiders will build nest up in the crevices and air intake areas.

Shoot the cat, () then store your Spyder in a hard enclosure, garage or shed.
    Last edited by DR Buck; 05-21-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Throw an old towel or small blanket on the seat and let the cat enjoy his nap. My cats love the sheepskin on mine...no big deal.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default POPEYEART

TRY SOME PAINTERS OR MASKING TAPE, MAKE A LOOP WITH THE STICKY SIDE OUT, PLACE IT WHERE YOUR 4 FOOTED FRIENDLIKES TO SIT AND THIS SHOULD DO THE TRICK.THE TAPE WONT HURT THE CAT, BUT THEY WILL NOT LIKE GETTING IT STUCK ON THEM