Spyder Garage

Default Electrical Question

I have several electrical accessories installed and I have added an accessory fuse terminal to handle those. It is hooked to the 3 amp switched circuit in the Spyder's front fuse panel. I now want to add an LED trunk light. I would like to connect it to the UNswitched 3 amp circuit in the Spyder's front fuse panel. I have not decided if I will install a switch that will be activated by opening the trunk or if I will install a manual switch. My question is what/where is the easiest place to tie into the unswitched 3 amp circuit. Are there wires coming from it? Are there terminals? If there are terminals, are they male or female, of what size and type (spade foot etc.) You get the idea. I can discover this myself, but it is soooo hot outside now that I thought I would ask those that have already tied into the circuit and save a little time in the heat. Thanks in advance for any response/advice. Have a great weekend everyone. Ryde Safe and Enjoy
    sabunim5
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The unswitched accessory circuit harness is normally tied in the center, to the frame or steering. Not sure if you can access it with only the dash display removed, or if you will have to remove some panels or the console top. There is a 20 ga. violet/orange wire, along with the black ground. I believe it is a connector with two female spade terminals in an L-shaped configuration, just like the 12V outlet wiring.

Spyder Garage

Default you're the best

I really appreciate the info Scotty.
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    ... My question is what/where is the easiest place to tie into the unswitched 3 amp circuit. Are there wires coming from it? Are there terminals? If there are terminals, are they male or female, of what size and type (spade foot etc.) You get the idea...
    I found a connector for the unswitched circuit in a white plastic clip just above the hood latch. You can just see it in this pic <http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...ictureid=10969> Not the big square one opened up in the foreground, but look in that area.

It is a female connector, no idea what kind, but I'd probably put it in the big round spares container anyway and use something from my local auto store.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    I found a connector for the unswitched circuit in a white plastic clip just above the hood latch. You can just see it in this pic <http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...ictureid=10969> Not the big square one opened up in the foreground, but look in that area.

It is a female connector, no idea what kind, but I'd probably put it in the big round spares container anyway and use something from my local auto store.

Cheers;

Pogo.
    My trunk light actually came with a male connector, so this could be one easy hookup. The company said it should go to a connector that was part of a switched circuit. I want to be able to have light in the trunk when the key is out and the engine off so this looks much better and should be easy to access. Now I just have to wire in a switch.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The unswitched accessory circuit harness is normally tied in the center, to the frame or steering. Not sure if you can access it with only the dash display removed, or if you will have to remove some panels or the console top. There is a 20 ga. violet/orange wire, along with the black ground. I believe it is a connector with two female spade terminals in an L-shaped configuration, just like the 12V outlet wiring.
    Hi Scotty and all, Hope all is well. Need some help.
    The unswitched accessory circuit connector : the 2 wires(v/or & blk) go into a black connector piece(which I believe is the female side), this piece locks into the white connector piece. The white piece doesn't have any wires going into it(yet!), however, I think there must be flat spade-like terminals which you must crimp wires onto and then you push that into the white connector piece(they would lock in place). This would make the white piece the male side. I have the white piece out , it's marked -AMP on one side. No L-shape configuration at the spades , they are on the same "plane" _ _ .
    And now the reason for this message, does anyone have a clue as to the name,style of this AMP connector/spade connectors needed? I plan on doing a search after this is posted.

I plan on using the unswitched to power the 4-channel LED controller from triclights.

Looking forward to seeing folks at Lamont's and Maggie Valley.

Bill Pitman

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Without the specific number of the AMP connector in question, it would be hard to trace the appropriate terminals. These usually are crimp-on terminals that push into the plastic connector and snap into place with a small "arm" that sticks out. Magic Man would be better at explaining the terminology than I am. You may be able to find mating spade connectors at a Radio Shack or home improvement store, that would attach to your new wires but plug into the existing terminals separately. Powerlet has a female T-connector, if that is what you need. The simplest solution would be to snip off the existing connector, and use the wires directly, or replace it with another interlocking connector from Radio Shack, an auto parts store, or Eastern Beaver.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ... The simplest solution would be to snip off the existing connector, and use the wires directly, or replace it with another interlocking connector from Radio Shack, an auto parts store, or Eastern Beaver.
    Or use Posi-Taps. No snips.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Found them!!

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    Hi Scotty and all, Hope all is well. Need some help.
    The unswitched accessory circuit connector : the 2 wires(v/or & blk) go into a black connector piece(which I believe is the female side), this piece locks into the white connector piece. The white piece doesn't have any wires going into it(yet!), however, I think there must be flat spade-like terminals which you must crimp wires onto and then you push that into the white connector piece(they would lock in place). This would make the white piece the male side. I have the white piece out , it's marked -AMP on one side. No L-shape configuration at the spades , they are on the same "plane" _ _ .
    And now the reason for this message, does anyone have a clue as to the name,style of this AMP connector/spade connectors needed? I plan on doing a search after this is posted.

I plan on using the unswitched to power the 4-channel LED controller from triclights.

Looking forward to seeing folks at Lamont's and Maggie Valley.

Bill Pitman

I found the parts needed: Connectors used are ".070 Series Multilock" made by Tyco Electronics/AMP Brand.
    The unswitched accessory connector only lacks the metal connector tab pieces(2) to be usable. Part # 173645-1 for wire size- awg 16-20.
    13 cents each.

Bill

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Great info

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    I found the parts needed: Connectors used are ".070 Series Multilock" made by Tyco Electronics/AMP Brand.
    The unswitched accessory connector only lacks the metal connector tab pieces(2) to be usable. Part # 173645-1 for wire size- awg 16-20.
    13 cents each.

Bill

Hi Bill.

It was a long time ago, but your answer persisted in the search logs, and today it solved a problem for me. Thanks for posting what you found, and thanks to SpyderLovers for keeping it where I could find it.

Pogo