PDA

View Full Version : Comm Options

wmjkweber02
03-26-2020, 05:48 PM
Back in the 80's. I tried a number of driver/passenger communication systems. None of them were worth the powder to blow them up with. I would hope the technology has gotten a lot better since then. What recommendations do you all have?

Beaudog
03-26-2020, 05:58 PM
Sena 20

ARtraveler
03-26-2020, 06:17 PM
Sena is a popular brand on here. Go to their web site and check out the three versions. We have the 10, use it for bike to bike communication only. We are getting about three-four blocks direct line distance with it. Our older version of the same got half the distance.

The 20 & 30 will pair additional units and have a lot of the new technology stuff.

bluewoo
03-26-2020, 06:58 PM
Go here and save! I did on a set of 20s evo and work great!! I got lucky and found them as a pair.

https://www.sena.com/buy-sena/certified-refurbished-products

Elwood58
03-26-2020, 07:55 PM
We use Cardo Packtalk Bold. Previously used Cardo Scala Teamrider.

Brad0414
03-26-2020, 08:04 PM
Back in the 80's. I tried a number of driver/passenger communication systems. None of them were worth the powder to blow them up with. I would hope the technology has gotten a lot better since then. What recommendations do you all have?

u clear

bigbadbrucie
03-26-2020, 09:19 PM
Contact MotorcycleDave, one of our site sponsors and he can set you up with everything you need.

Flamewinger
03-26-2020, 10:25 PM
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/best-motorcycle-bluetooth-guide-2020?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=promotional-posts%7Cmdfn-promo-ftp_bluetooth_gearguides2020_ct-incr&utm_content=promotional-gear-guide&utm_term=best-motorcycle-bluetooth-guide-2020-030420-%7Cmdfn-ftp-banner-incr&fbclid=IwAR06tdKoDOlsqId86q-MXSfvnjvk1tinuyxdOvEpgP8866ExB-7ADZloFk0

KX5062
03-27-2020, 10:09 AM
My vote is for the Sena too. Like was said, try our site sponsor Motorcycle Dave.

RapidSpyder
03-27-2020, 10:27 AM
IMHO Dave was actually cheaper than Revzilla plus we’re supporting one of the sponsors of this site and at the same time a small business.

MONK
03-27-2020, 11:25 AM
I tend to ride alone so I don't need the extended 2 way comm capabilities. I use mine for BT connections to the bike for GPS and music. I have a SENA SMH10. Works great for me. YMMV

Big Juice
03-27-2020, 11:44 AM
Several good options out there. My wife and I use Sena 20s and they do us a good job. Be sure to check with Motorcycle Dave (on this site) for much more info about communications! His customer service is beyond exceptional......

SICARIO
03-28-2020, 02:00 AM
My wife and I just bought a pair of Sena Evo 20's...pricey but worth it and they were on sale. Apparently Sena is due to come out with an updated version soon.

Motorcycledave
03-28-2020, 02:16 AM

I have just what you want at DISCOUNT PRICES CALL ME 209-887-3283
Dave
I am your friendly neighborhood Spyder Lovers SENA Dealer Dist. )

LongIsland
03-28-2020, 08:33 AM
I vote for Cardo Packtalk or Freecom.

KX5062
03-28-2020, 09:35 AM
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?129780-Sena-SF4-or-Cardo-Freecom-4-plus

larryd
03-28-2020, 11:39 AM
I need new radios...Thinking about Sena 10S...But I have questions...I want to be able to talk to my passenger without pushing a button to talk or vox...When I turn the radios on, I want them ON ALL THE TIME...Anyone with the 10S know if they have the feature???

I have had many sets of Cardo Scala Team Riders that I could put the talk all by pushing one button at start up and they stay on all day...NO VOX, NO BUTTONS TO PUSH TO TALK...I WANT THIS SAME FEATURE...

I do not want to talk on my phone or listen to music thru my headsets...Maybe someday if my Nuvi GPS dies I would like to have a blue tooth GPS that I can hear thru my headset...MAYBE...I JUST WANT TO TALK TO MY PASSENGER, NO OTHER RIDERS EITHER...I'M OLD SCHOOL...AND TO OLD TO CHANGE...

ANY RESPONSIBLE FEED BACK APPRECIATED...THANK YOU, larryd

CopperSpyder
03-28-2020, 07:21 PM
Yes the 10s is on all the time. and if you get say a Garmin 660 or 595 GPS later you will be able to here that through your 10s also if you want.

grumpyoldretiredcop
03-28-2020, 08:58 PM
I'll admit to being the black sheep in this crowd... I still prefer a wired system. We use a MotoChello.

bikerbillone
03-29-2020, 05:31 AM
Mr. Grumpy, is it possible to do a picture of how this is mounted on your Spyder?

pieman9155
03-29-2020, 07:09 AM
i got scs s9 we got to use them yesterday

troop
03-29-2020, 07:49 AM
I also use a Sena 10S system, but with more efficient UClear Digital speakers. They work nicely until you're on roads with 75+ mph speed, as this is when they can start to get drowned out by ambient noises.

grumpyoldretiredcop
04-03-2020, 12:57 AM
Mr. Grumpy, is it possible to do a picture of how this is mounted on your Spyder?

I'll give it a shot:

Main unit installed in the space where the F3T CB/intercom would go. If you look carefully, just below the green electrical plug, you can see the auxiliary load center that powers the unit as well as our heated clothing connections. Main power comes from a conduited and fused cable from the battery and the auxiliary load center is switched on/off by a relay powered from the Spyder's auxiliary power connection under the passenger seat. It's important to use a grounded conduit or protected cable for main power to avoid electrical interference issues. Equally important is installing a fuse as close to the battery as possible to protect against overload or short circuit which could result in letting the magic blue smoke out of your power cable and maybe setting your Spyder on fire...

Control unit mounted on left bar using RAM mounting system (bottom of photo):

Driver's connection routed under bottom of display bezel and attached to tank deck via old school GoldWing headset plug mount (you can see it just below and to the right of the MotoChello controller). Passenger's connection exits under gap between rider's and passenger's seat bottom and laid along top of left saddlebag. No mount needed, it has nowhere to go when not used.

bikerbillone
04-03-2020, 05:22 AM
Thanks Mr. Grummpy, I'll be adding this to my bucket list of GPS options. One advantage on the 2020 RTL, there's a USB connection right up front in the 'glove box'.

grumpyoldretiredcop
04-06-2020, 12:10 AM
My pleasure. Forgot to add that I can link my phone to the Garmin via Bluetooth and either use it as a music source (not really needed since the Garmin has MP3 files and is connected to satellite radio) or make/receive phone calls (not that I have the mental bandwidth to talk on the phone and ryde a Spyder at the same time!). The MotoChello has a "Phone Mode" button on the controller.

larryd
05-06-2020, 07:58 PM
I need new radios...Thinking about Sena 10S...But I have questions...I want to be able to talk to my passenger without pushing a button to talk or vox...When I turn the radios on, I want them ON ALL THE TIME...Anyone with the 10S know if they have the feature???

I have had many sets of Cardo Scala Team Riders that I could put the talk all by pushing one button at start up and they stay on all day...NO VOX, NO BUTTONS TO PUSH TO TALK...I WANT THIS SAME FEATURE...

I do not want to talk on my phone or listen to music thru my headsets...Maybe someday if my Nuvi GPS dies I would like to have a blue tooth GPS that I can hear thru my headset...MAYBE...I JUST WANT TO TALK TO MY PASSENGER, NO OTHER RIDERS EITHER...I'M OLD SCHOOL...AND TO OLD TO CHANGE...

ANY RESPONSIBLE FEED BACK APPRECIATED...THANK YOU, larryd

Well I have ridden 2 times with my new Sena's 10s radios and I have a question or two and a comment or two...When setting still and my passenger starts to talk I can hear her speaking a moment before I hear her in my radio speakers, there is a slight delay...Any fix for this or is this normal??? Also when I turn the volume up that these old people can hear you get a booming affect in the speakers...I have modular HJC helmets and needed to use the boom mike, What a winky dink set up, you would think the mike would be directly connected to the radio helmet mount...Also the radios DO NOT come with a home charger, Another POOR choice by the manufacturer...

I have had Cardo's for years and have been very happy with them...I was close to purchasing Cardo Scala Freedom 2+ radio's for a hundred dollar less but I was influenced by members of SL and purchased them from a trusted sponsor...

Hopefully someone will have a suggestion as far as usage issues...

Responsible Feed Back Appreciated...THANK YOU, larryd

RICZ
05-06-2020, 08:50 PM
You might consider Cardo's Freecom 2 Plus. It provides all you want plus you can talk with one other rider, in addition to your passenger. Here's a link to a seller offering a pair for only $228.
https://motomummy.com/products/cardo-freecom-2-plus-dual-pack.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwwMn1BRAUEiwAZ_jnEjCxNBxwDR-aqh67tC70T-Pb-9MST4p-7VJbhCtfN3CXhZx4i2g04hoCrPsQAvD_BwE
For hands free, voice operation, there's the Freecom4 Plus, my favorite.
https://massdepot.com/FRC4P101?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseFeed&gclid=CjwKCAjwwMn1BRAUEiwAZ_jnElruz5s81EcI2vx7XcrU bg7Q_wnEtc4ikCZRbr03FizmIyjZmeDmUhoC2FMQAvD_BwE

CopperSpyder
05-07-2020, 09:18 AM
For help with Sena 10S and software and different mic if you want try looking here "click: https://www.sena.com/product/10s