PDA

View Full Version : Idle 12days-Hard to start

Captain Fin
10-19-2012, 06:42 AM
I just returned from my trip to Colombia and it took several tries to get the spyder started. The battery was charged, but it sounded like there was not fuel getting to the engine. The spyder was idle for 12 days. Is there a starting procedure for the spyder if it has been idle, or should I have prepared the spyder in some way to have been idle for the 12 days.

Bob Denman
10-19-2012, 06:58 AM
The fuel injection system should take care of feeding the engine regardless of how long the bike has sat... :dontknow:
If the starter was turning things over okay and it's getting fuel AND HAS SPARK at the right time; it's got to pop!
tell us about your plugs and wires...

revjvegas
10-19-2012, 07:05 AM
If its been sitting 12 days, how much longer has it been since the last fill up with fuel?
Ethanol where you are?
If so, after 30 days that stuff can become a pain if it draws in moisture.

Just an idea.

NancysToy
10-19-2012, 08:26 AM
It should not have made any difference how long it sat. The Spyder does not have a carburetor, where gas can evaporate from the float bowl. Could be bad fuel, tired plugs, or some other issue. If it continues you need to see your dealer or do some troubleshooting yourself. Putting some SeaFoam or marine Stabil through the tank won't hurt, but may not help.

Captain Fin
10-19-2012, 08:53 AM
The fuel injection system should take care of feeding the engine regardless of how long the bike has sat... :dontknow:
If the starter was turning things over okay and it's getting fuel AND HAS SPARK at the right time; it's got to pop!
tell us about your plugs and wires...
The spyder was purchased new April of 2012 and has 7400 miles on it. It is starting with no problem now. I use recreational fuel. I use the spyder almost every day, so the fuel should not have been very old. It was as if no fuel was getting to the injectors. I did smell fuel on the 4th attempt to start. I rolled the throttle about half open on the 5th attempt and it fired up.

boborgera
10-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Just a hiccup, I wouldn't worry too much about it, Or read too much into it.:thumbup:

Hberninger
10-19-2012, 09:29 AM
In addition to my Spyder, I have a '98 Honda Nighthawk. It has four cylinders and four carbs with tiny jets. The gas today is so bad, that if I leave it set for 2 - 3 weeks, I need to turn off the peacock, run it until it dies, and open up the drains in the bottom of the carbs or else the junky gas will gum up the jets. My uneducated guess would be that it took some time for you to flush out any gum that was building up. Seafoam or Stabil helps.

TexasSpyder
10-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Hate to show my lack of knowledge, but what is recreational fuel? That is a new one for me.:dontknow:

J. D.

NancysToy
10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
The spyder was purchased new April of 2012 and has 7400 miles on it. It is starting with no problem now. I use recreational fuel. I use the spyder almost every day, so the fuel should not have been very old. It was as if no fuel was getting to the injectors. I did smell fuel on the 4th attempt to start. I rolled the throttle about half open on the 5th attempt and it fired up.
It was semi-flooded for some reason. Cracking the throttle is the standard solution. Usually it only happens on hot restarts on 2010 RTs. If cracking the throttle does not work, open it all the way to prevent starting, crank it through to clear the cylinders, then start normally. If it continues, see your dealer.

Captain Fin
10-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Hate to show my lack of knowledge, but what is recreational fuel? That is a new one for me.:dontknow:

J. D.
Recreational fuel is 90 oct. Non ethanol