PDA

View Full Version : What supplies should I take on road trip?

nanaskids
06-02-2011, 06:14 AM
We are leaving for Oklahoma/Arkansas next weekend 6/10-13, and I'm curious as to what ya'll take on long road trips, ie., oil, fuses, etc.

Just in case . . . I'm just sayin . . .

thx
:yes:

Bob Denman
06-02-2011, 07:33 AM
That might be one of the toughest questions to answer (Well... maybe not as tough as, (Honey, Do these jeans make me look fat?") :shocked:
How far of a trip is it and how many days will you be on the road. Are you looking at Interstates or seocndary roads?
I normally carry the minimum: (factory toolpouch) on day trips, but I will add a compressor and tire plugs to the list if I'm going to be off the beaten track...
I suppose that the key might be in making sure that your Spyder is ready for the trip before heading out... :thumbup:

docdoru
06-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Cell phone, list of Can-Am dealers programmed in your GPS, Best Warranty card and CC. :doorag:

nanaskids
06-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Will check out the bike before we even leave the driveway. We will be doing the Talimena Scenic Hiway towards Mena, Ark. Then on Saturday, ride up towards Jasper and then south on the Pig Trail to Hot Springs. Friday and Saturday will be mostly back roads, with no cell phone service. I've read on several posts about fuses blowing or becoming loose, battery cables bouncing loose, etc. Just want to make sure I've covered all the bases before leaving the state and getting into "no cell service" in case of a problem. Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it!

Some Guy
06-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Lots of ideas here...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20580

flamingobabe
06-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Talimena is a beautiful ride....luch at Queen Wilamena....we rode up there a couple of weeks ago and the fog ...low clouds....were so bad you could not see 40 feet in front of you....at the Queen Wilamena you could not see your bike inside.....hopefully there will be blue skys for you...enjoy...be safe....

wukka
06-02-2011, 08:06 AM
This is a good for some ideas...

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reference/packing_list.php

Beyond that, I would recommend that you buy a good set of riding gear and wear that for the trip, and pack clothing for the destination. This ensures that you travel light and maximize space for parts, fluids, cleaning supplies, etc.

freebob
06-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Cell phone, list of Can-Am dealers programmed in your GPS, Best Warranty card and CC. :doorag:

CC straight or with ginger...:coffee:

BikerDoc
06-02-2011, 10:23 AM
for lengthy travel, especially in areas not familiar, I take a full REDA gas can.. Spyder gas gauges (the analog ones) seem notoriously faulty plus the Spyder isn't easy to push if you run out of gas

ARtraveler
06-02-2011, 11:31 AM
For long trips, I always have :spyder2: checked out by the dealer.

I carry the standard tool pouch, a set of torx screwdrivers, some locktite and the manual.

I always make sure the tires have good rubber--hopefully to avoid flats. Road obstacles are another issue though.

I am not very mechanically inclined--so don't carry much heavy duty stuff for repairs. :spyder2: has been good to me and has never broke down on the road--this covers 3 spyders and over 55,000 miles.

NancysToy
06-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Spare key, $100 bill tucked away in an envelope somewhere safe on the Spyder, Ride-On in tires or repair kit & compressor, space (emergency) blanket, spare drinking water.

Riot
06-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Mountain Money..for the non rednecks, a roll of toilet paper for the "emergency" stops.

wukka
06-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Mountain Money..for the non rednecks, a roll of toilet paper for the "emergency" stops.

"Mountain Money" - :roflblack: - first I heard of that was from you. But you are right, it has a million uses besides the obvious. I now keep a half-roll in the trunk.

Great suggestion...

nanaskids
06-04-2011, 06:31 AM
:yes:Thanks guys for all the input . . . ya'll are the greatest!!

Erags
06-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Search for the emergency trunk release, so you have a way to get to your tools if you keep them in the trunk, you never know. Our spyder has been in the shop for a week waiting on them to fix the problem with the key not opening the trunk or the seat.

zzneonzz
06-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Spare key, $100 bill tucked away in an envelope somewhere safe on the Spyder, Ride-On in tires or repair kit & compressor, space (emergency) blanket, spare drinking water.

What compressor do you carry with you? The I have blows fuses in the 12v outlet so i don't even bother carrying it with me usually.

DougB
06-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Don't forget the rattlesnake anti venom ... :)

NancysToy
06-05-2011, 03:02 PM
What compressor do you carry with you? The I have blows fuses in the 12v outlet so i don't even bother carrying it with me usually.
I carry the Slime. Hook to the battery jump start terminals under the seat.